tuxedo rental QM2

stevet2607

Can anyone tell us the cost of renting a tuxedo on a transatlantic crossing? Trying to decide if I should buy one. Thanks

I posted the same question and the replies I got made me realise it is better to buy than hire. Especially due to the cost it is not cheap to hire from QM2. One of the members posted a price list if you want to find my post.

Current Tuxedo Rental Prices – QM2

Tuxedo rentals are available onboard; we are unable to pre-reserve or take orders. Please note that shoes are not included. Prices are subject to change without notice.

Black Tuxedo Packages # of Nights USD

1 night $85.00

2 night $125.00

3 night $170.00

4 night $210.00

5 night $250.00

Individual Items - Per Night Item USD

Black Jacket only $37.25

Dress Trousers $30.00

Dress Shirt

Normal collar - sizes 15 to 19

Wing collar - sizes 15 to 18 $16.95

Bow Tie $6.95

Cummerbund $10.00

Handkerchief $5.00

Waistcoat $18.50

Can anyone tell us the cost of renting a tuxedo on a transatlantic crossing? Trying to decide if I should buy one. Thanks

Hello Steve,

As stated in the replies from 'balf' and 'north east girl', it is MUCH cheaper to buy than rent at Cunard prices. Further, it could be the case that the rental shop does not have your particular size or fitting - it has been known in the past!

Also, is a white jacket acceptable as an alternative to black, and what about coloured bowties?

If you ask the traditionalists, they will tell you that a gentleman's evening dress suit should be black (trousers and jacket). That said, it has become more acceptable in recent years to wear a white (or cream coloured) tuxedo jacket with the black evening dress trousers, particularly in warmer climates (tropics, Mediterranean etc.).

Bow ties should always be black, as should cummerbunds (if worn). Again, the traditionalists would always insist on a self-tied bow tie, as opposed to a ready-tied one.

Incidentally, should you elect for the self tied bow tie and have not tied one before, do allow at least an extra 10 minutes to dress for dinner, as the frustration of tyeing, untying, retying, grimacing in the mirror, rubbing aching arms, etc. will take some considerable time!!!!

Whatever you decide on, have a fantastic crossing.

Regards,

David

Also, is a white jacket acceptable as an alternative to black, and what about coloured bowties?

White jackets are acceptable if you are a waiter or if one is on a cruise in the tropics, they are never acceptable in the Northern Hemisphere. Coloured bow ties are worn by some, personally I only wear them on non-formal nights but never on a black tie evening.

White jackets are acceptable if you are a waiter or if one is on a cruise in the tropics, they are never acceptable in the Northern Hemisphere. Coloured bow ties are worn by some, personally I only wear them on non-formal nights but never on a black tie evening.

But Cap'n, I have heard that white DJ's are fine after Memorial Day. Do you have Memorial Day? Anyway--after May 30th--and until Labor Day--do you have Labor Day?-- which is the first Monday in September.:)

At any rate Steve, they look very nice. I certainly would consider one if you are crossing in the summer.

PM, I believe that a lot of things are accepted in the USA that may not be so accepted elsewhere. It must make finding a waiter difficult in the US dusing the summertime.

Many of the waiters wear black tuxes, including the waitresses, complete with black bow tie (self tied , or course) and black cummerbunds. So it becomes a bit easier under those circumstances.

Current Tuxedo Rental Prices – QM2

Black Tuxedo Packages # of Nights USD

1 night $85.00

2 night $125.00

3 night $170.00

4 night $210.00

5 night $250.00

When I enquired for someone some while back, they made it clear that the number of nights related to the number of formal nights - so hire on a transatlantic would be $170.

Clearly buying is probably cheaper.

Don't listen to those trying to persuade you that hand tied bow ties take ten minutes - I had reason to wear one of those infernal ready tied things on a recent crossing (it related to a wager) and it took me ten times as long as normal to work out the adjustment et al.

But Cap'n, I have heard that white DJ's are fine after Memorial Day. Do you have Memorial Day? Anyway--after May 30th--and until Labor Day--do you have Labor Day?-- which is the first Monday in September.:)

At any rate Steve, they look very nice. I certainly would consider one if you are crossing in the summer.

No. A white Dinner Jacket is never acceptable on a crossing. It makes you look an ignorant fool, which you would be.

Harsh, possibly, but true certainly.

No. A white Dinner Jacket is never acceptable on a crossing. It makes you look an ignorant fool, which you would be.

No it won't because apart from the half dozen or so self appointed style

and etiquette frantasists who inhabit this board and whose calendars are permenantly turned to 1907 no-one else will give a badgers bottom. Certainly not the other 500 white coated males you will see swanning around the boat on formal nights.

Gari

No it won't because apart from the half dozen or so self appointed style

and etiquette frantasists who inhabit this board and whose calendars are permenantly turned to 1907 no-one else will give a badgers bottom. Certainly not the other 500 white coated males you will see swanning around the boat on formal nights.

Gari

Now, now Gari.. what happened to Schtum Gari. I knew you couldn't resist.

Now, now Gari.. what happened to Schtum Gari. I knew you couldn't resist.

True Oh Wise One, but when a stick as big and sharp as "ignorant fool" is brandished in the face of all and sundry then one MUST perforce return to the breach.

God for ~Gari ~England and white coats.

Gari

True Oh Wise One, but when a stick as big and sharp as "ignorant fool" is brandished in the face of all and sundry then one MUST perforce return to the breach.

God for ~Gari ~England and white coats.

Gari

True, I assumed Laconia to be of the female persuasion, and that led me to wonder if I had ever been married to her. :eek::eek:

Laconia, are you talking about a summer crossing? Perhaps it is as the Cap'n says, that there are two different thoughts of what is proper, the UK and the US. Etiquette says within the US that a white DJ is proper in the summer in the northeast and all year round in sub-tropical climates.

"When can I wear a white dinner jacket?

White dinner jackets can be worn when an invitation requests black tie attire. In the northeast the jackets are worn between Memorial Day and Labor Day. They are also worn on cruises or in warmer climates year round. Are formal wear rules different in the summer? The same tuxedos are used in every season, although in the summer you can wear a white dinner jacket."

Probably the best plan would be to wait until you were on the US side of the Atlantic and then wear your white DJ with pride. Perhaps a small American flag in your pocket or, at the very least, a US flag lapel pin would help your cause.:D

By all means, buy a tuxedo! It wll almost pay for itself on the first voyage.

If you buy only one set of evening clothes go for the black. A white dinner jacket is never kosher at anything billed as "formal."

As a side note, a tuxedo jacket should have a shawl collar or peaked laels, it should not have notched lapels.

I recommend Joseph A Bank (josabank.com) as a good source of evening wear.

By all means, buy a tuxedo! It wll almost pay for itself on the first voyage.

If you buy only one set of evening clothes go for the black. A white dinner jacket is never kosher at anything billed as "formal."

As a side note, a tuxedo jacket should have a shawl collar or peaked laels, it should not have notched lapels.

I recommend Joseph A Bank (josabank.com) as a good source of evening wear.

Let me get this straight here. You are advocating, presumably from experience, a purveyor of male attire (one hesitates to use the term 'tailor') who operates a BOGOF scheme for suits. And at the same time didactically informing us what is and is not 'correct' in the cut of a jacket. Might I respectfully suggest that there is a little inconsistency in this somewhere?

Gari

White jackets are acceptable if you are a waiter or if one is on a cruise in the tropics, they are never acceptable in the Northern Hemisphere.

Can I second that and totally agree with you capnpugwash?

Never, ever Ivory (read "White" or "Cream") dinner jackets on the NORTH atlantic. No exceptions.

When the officers wear white so can you. Not otherwise.

As a side note, a tuxedo jacket

Or "Dinner Suit"

should have a shawl collar

only if the jacket has no "vents" on the bottom rear of the jacket. If it has two vents then it should be a "double breasted" jacket with "peaked" lapels, if it has one vent then it should be single breasted and have "notched" lapels.

or peaked lapels.

only if the jacket is double breasted

it should not have notched lapels.

it should if the jacket is single brested and has one vent.

Archived