Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Sheesh! Looks like we'll be in Dubrovnik with five ships total. I'll be on the Star Princess.

The others will be the Voyager of the Seas :(, the Pullmantur Zenith, the Silversea Silver Spirit, and the Seabourn Odyssey. Am I missing any?

Any idea if the Star will be docked or if we'll be tendering? Where would we dock (if we dock)?

Also, this is one port my Mom and I were planning to do on our own. I figured we'd find our way to the old town, find an ATM to get Kuna, and then just wander and explore the old town. We'd also like to take the cable car ride for the view - will we wait in line for hours with so many people in town all at once :confused::(

Sheesh! Looks like we'll be in Dubrovnik with five ships total. I'll be on the Star Princess.

The others will be the Voyager of the Seas :(, the Pullmantur Zenith, the Silversea Silver Spirit, and the Seabourn Odyssey. Am I missing any?

Any idea if the Star will be docked or if we'll be tendering? Where would we dock (if we dock)?

Also, this is one port my Mom and I were planning to do on our own. I figured we'd find our way to the old town, find an ATM to get Kuna, and then just wander and explore the old town. We'd also like to take the cable car ride for the view - will we wait in line for hours with so many people in town all at once :confused::(

Thus far your arrival date is the busiest,over 12,000 cruisers in the old town. It does appear that your ship will be docked in the Gruz harbor, but with so many there may be changes. August is our busiest month with European land guests, so overall it is going to be a very busy and crowded day for you.

Don't think you will wait too long for the cable car, most guests can't find the entrance and give up too quickly. But it's August, who knows?

Thus far your arrival date is the busiest,over 12,000 cruisers in the old town.

:rolleyes: Figures! Of course, when I booked this cruise in March of 2010, there was no way of knowing that far in advance which other lines would be there - and I did check at that time but almost every port showed just the Star Princess. I guess Princess's itineraries came out first. We're trendsetters :D

I knew August was going to be crowded in Europe, but this was the only cruise that fit both my Mom's and my schedules.

It does appear that your ship will be docked in the Gruz harbor, but with so many there may be changes. August is our busiest month with European land guests, so overall it is going to be a very busy and crowded day for you.

Don't think you will wait too long for the cable car, most guests can't find the entrance and give up too quickly. But it's August, who knows?

I'm assuming it's possible to get a taxi at the port and go straight to the cable car? I figured that way we won't get lost trying to walk to it, it may be less crowded because the rest of the cruisers won't have found it yet, and walking back will be downhill :D

How long of a walk will it be back from the cable car to the wall, and where will that put us :confused:

You've said that taxi drivers will take Euro, but I'd certainly prefer to pay with Kuna if we can find an ATM at the port before getting into a taxi.

:rolleyes: Figures! Of course, when I booked this cruise in March of 2010, there was no way of knowing that far in advance which other lines would be there - and I did check at that time but almost every port showed just the Star Princess. I guess Princess's itineraries came out first. We're trendsetters :D

I knew August was going to be crowded in Europe, but this was the only cruise that fit both my Mom's and my schedules.

I'm assuming it's possible to get a taxi at the port and go straight to the cable car? I figured that way we won't get lost trying to walk to it, it may be less crowded because the rest of the cruisers won't have found it yet, and walking back will be downhill :D

How long of a walk will it be back from the cable car to the wall, and where will that put us :confused:

You've said that taxi drivers will take Euro, but I'd certainly prefer to pay with Kuna if we can find an ATM at the port before getting into a taxi.

Very good idea to take a taxi to the cable car, it's faster and easier than walking to it. There are some ATM machines in the harbor and you may have to search a bit and then find your taxi. The fare to cable car should be about 80 Kuna or 12 Euros, a difference of about $1.00. Wait until you get into the old town to find an ATM, there are many.

The cable car is positioned closer to the Ploce gate which is the far eastern entrance to the old town. Personally I never walk the wall in August, in fact we don't even bother to come to the old town during that time. Far too many people and much too hot and humid!

If you decide to walk the wall, you will be closest to the Ploce entrance. It is the easiest way up top, but then you begin the most difficult part on the land side. It's 2 kilometers long, with a grand total of 650 steps, mostly up until you reach the highest point which is Minceta tower. Then you begin the sea side which is the easier part with the better views. Think about doing half, beginning at the main entrance and walking the sea side only. The entire wall normally takes about 2 plus hours if you stop for the views and photos. Don't forget a sun hat and water, you will need both.

I believe I found it! - 8,413 people.

For some reason your number and mine seem to be off slightly. Our port authority website shows only 7,700 cruise passengers. Most of them will be off the Voyager at 3,800 and will be docked at the Gruz harbor.

The other ships are arriving after Voyager and I would get to the old town as quickly as possible if you're going to walk the wall. But do remember, it's going to be hot and humid and there's very little shade up there.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

We will be in Dubrovnik on August 11 aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam. Could you please tell me how many ships will be there that day and how many cruise passengers?

Thank you for all the information you supply. After reading your responses, I already know my sister and I will, hopefully, be taking the Cabrio bus and walking around old town. My daughters who are 29 and 27 will be walking the wall. I will try to remind them to bring water and wear a hat and sunglasses.

Thanks again.

Hello

Could someone tell me if ATM in Dubrovnik will accept American Express card?

If so, do we nned to have a four or five digit NIP?

Thank you very much for the informations !

Answer to the Amex question is no. You can use Visa and Mastercard and you must have only a 4 digit pin number, do not use words for you pin.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

We will be in Dubrovnik on August 11 aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam. Could you please tell me how many ships will be there that day and how many cruise passengers?

Thank you for all the information you supply. After reading your responses, I already know my sister and I will, hopefully, be taking the Cabrio bus and walking around old town. My daughters who are 29 and 27 will be walking the wall. I will try to remind them to bring water and wear a hat and sunglasses.

Thanks again.

You are the grand prize winner this morning, as yours is the only ship in port. Again that does not mean that the old town will not be crowded, we have many Europeans here on holiday in August. Also remember that the port authority website is not always accurate, there may be some changes and additions at any time.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

As an American living in Europe I am always curious about tipping in different countries so as not to offend.

Is tipping in Croatia similar to in the US? Primarily regarding taxis and restaurants?

Thanks again for your countless good pieces of advice. After all my research, I already know I'm going to want to return after my day in Dubrovnik.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

As an American living in Europe I am always curious about tipping in different countries so as not to offend.

Is tipping in Croatia similar to in the US? Primarily regarding taxis and restaurants?

Thanks again for your countless good pieces of advice. After all my research, I already know I'm going to want to return after my day in Dubrovnik.

If you are using the services of a cab for some type of excursion and the driver has offered a flat rate, you need not give him a tip. If you're on the meter, it's best to just round up to the next Kuna amount. Yesterday I used a cab to get home from grocery shopping, the driver helped me lug my stuff to the door, so I have him 5 Kuna for a 45 Kuna meter fare. He did help me with my bags and that was so worth it.

As for restaurants, many guests tip about 10% of the total amount. If your service was outstanding, slightly more. At my morning coffee ritual, I always just leave 10Kuna for a 8 Kuna cup of coffee.

Just a one day cruise stop in Dubrovnik is enough time to get a small taste of all the sites we have here. Croatia should never be just one trip, it takes 3 good trips to really enjoy our small country. North, central and south always leaving Dubrovnik as your final stopover. Best time is late September and early October, the European guests are gone and still too many cruise ships but our weather is lovely in the fall.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dubrovnik Travel Lady

I have read through this thread with much interest as we are visiting Dubrovnik on Oriana on the 29th July. I just wanted to say thank you so much for the time and effort you put into answering all the questions - I have found lots of relevant information and downloaded the map etc, and am looking forward to our day in Dubrovnik.

Hi Dubrovnik Travel Lady

I have read through this thread with much interest as we are visiting Dubrovnik on Oriana on the 29th July. I just wanted to say thank you so much for the time and effort you put into answering all the questions - I have found lots of relevant information and downloaded the map etc, and am looking forward to our day in Dubrovnik.

Thank you, I do hope you have planned your day accordingly, there are 4 ships arriving at 0800-0900 and departing at the same time. It will be very busy in the old town and this heat wave continues, very hot! Try to stay off the main promenade, use side streets and stop for a cold drink often. The very best gelato shops are not on the main drag, again use side streets. Do remember this thread was begun some time ago and prices have increased in many instances. Did you actually read the entire thread?

Dubrovnik itself is a piece of art, I do hope you enjoy my magical home.

Thank you, I do hope you have planned your day accordingly, there are 4 ships arriving at 0800-0900 and departing at the same time. It will be very busy in the old town and this heat wave continues, very hot! Try to stay off the main promenade, use side streets and stop for a cold drink often. The very best gelato shops are not on the main drag, again use side streets. Do remember this thread was begun some time ago and prices have increased in many instances. Did you actually read the entire thread?

Dubrovnik itself is a piece of art, I do hope you enjoy my magical home.

Yes, I have read the whole thread!

We visited Dubrovnik last year on Aurora and did a P&O excursion - walked the walls, visited the museum, wandered around the shops etc, so I do have a slight sense of bearing.

This time however we are going to DIY, hence more background research required! I see we are due to berth at Gruz, and the plan is to go up the cable car, so I think our plan is to get a taxi from the dock to the lower cable car station, or perhaps a shuttle bus to the town and then follow your walking instructions which I have printed off from one of your earlier posts.

We loved Dubrovnik and are looking forward to spending another day there.

Thanks again.

Yes, I have read the whole thread!

We visited Dubrovnik last year on Aurora and did a P&O excursion - walked the walls, visited the museum, wandered around the shops etc, so I do have a slight sense of bearing.

This time however we are going to DIY, hence more background research required! I see we are due to berth at Gruz, and the plan is to go up the cable car, so I think our plan is to get a taxi from the dock to the lower cable car station, or perhaps a shuttle bus to the town and then follow your walking instructions which I have printed off from one of your earlier posts.

We loved Dubrovnik and are looking forward to spending another day there.

Thanks again.

You mention that you visited a museum, which one? Please do not miss the Rupe, it's a wonderful place to spend a hot summer afternoon. If you walk to the cable car, stop at the Dominican church and museum, it's on the way. Again, a lovely place not to be missed.

Dubrovniktravelady,

My Wife and I will be on the Carnival Magic on Oct. 22,2011.

We would like to book an excursion to Medjugorje. Can you please let me know of any Tour Companies that you would recommend?

Our ship is scheduled to be in Port from 7 AM to 7 PM.

Also, how many ships are scheduled this day?

Thanks,

Chris

Dubrovniktravelady. Is there a tourist booth near the port? We will be there Oct. 30th on the Queen Victoria. Have been reading much of what you post and will be doing our own thing in Dubrovnik. Have printed maps of the old city, just wondering if there are brochures available. Thank you.

Russ

I had posted a few months back asking for pictures of the steps at Pile gate as i was concerned that i may not be able to climb them. Alot of you posted pictures which were appreciated.

I am happy to report that I am back from my trip and was able to climb all those steps at the Pile Gate and walked half of the wall. :D Was it crowded? No! It was raining and very windy so did not have to deal with crowds or heat. You did have to watch to make sure you did not slip. Our pictures, despite the dreary day, came out gorgeous and one would never know it was raining. If i can figure out how to upload them I will.

Thanks to everyone and to Dubrovnik Lady for encouraging me to try it ;)

My husband who has a lung condition was able to walk the walls and we completed the whole circuit, albeit slowly. He missed out on climbing the towers etc as we walked round and had a rest to get his breath back whilst I went up but he still enjoyed fab views over the coast and city

Dubrovniktravelady,

My Wife and I will be on the Carnival Magic on Oct. 22,2011.

We would like to book an excursion to Medjugorje. Can you please let me know of any Tour Companies that you would recommend?

Our ship is scheduled to be in Port from 7 AM to 7 PM.

Also, how many ships are scheduled this day?

Thanks,

Chris

Sorry as a local resident I cannot recommend any tour companies, as per cruise critic rules. However, I do believe a day trip to Medjugore might be a bit too far for your limited time in Dubrovnik.

Dubrovniktravelady. Is there a tourist booth near the port? We will be there Oct. 30th on the Queen Victoria. Have been reading much of what you post and will be doing our own thing in Dubrovnik. Have printed maps of the old city, just wondering if there are brochures available. Thank you.

Russ

The Dubrovnik tourist bureau is located at Pile Brsalje, which is where all ship shuttle buses drop passengers. They have an entire wall of brochures available there. You can also use their website to decide which historical or cultural site might interest you prior.

Six ships in port, a grand total of over 11,000 cruise passengers!

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/index.php

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Sorry as a local resident I cannot recommend any tour companies, as per cruise critic rules. However, I do believe a day trip to Medjugore might be a bit too far for your limited time in Dubrovnik.

I have found a couple of private tour companies that have offered a 10 hour excusion.

2.5 Drive to get there. 5 hour tour of Medjugorje, and 2.5 drive back to ship.

I understand that you can not recommend any companies. I want to know if there is a way to research these companies for legitimacy.

Thanks,

Chris

I have found a couple of private tour companies that have offered a 10 hour excusion.

2.5 Drive to get there. 5 hour tour of Medjugorje, and 2.5 drive back to ship.

I understand that you can not recommend any companies. I want to know if there is a way to research these companies for legitimacy.

Thanks,

Chris

Already I am wondering about this firm you've found. I did the drive from Trogir to Medjugore a few years ago, boring and long. But spending 5 hours there, I can't imagine. Even if you walk up the mountain, spend time in the church all that is left is to wander the gaudy stalls selling articles - it's become a giant flea market. I was so disappointed in how the area has become so cheap and tacky.

I also question the 2.5 hour drive time, I find that to be rather conservative. The driver cannot guarantee your arrival back at the ship prior to sailing. I would only consider a ship excursion and not anything you find online.