Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Make sure you stop at the Rectors Palace, they have a special device which can take WC guests up the steps. No charge for the service and it is there from our local MS society with a volunteer to assist.

You may want to ask the taxi to drop you at the Ploce (plo-cha) gate as it will be much less busy than the Pile Brsalje area with all the shuttle buses. Easy walk down the ramp into the old town from Ploce.

thanks again for your help!

Dubrovniklady I was wondering if you might be able to give me some advice on how to plan our day? We would like to see the wall, old town and the cable car. Will we have to time to do this without rushing?

Also wondering if we could fit in Placa Thoroughfare and Lovrijenac?

We will be coming on the Carnival Legend November 2nd, 2013. We are so excited Dubrovnik looks so beautiful.

Thank you for your help.

Dubrovniklady I was wondering if you might be able to give me some advice on how to plan our day? We would like to see the wall, old town and the cable car. Will we have to time to do this without rushing?

Also wondering if we could fit in Placa Thoroughfare and Lovrijenac?

We will be coming on the Carnival Legend November 2nd, 2013. We are so excited Dubrovnik looks so beautiful.

Thank you for your help.

On 01 November the opening hours for our sites will change to the shorter winter hours. The wall will be open from 0900 to 1500, cable car 0900 to 1700 (weather depending). When you say the Placa thoroughfare, I am assuming you mean the main promenade which we call the Stradun. Yes you will be walking on the Stradun, if you plan to visit the old town. Fort Lovrijenac will also have shorter hours, it is considered part of the city wall but a bit off the beaten path. Guess you can do it all, but depends on the hours your ship will be docked here.

I am curious if you are coming this year, or 2013? If next year, you have enough time to research. I strongly suggest you download the map which I have posted numerous times, it will help you with an overview of the locations of the sites.

Last year our summer weather was long and hot, well into November. The year prior November was wet, cold and windy. Who knows what this year will bring us, as April has been very cold, wet and windy.

Dubrovniklady, I want to thank you for the time you are taking to answer all the questions. I was unsure of what to do with our one day stop here, but, because of you, can't wait to experience Old Town and the Wall and just explore on our own. Will be arriving on RCI Splendour of the Seas on Sept 28th. Will there be many ships in port that day. Our itinerary states we will dock. Thanks in advance for your input.

Dubrovniklady, I want to thank you for the time you are taking to answer all the questions. I was unsure of what to do with our one day stop here, but, because of you, can't wait to experience Old Town and the Wall and just explore on our own. Will be arriving on RCI Splendour of the Seas on Sept 28th. Will there be many ships in port that day. Our itinerary states we will dock. Thanks in advance for your input.

There will be 5 other ships arriving with a total passenger count of 6,000. Your ship is arriving at 7am, departing at 1pm so you should be off as quickly as possible to have enough time to walk the wall, ride the cable car and explore the old town.

or can you just walk in? Do you know the hours and cost? Thanks

You do not need reservations to visit the Synagogue and it's small museum. Cost was 20 Kuna last year, do not know if it has increased for this season. Normally opens about 0900 but am not sure of the closing hours, earlier in the afternoon in off season.

On 01 November the opening hours for our sites will change to the shorter winter hours. The wall will be open from 0900 to 1500, cable car 0900 to 1700 (weather depending). When you say the Placa thoroughfare, I am assuming you mean the main promenade which we call the Stradun. Yes you will be walking on the Stradun, if you plan to visit the old town. Fort Lovrijenac will also have shorter hours, it is considered part of the city wall but a bit off the beaten path. Guess you can do it all, but depends on the hours your ship will be docked here.

I am curious if you are coming this year, or 2013? If next year, you have enough time to research. I strongly suggest you download the map which I have posted numerous times, it will help you with an overview of the locations of the sites.

Last year our summer weather was long and hot, well into November. The year prior November was wet, cold and windy. Who knows what this year will bring us, as April has been very cold, wet and windy.

Thank you for all of your help. We are coming in 2013 so we have plenty of time to research. The ship will be there from 0900 to 1800. Yes I was referring to the Stradun. Thanks for posting the hours. We are in pretty good shape so we should have no trouble getting around but I dont want to rush either. I am going to search for you map. Again, a big thank you! Mary

Edited by belkin

I found the map it is a great source of information. Will we be able to walk from port to Old Town (we are on Carnival Legend)? Also how far is it to the cable car if we exit at Ploce? Sounds like it is an easy walk.

I found the map it is a great source of information. Will we be able to walk from port to Old Town (we are on Carnival Legend)? Also how far is it to the cable car if we exit at Ploce? Sounds like it is an easy walk.

The walk from the port to the old town will take about one hour, mostly uphill via our business district. Not very interesting at all. Use your limited time here to walk the wall, about 2 hours and explore the old town. Arrival at Ploce gate can only be done by taxi, the ship shuttle buses drop all guests at the Pile Brsalje. The cable car is still not shown on the tourist map and yes it is located above the Ploce gate.

Since you have more than one year to plan, do visit the Dubrovnik tourist bureau website it will be helpful also.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady. A few months ago you responded to a post where I asked how far Mostar is from Dubrovnik and I found out that it would be impossible to do this in the time frame on our cruise. My Grandmother was from Mostar. My Grandfather came from a village which I believe was located somewhere in the mountains between Dubrovnik and Mostar. I don't know the exact name of the village so won't be able to visit his village. (He claimed it was the Maslac village because everyone in the village had that last name). I am trying to find a guide that could take us to one of the villages outside of Dubrovnik so I can get an idea of the village life. Plus, I still want to spend time in Dubrovnik since I grew up with Croatians from that area too. Can you suggest a village that we should visit that is not touristy and willl show me what true village life is like? We will be there October 18 on the Celebrity Silhouette.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady. A few months ago you responded to a post where I asked how far Mostar is from Dubrovnik and I found out that it would be impossible to do this in the time frame on our cruise. My Grandmother was from Mostar. My Grandfather came from a village which I believe was located somewhere in the mountains between Dubrovnik and Mostar. I don't know the exact name of the village so won't be able to visit his village. (He claimed it was the Maslac village because everyone in the village had that last name). I am trying to find a guide that could take us to one of the villages outside of Dubrovnik so I can get an idea of the village life. Plus, I still want to spend time in Dubrovnik since I grew up with Croatians from that area too. Can you suggest a village that we should visit that is not touristy and willl show me what true village life is like? We will be there October 18 on the Celebrity Silhouette.

Had to think about this before I posted. Village life during the grandparents day was so different from what is happening here now. My mother was born in Orebic, on the Peljesac peninsula and when she left for American in 1928 it was small and quaint. When I began to visit the Dalmatian coast in 1971, not much had changed just a tad larger. Today it would be difficult to find village life, tourism has changed much of the uniqueness of the coast.

Going inland you will find many small villages, not much has changed for many, many years. However with your time constraints, it would be difficult to make a trip inland far enough to find these small villages. There is a strong possibility your grandfathers village is now part of Bosnia, since the boarders changed after the 1991 homeland war.

The closest small area close to Dubrovnik would be in Konavle area, but again it has been rebuilt from total destruction to a small town and filled with tourists.

If you are really interested in finding more about your heritage, it would require a land trip and you would be able to drive inland with without having a time table.

Keep in mind that Croatia, especially the Dalmatian coast has been Europe's best kept secret for many years. European travelers are now visiting on off, off season and October is still very high season.

I apologize for not having a being able to help you much better. Start planning your land trip for next year, I will still be here to assist.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Dubrovnik Lady: Can you please send me your notes at tbarnes105@aol.com. I have read through only three pages but enough to know that I need those notes!! Thanks so much. Trish

P.S. We miss you in California....

I am not the poster with the notes, you can find her several posts above. Keep in mind that I began this a few years back, there are many, many duplicate questions. Perhaps a visit to our tourist bureau website would help you also.

Please keep in mind, some entrance fees will have changed. Example the cable car fee is now 87 Kuna, yes they do accept credit cards.

Believe me when I tell you that I do not miss California.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/

Thank you for your reply. It looks like I will need to do a land tour. But, I still think I will like to also see the areas outside of Dubrovnik, along with also seeing the city. I have e-maile a few private guides to see what they can show me. Should I ask them to show me the Konavale areas? Most likely, his village is in Bosnia. They came over in the late 1800's and it was Austria/Hungry at the time. They spoke Croatian and I grew up going to Croatian events. My Grandmother was actually from Mostar, which is in Bosnia. But, her very close friend was from Dubrovnik.

DLady:

We are ex-San Diegans and do NOT miss California in the least! :p

Just wanted to post and say that we had the pleasure of experiencing your extremely lovely city last week while aboard the Seabourn Spirit. I had lurked on this thread enough to learn the basics, and we were simply delighted with our entire day. Walked the walls for several hours, strolled through Old Town and shopped, lunched outside near the marina, wandered up the main street and found a quiet park with killer views and walking paths, walked back, sipped wine in the plaza, and reluctantly returned to our ship. Your city was so clean, and our photos are amazing.

BTW.... a few days later we ported in Pula, where we took a bus ride up to Rovinj. Loved that (almost) as much as our day in Dubrovnik. Croatia will be a "do-over" for us. :)

DLady:

We are ex-San Diegans and do NOT miss California in the least! :p

Just wanted to post and say that we had the pleasure of experiencing your extremely lovely city last week while aboard the Seabourn Spirit. I had lurked on this thread enough to learn the basics, and we were simply delighted with our entire day. Walked the walls for several hours, strolled through Old Town and shopped, lunched outside near the marina, wandered up the main street and found a quiet park with killer views and walking paths, walked back, sipped wine in the plaza, and reluctantly returned to our ship. Your city was so clean, and our photos are amazing.

BTW.... a few days later we ported in Pula, where we took a bus ride up to Rovinj. Loved that (almost) as much as our day in Dubrovnik. Croatia will be a "do-over" for us. :)

You may want to start planning a land trip or even perhaps a small sailing ship, not that Seaborn is big. However you can charter a small sailing ship with a maximum of 6 cabins and that is how to experience the many small islands on the Dalmatian coast.

You may have walked past me since I was waiting at the dock where you tender for friends. Next time let us have a coffee together...

I have appreciated reading all the tidbits of travel in Dubrovnik on this board. Thank you for sharing your city with us.

I had planned on following your suggestion to see the Rupe Granary, but I wanted to check its schedule. I read it is now closed on Tuesdays. Please say it's not so!

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

We will be in your beautiful country very soon, we leave the UK on May2nd! The weather here at present is dreadful, very wet & cold. I was wondering if you could give me an up to date forecast for the weather in Dubrovnik for the 12th May? Is it likely to be ok?

Also, how much are the walls this season? Has it gone up?

Really looking forward to visiting Dubrovnik & Split & I thank you for all your helpful imformation which I've kept a note of.

Many Thanks

I have appreciated reading all the tidbits of travel in Dubrovnik on this board. Thank you for sharing your city with us.

I had planned on following your suggestion to see the Rupe Granary, but I wanted to check its schedule. I read it is now closed on Tuesdays. Please say it's not so!

I was at the Rupe just about one month ago, they told me it would be open 7 days a week. Please do not rely on the online data, much of it has not been updated for many years.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

We will be in your beautiful country very soon, we leave the UK on May2nd! The weather here at present is dreadful, very wet & cold. I was wondering if you could give me an up to date forecast for the weather in Dubrovnik for the 12th May? Is it likely to be ok?

Really looking forward to visiting Dubrovnik & Split & I thank you for all your helpful imformation which I've kept a note of.

Many Thanks

It has been cold, wet and windy for most of April. This morning we had a rain storm for about 2 hours and then the day turned warm and sunny. Wish I could predict the weather for next week but our forecasters here never seem to be correct. We are all waiting for the sun to shine for a full day soon.

The wall fee of 70 Kuna per person has not yet increased, but it could change tomorrow or next week. There is never any advance notice, it just happens.

I was at the Rupe just about one month ago, they told me it would be open 7 days a week. Please do not rely on the online data, much of it has not been updated for many years.

Awesome, that's a relief. We are lucky to have you as our knowledge base! Thanks.

Dubrovniktravellady I was reading a post in another forum that was talking about a restaurant that was built outside the city walls on the ocean, they talked about walking the wall until you came to an opening. Just wondered if you know the place? Are you allowed to recommend a place to eat?

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

Many Thanks

An update for our weather, today was wonderful warm and sunny. Took Abby, our poopy, out several times for a stroll along the sea side. The Adriatic was bright blue/green and flat as glass. Temperatures for the rest of this week are going up, hope to have 25C by Sunday next. My webbed feet are finally begun to disappear.