Wifi Question

STLPilot

Does anyone know if you can simply pay an elite member a discounted rate to borrow his/her wifi and if they can have multiple connections running??

The wifi rates on Princess lines are robbery. They are paying pennies for that bandwidth and are charging ridiculous rates.

I know I'm only paying about $70 a day to ride this boat, but even a motel 8 gives you free interwebs.

Theives!

Any arrangements you make with another passenger are between you and them. I don't know if you can have two sessins running at one time.

To make up for being so expensive, the access is very slow.

Any arrangements you make with another passenger are between you and them. I don't know if you can have two sessins running at one time.

To make up for being so expensive, the access is very slow.

No, you cannot have two sessions running at the same time under the same account.

I agree that the prices are high! However, in exchange I am now able to sail because of the reduced cruise fares!

I look at it this way: The cruise is inexpensive and I only have to pay extra for the things I want. I want internet, not everyone does, and I will have it in exchange for an evening at a specialty restaurant.

As the old saying goes: I can afford anything I want! I just can't afford everything I want! :(

Does anyone know if you can simply pay an elite member a discounted rate to borrow his/her wifi and if they can have multiple connections running??

The wifi rates on Princess lines are robbery. They are paying pennies for that bandwidth and are charging ridiculous rates.

I know I'm only paying about $70 a day to ride this boat, but even a motel 8 gives you free interwebs.

Theives!

But you do realize that internet connections of any kind are satellite connections onboard ships, I hope? I would guess that any passenger in their right mind would not risk selling their limited minutes to a stranger in fear of possibly loosing their captain's circle benefits altogether.:eek:

If you need to be online that much, especially with the low rates you are paying for your cruise, budget in your WIFI and let it go.

But you do realize that internet connections of any kind are satellite connections onboard ships
Satellite bandwidth connections are still relatively cheap. I used to have 5 mbps in my RV 6 years ago and it was $49 a month for 5mbps and yes, it could track the satellites in motion. Certainly the technology has improved and costs has gone down. The price is insane.

You know it's been almost 12 years since I've been on a cruise and things have changed a lot. However one thing that surprises me is that people actually believe that these new charges should just be "part of life" and we should be conditioned to think that everyone should have to pay the same price for their steward even though one person stays in an inside room and another person a double suite with a balcony. What is now called a "service charge" we used to call a tip.

Bottom line ... I'm not giving Princess a single dime on this cruise. Not a single penny and I'm going to post daily updates and a copy of my debarkation receipt to prove it. I'm also going to tip my steward cash for a job well done, not well expected.

Oh but don't get me wrong ... I am bringing a big fat wad of cash to blow on items "less conditioned" and more deserved.

Satellite bandwidth connections are still relatively cheap. I used to have 5 mbps in my RV 6 years ago and it was $49 a month for 5mbps and yes, it could track the satellites in motion. Certainly the technology has improved and costs has gone down. The price is insane.

You know it's been almost 12 years since I've been on a cruise and things have changed a lot. However one thing that surprises me is that people actually believe that these new charges should just be "part of life" and we should be conditioned to think that everyone should have to pay the same price for their steward even though one person stays in an inside room and another person a double suite with a balcony. What is now called a "service charge" we used to call a tip.

Bottom line ... I'm not giving Princess a single dime on this cruise. Not a single penny and I'm going to post daily updates and a copy of my debarkation receipt to prove it. I'm also going to tip my steward cash for a job well done, not well expected.

Oh but don't get me wrong ... I am bringing a big fat wad of cash to blow on items "less conditioned" and more deserved.

Great way to start a cruise. Angry.

Sounds like you would be a very pleasent person to sail with. :rolleyes:

If you have that type of attitude, why in the world would you even consider booking a cruise in the first place. :confused:

As far as the charges being accepted as a 'part of life', you have a choice whether to use them or not. But attempting to cause problems for someone else so you can 'cheat the system' shows me what type of person you really are. Sorry, just my opinion on this one, but you sound like you have a terrible attitude towards cruising even before you board the ship. I bet you have a GREAT time! :rolleyes:

HAHA! I don't get angry, I get upset. Now my bodyguard, he gets angry. :)

It just seems like everything in life has changed over the last 10 years and too fast. Nothing can be appreciated anymore ... these days you just simply pay for it.

But imagine taking a cruise one day coming back, going into a coma and waking up 12 years later ready to book another cruise. Imagine what you just learned that day.

"It just seems like everything in life has changed over the last 10 years and too fast" I agree here, do I like the changes? Nope!

One thing I can tell you though, 12 years ago you were probably paying the same price for a cruise that you are today. Only now there are bigger and nicer ships to choose from for the same, if not a lesser price per day.

And 12 years ago you didn't have internet access onboard, let alone Wi-Fi.

I find it difficult to understand why some feel that they should be entitled to MORE now, for the same if not a lower price, then they were charged 12 years ago. Sounds a bit like an ego problem to me. IMHO again of coarse!

True. The difference is that Princess is telling me that their cruise (room, food, boat ride) is not a luxury (based on your price/time comparison) and that Internet access is the new luxury because Americans are addicted to it like crack and I admit I'm one of them. With this knowledge of addiction the cruise lines are taking advantage of a "service", known as the Internet.

Oh and don't forget that prices a cruise can charge are based on their demand, not inflation or time/value of money. Gas is the same as it was 12 years ago and most forms of travel are cheaper now than they were 12 years ago, all in the same boat (pun). The main difference is that cruise lines aren't charging -less, they are taking advantage -more.

I'm not only upset with cruise lines and where they are going, but the mentality of man as well. I think I was just born at the wrong time in history, that's it.

Over the years cruise lines and specificly Princess have added a number of optional features. The internet, specialty restaurants, expanded spa offerings, pizza delivery come to mind. Each of these comes with a charge. If you want to take advantage of them, you will have to pay. If you don't want to pay, you pass on them.

Over the years cruise lines and specificly Princess have added a number of optional features. The internet, specialty restaurants, expanded spa offerings, pizza delivery come to mind. Each of these comes with a charge. If you want to take advantage of them, you will have to pay. If you don't want to pay, you pass on them.
Sorry but charging someone outrageous rates for someone to simply contact their loved ones ashore should not be an optional feature. The Internet was created to give people a low cost solution for communication. Princess and every other cruise line is getting it for micro fractions of what they are selling it for. I mean this goes way above and beyond the markup for a beer for instance, this is thounsds of percent increase in markup.

What in the world did some of us ever do when there was no internet and ship to shore phone calls (at an outragious cost) were all that was available? OMG, all those long cruises we took with no access to loved ones about killed me. :rolleyes: How did I ever survive? :eek:

I only wish I was paying the same for flights currently that I paid 12 years ago, I would be flying everywhere.

Jet Blue ... book a flight to Costa Rica for $99 each way! Air rates are much lower now than 12 years ago.

Gas ... well that was overboard, but $2, still around 7-8 years ago.

What in the world did some of us ever do when there was no internet and ship to shore phone calls (at an outragious cost) were all that was available? OMG, all those long cruises we took with no access to loved ones about killed me. :rolleyes: How did I ever survive? :eek:
You also paid a freaking bundle for that pleasure while you wore either formal or semi-formal (no smart casual) every night at a fixed time for dinner (no buffet much less a 24/7 buffet) and gentlemen HAD to wear a tie and jacket or they would be supplied with one at the door before entering the dining room. Heck, I remember the days when breakfast and lunch were at set times, too. And, I remember when Internet was first introduced on ships: they had two or three computers and you were charged the equivalent of a fortune for 15-minute increments (if you were on for 16 minutes, you were charged for a half an hour). Oh, and the beds were bunks that couldn't be pushed together. Aren't you just panting for the "good old days"?

You also paid a freaking bundle for that pleasure while you wore either formal or semi-formal (no smart casual) every night at a fixed time for dinner (no buffet much less a 24/7 buffet) and gentlemen HAD to wear a tie and jacket or they would be supplied with one at the door before entering the dining room. Heck, I remember the days when breakfast and lunch were at set times, too. And, I remember when Internet was first introduced on ships: they had two or three computers and you were charged the equivalent of a fortune for 15-minute increments (if you were on for 16 minutes, you were charged for a half an hour). Oh, and the beds were bunks that couldn't be pushed together. Aren't you just panting for the "good old days"?

You know Pam, you just reminded me of the "good old days" which were, in fact, not so long ago. The Sun Princess had a little computer room next door to the beauty salon. They had 3 1/2 computers, was only open if an attendant was present and the cost was $7.50 for 15 minutes or a portion thereof. Given today's internet packages, I think what we get now is a bargain! :D

You're comparing apples to oranges; terrestrial satellite like WildBlue and HughesNet licensed to operate in a specific geography with a single bird is quite cheap; but anytime you add "maritime" to the equation, add a zero. Or five.

Some comparisons: GlobalStar is 9600 baud, at $.99/minute for data, and Iridium was 2400 at a higher rate.

If you want to look at more robust solutions with truly global coverage and maritime-grade equipment, look at something like FleetBroadband from Inmarsat. I have no earthly idea what their VSAT hardware costs, but the cost per gigabyte transferred (with a term agreement) is a whopping $5000, at 384 kbps, or substantially slower than even the low-end DSL package from your phone company. If you're only cruising close to shore, you can get a Mini-M system with a little better speed (2M down, 1M up) for a mere $5K in hardware and something like a buck fifty a minute.

Overall, I don't deny that the data access is profitable. But it's nowhere *near* the same complexity as running a comparable-speed network for a Courtyard by Marriott or the like. Having spent $10/minute for ship-to-shore not all that long ago, this comparatively-cheap WiFi is awesome and lets me cruise more often, especially on itineraries with lots of sea days.

Sour grapes, seriously. If budgeting a couple hundred bucks a week, against cruise prices that are substantially lower than ever before in inflation-adjusted dollars is gonna bankrupt you, perhaps you need to consider more affordable vacation alternatives. The Courtyard near the Hanford Nuclear Reservation offers free Wi-Fi and I'll bet there's a Sizzler just down the street.

Wait.

Funny thing.

The Courtyard has a best rate of $160-before-tax with free WiFi. Meals, naturally, not included.

I took advantage of a recent flash sale for two weeks in an outside. For two, before tax, it's substantially less than that.

Enjoy your trip and that "free" WiFi. I hear the glow from the waste pits is lovely this time of year.

E

To cause even more hard feelings we just got off a twenty day HAL Noordam cruise where the interent was so speedy it scared me. I wonder why we're not supposed to have any negative comments that might cause better service from the cruise lines.

You're comparing apples to oranges; terrestrial satellite like WildBlue and HughesNet licensed to operate in a specific geography with a single bird is quite cheap; but anytime you add "maritime" to the equation, add a zero. Or five.

Some comparisons: GlobalStar is 9600 baud, at $.99/minute for data, and Iridium was 2400 at a higher rate.

If you want to look at more robust solutions with truly global coverage and maritime-grade equipment, look at something like FleetBroadband from Inmarsat. I have no earthly idea what their VSAT hardware costs, but the cost per gigabyte transferred (with a term agreement) is a whopping $5000, at 384 kbps, or substantially slower than even the low-end DSL package from your phone company. If you're only cruising close to shore, you can get a Mini-M system with a little better speed (2M down, 1M up) for a mere $5K in hardware and something like a buck fifty a minute.

Overall, I don't deny that the data access is profitable. But it's nowhere *near* the same complexity as running a comparable-speed network for a Courtyard by Marriott or the like. Having spent $10/minute for ship-to-shore not all that long ago, this comparatively-cheap WiFi is awesome and lets me cruise more often, especially on itineraries with lots of sea days.

E

Thank you for the info. I also believed that the OP was over-simplifying the costs for maritime internet access, but you have helped clear the air with some facts. Is Princess making a bit of change on their internet access packages?... sure, but I don't think it's as ridiculous as the OP asserts. IMO.

And STL, as someone else said, just use a port's internet cafe (follow the crew!) if you want cheap access. No worries...

You know Pam, you just reminded me of the "good old days" which were, in fact, not so long ago. The Sun Princess had a little computer room next door to the beauty salon. They had 3 1/2 computers, was only open if an attendant was present and the cost was $7.50 for 15 minutes or a portion thereof. Given today's internet packages, I think what we get now is a bargain! :D
This is exactly what I'm talking about, you think it's a bargain, but it's not. Satellite Internet access is cheap these days, real cheap. They are making a mountain of money on what we believe to be is a "bargain". Some of us have been duped.

This is exactly what I'm talking about, you think it's a bargain, but it's not. Satellite Internet access is cheap these days, real cheap. They are making a mountain of money on what we believe to be is a "bargain". Some of us have been duped.

You keep forgetting, internet access on a ship is optional. You are under no obligation to use it. If you feel the cost is unreasonable, boycott the internet.

Thank you for the info. I also believed that the OP was over-simplifying the costs for maritime internet access, but you have helped clear the air with some facts. Is Princess making a bit of change on their internet access packages?... sure, but I don't think it's as ridiculous as the OP asserts. IMO.

And STL, as someone else said, just use a port's internet cafe (follow the crew!) if you want cheap access. No worries...

Sorry I was over simplifying because I was aware of the prices. "Maritime" has nothing to do with the cost equation. Commercial maybe, but satellite IP systems do not know the difference between a construction site in Kenya or on a boat. The only difference is that the system utilizes some king of tracking dish which can cost less than a couple grand.

5mpbs on Hughes, $349 a month, commercial rate. That's for a month.

Listen I've seen threads of people complaining about everything and everything, most especially liquor, but this is a service not a drink. Beer and liquor only has hundreds of percent markup, I can assure you what you think is fair is a complete jab in the back.

But hey, I'm the bad guy, the one complaining. Princess, they should be given a medal for providing such a wonderful "service".

Since you are "not giving Princess a single dime", why do you care about the cost of internet or anything else? If anything, you should want them to charge more. If they make enough money on the optional extras, they may drop the cost of the cruise.

Archived