Uniworld - Danube Discovery

panzerman

All,

This is our first river cruise, and our first with Uniworld. Has anyone else taken this cruise with Uniworld? I have been reading the posts and am concerned with the mention of high water on the Danube. Is this cronic? Is it a seasonable event? Also, changes in itenariry and ship to ship docking. We are taking the July cruise from Vienna to Nuremburg direction. Any info you can share with us will be appreciated.

Panzerman

All,

This is our first river cruise, and our first with Uniworld. Has anyone else taken this cruise with Uniworld? I have been reading the posts and am concerned with the mention of high water on the Danube. Is this cronic? Is it a seasonable event? Also, changes in itenariry and ship to ship docking. We are taking the July cruise from Vienna to Nuremburg direction. Any info you can share with us will be appreciated.

Panzerman

We took this trip with Uniworld last May, except we traveled from Nuremburg to Vienna. (We also included a pre-cruise stay in Prague.) We had no trouble with high water on the Danube nor any change in itnierary.

Ship-to-ship docking is common on most river cruise lines and is really not much of a problem because most of your time in port is at night or during the day when you are out anyway on tours. As I recall, we had very little ship-to-ship docking on the Danube. If you'll send me your email (pjppaula@comcast.net), I'll be glad to send you an invite to see our pictures on Kodak Gallery.

We had a great time. Don't hesitate to asky any questions that you might have since this is your first river cruise. We really love this way of traveling!:)

Hello Panzerman-

Will you be on the River Princess? Sounds like you will be joining us in Vienna. Welcome! This will be our first River Cruise, too. One of my students just returned 2 weeks ago from a Grand Circle cruise (Vienna to Amsterdam). She says they were taken off the ship because of high water and taken to hotels, bussed along to the next cities, etc, until the water resided and the boat joined up with them. They saw lots of things that were not on their itinerary. She thought it all went well. It is my understanding that in the summer this is not as much of a problem.

Jacki and Scott

All,

Panzerman

We just returned from the Danube Discovery (which was the first leg of our first 14 day river cruise). We had no problem with high waters. I believe that usually happens in April when the snow melts. They did close the sundeck a couple of times due to low bridges. Our itinerary did not change, but we did dock once "ship-to-ship". This was not a problem as you are usually out on a tour and later cruising down the river to the next port. You will enjoy your Vienna to Nuremburg cruise. We sure did. See my review -- "We're back -----" on this page.

All,

Our ship is the Uniworld "River Countess" for the July sailing from Vienna to Nuremberg.

Panzerman

Our ship was also the River Countess which sailed with only 66 passengers. The ship is very nice and the crew is attentive and effecient. The ship is so small, that you meet most all the crew and they know you by name. They use the Vox Boxes on walking tours which is nice as you can be further away from the group, still hearing the tour guide, and taking your own photos etc. They also have a laundry room (2 machines) free for your use. but you need to bring (or buy) your own soap. Oh --- we were surprised to see so many locks. You'll enjoy the Countess. Wish we were sailing again!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sailaway5,

Just 66 passengers? Wow! Thats almost personal service! How was the food? We will be in a Catagory 2 cabin, are they quiet? What was the nationalities of the passengers? Any tours would you suggest? Any to avoid? Any Do's or Don'ts you can suggest will be deeply appreciated.

Panzerman

Sailaway5,

Just 66 passengers? Wow! Thats almost personal service! How was the food? We will be in a Catagory 2 cabin, are they quiet? What was the nationalities of the passengers? Any tours would you suggest? Any to avoid? Any Do's or Don'ts you can suggest will be deeply appreciated.

Panzerman

Yes just 66 passengers the first half of our trip - then 40 more joined at Nurenberg, but the service was still great. The cabin's were quiet. The only person I heard complain was next to the laundry room. But the laundry was closed at 9pm. We enjoyed the folklore optional tour (dinner) in Rudesheim and the Bavarian Heritage Village Museum in Passau. Where else does your ship go? We enjoyed all of the included tours. See my "We're back - Uniworld - Vienna to Nurenberg to Basel" on this board.

Do enjoy all the scenery. We even rode the bikes they provide on one of the stops on the bike path along the river to where the swans were..... beautiful.. Do learn how to stop and get off the bike as these bikes are higher than what I was used to. My DH had no problem, but it was somewhat of a challenge for me. Don't fall....!!!

All tables are for 4 - 6 or 8 guests in the dining room. If you want a special table (or waiter) at dinner, do get in line early after the evening port talk. They open the dining room at 7:00 pm for dinner which is open seating. We enjoyed the tables at the back of the ship. But really you could see out of the ship from everywhere in the dining room.

Oh - do pick up a map in the morning of the town you will be visiting from the CD's desk. Also pick up a little business card size paper at the pursers desk of the port you are in. This would be handy to know if you happen to miss the ship. Also, always make note of what time the ship sails. They are usually always on time.

Do use the toaster on the starboard side of the ship for "quicker" service. It is where the bagles or english muffins are. The larger rotating toaster is on the port side for various breads -- but it seems you have to put the bread in a couple times to get it toasted. I would start the toast in the toaster--- then order the omlet. Not many people used the starboard side toaster.

Do mail post cards at the purser's desk. All of mine reached their destination.

Can't think of any don't's. Will post more later if I think of any.

Do have fun and take lots of pictures.

Oh - you asked about nationality --- our cruise had Australians, US, English and Canadian's....

• 2 weeks later...

Saliaway5,

Thanks for the great info and experiences. We're now more anxious than ever! As it is our first river cruise and an expensive one at that we want it to be as enjoyable as we can make it.

Panzerman

Hi Panzerman

Have not done the Danube Discovery but did the Danube holiday markets in Dec 2008- Regensburg to Budapest. We had done the Rhine holiday markets in Dec 2007 - loved it so much came home and booked for the Danube markets-we sailed on the River Duchess, which if I am not mistaken is the sister ship of the River Countess. I just know you will have a fantastic time. The boat, service, food, place which you stop are 1st class.

My mom is actually going back Dec 2009 to do the Danube Markets a second time with my dad - this time Budapest to Passau.

Mom and I are also booked April 2010 on the River Countess for Tulips and Windmills.

The trips with Uniworld have been great and we are yet o fault them.

Have a super super holiday

Bean42,

Thanks for the Uniworld and River Countess info. It is reassuring to hear such good things about Uniworld as this is our first river cruise with any company, and Uniworld was AAA endorsed which is why we went with them. Any additional Uniworld or Danube river info is welcomed. We sail on the July departure, Vienna to Nuremburg.

Panzerman

Panzerman:

We did the "Enchanting Danube" with Uniworld in April and stopped in some of the same places that you will. In Melk, we took the bus to the Abbey (steep uphill), did the guided tour but then chose to walk back down hill, thru the village, to the ship. If you have time in Passau, take the transit van to the prince/bishop's castle over looking the city of Passau where the Danube, Inn and Iltz Rivers converge, wonderful view.

Oneadam12

Saliaway5,

Thanks for the great info and experiences. We're now more anxious than ever! As it is our first river cruise and an expensive one at that we want it to be as enjoyable as we can make it.

Panzerman

You won't be disappointed. We are Ocean Cruisers and this was our first River Cruise too. We definitely will be doing this again. The staff is so accommodating -- they make you feel so welcome. The tours were informative. We did take most all of the optional tours and were quite satisfied. Remember, when they say the tour is starting at 9:00 am, be there (in the lobby) a few minutes early. They are very punctual and that 9:00 am is probably when the guide has already started the walking tour -- or the bus is already loaded. We nearly missed one of our tours because we weren't there a few minutes early.

You're going to have a great time.

Oneadam and Sailaway,

Thanks to you both for the info and advice, especially the tour suggestions in Passau and the importance of punctuality for taking the shore excursions.

We leave Pennsylvania for Washington-Dulles on 8 July for our flight to Vienna where we will spend a short week touring with friends and then board the River Countess on the 14th for our cruise. Its getting close now and the excitement is building. It seemed so far away and long ago when we made the reservations back in February!

Panzerman

We did this cruise last October/November with a pre-cruise stay in Vienna. It was an absolutely wonderful cruise -- our first river cruise. We had only 43 on board and we had excellent service from the crew. All of the tours were great and I really loved the quietvox that we were given. Made the tours so much more enjoyable that you could actually hear the tour guide! One thing that I liked was the fact that when you're on the transfer back to the airport, Uniworld doesn't forget about you. They had a couple of people at the airport to make sure you found the correct airline counter. My husband and I were very impressed with Uniworld and we hope to do the Rhine Discovery this year.

Oneadam and Sailaway,

Thanks to you both for the info and advice, especially the tour suggestions in Passau and the importance of punctuality for taking the shore excursions.

We leave Pennsylvania for Washington-Dulles on 8 July for our flight to Vienna where we will spend a short week touring with friends and then board the River Countess on the 14th for our cruise. Its getting close now and the excitement is building. It seemed so far away and long ago when we made the reservations back in February!

Panzerman

No problem on the suggestions --- we're glad to help. Your trip is very near. I remember we booked over one year ahead and now we have been back for over a month. Great memories. I also took a journal and wrote down what we did each day. It helped me to stay organized and remember some details. Have a fantastic cruise. Bon Voyage.

We're very intrigued here at Cruise Critic because Uniworld has relatively new ownership (a few years now but that's baby talk in the river industry). We'll be sailing on River Beatrice next month and will give high points and low ones.

As the editor of the site, I will say that I assigned a River Royale (also Uniworld) cruise to a writer last summer who was a serious big ship kind of traveler and he loved it! The ship is different from Beatrice (which is really the new-Uniworld's first newbuild) but you get the aim of the cruise line in Doug's review. It's here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=475.

I'll also say that I'm a huge fan of the folks who own Uniworld (also own Trafalgar Tours and the very luxe-but-not-pretentious Red Carnation Hotels). So we'll see. I'm predisposed to like Beatrice but I also have pretty high expectations :)

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Bean42,

Thanks for the Uniworld and River Countess info. It is reassuring to hear such good things about Uniworld as this is our first river cruise with any company, and Uniworld was AAA endorsed which is why we went with them. Any additional Uniworld or Danube river info is welcomed. We sail on the July departure, Vienna to Nuremburg.

Panzerman

Please write reviews on your river cruises (good, bad or indifferent) and submit to Cruise Critic as we all have so much to learn about this niche of cruise travel. It's funny, but river cruising (same with luxury cruising) has been a bit oldy-moldy for a long time, very traditional, a bit stuffy. But, and as with luxury lines, we're seeing just about every river cruise operator designing not only new ships but also new programs onboard to appeal to a more active traveler (whatever the age) and so there's a renewed enthusiasm about this form of travel.

Do you agree?

Carolyn

My wife and I have been on several ocean cruises and decided last year to try the Uniworld Christmas Market cruise. I can't say enough good things about Uniworld (and did on our evaluation of the River Duchess). The company is unbelieveable!!! From their office staff to the crew and tour guides they go out of their way to make the cruise memorable. We liked the cruise so much we signed up for one with Uniworld in September and are booking another with Uniworld in April 2010. We have no reason to change cruise lines, Uniworld has proven to us that they are outstanding.

Thank all you who gave us advice and for the information you gave us, it all was absolutely correct. What a wonderful ship. I don't think I can do it justice in trying to describe all that we enjoyed, everything about it was great, from the friendliness of the staff and the passengers, to the service of the staff and the cruise director "Christian" who was really good and helpful, to the wonderful selection of food. There was always something you could find to enjoy eating. We recommend Uniworld and especially the River Beatrice.

Thank all you who gave us advice and for the information you gave us, it all was absolutely correct. What a wonderful ship. I don't think I can do it justice in trying to describe all that we enjoyed, everything about it was great, from the friendliness of the staff and the passengers, to the service of the staff and the cruise director "Christian" who was really good and helpful, to the wonderful selection of food. There was always something you could find to enjoy eating. We recommend Uniworld and especially the River Beatrice.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We are definitely going to try another Uniworld River Cruise again in the future (DH likes it better than the ocean liners). We also had "Christian" for our cruise director. He was awesome --- so knowledgeable and helpful.

• 7 months later...
My wife and I have been on several ocean cruises and decided last year to try the Uniworld Christmas Market cruise. I can't say enough good things about Uniworld (and did on our evaluation of the River Duchess). The company is unbelieveable!!! From their office staff to the crew and tour guides they go out of their way to make the cruise memorable. We liked the cruise so much we signed up for one with Uniworld in September and are booking another with Uniworld in April 2010. We have no reason to change cruise lines, Uniworld has proven to us that they are outstanding.

We are booked on the Princess 4/8/2010. Could that be the one that you are booked?

• 2 months later...

Archived