Formal Night - Carnival (Just Back)

aeronan

Just got back from the Carnival Triumph. I can honestly say that formal night really doesn't exist anymore.

There were some people dressed up with beautiful cocktail dresses and men wearing suits but they were not the norm (didn't see anyone in long gowns & tux). The norm was definitely more casual. Men no ties, or if a tie - no jacket, I noticed a lot of bermuda shirts. Women - I saw a lot more capris! We sat at a table where there was a mixture. DH was the only one wearing a suit and tie. 2 of the 3 other women wore cocktail dresses, but nothing real fancy!

I did not feel out of place, but I think DH did!

Just got back from the Carnival Triumph. I can honestly say that formal night really doesn't exist anymore.

Please be careful when making statements like this, and future people reading this please be aware.;)

You are talking about your ONE cruise, on ONE Carnival Ship, going out of ONE port.

You cannot say that formal night does not exist anymore based on that.

That was your personal experience on that one cruise. Period.

While this may happen more now, there are still lots of Carnival cruises where it is more formal.

Cruises around holidays, are far more dressy.

Certain ports lead to higher Formal percentages - Los Angeles Carnival Cruises tend to be very Dressy/Fashiony in general.

Lots of young people go all out from that port.

Cruises heading North tend to have more Formal attire...

So, thank you for the observation from your last cruise.

It's useful to correlate with other experiences in the future.:)

When we were on Carnival last summer, you would have looked out of place not in a suit and tie. Most people were dressed up.

The same on the 5-day Carnival cruise out of Tampa that I was on last May. I'd say about 95% looked beautiful!

I think sometimes the destinations for your cruise often determine how people will dress. Now, I have only done Med. cruises and only one Carnival Med. cruise but I did find people dressed very well for dinner-I'm the one who posted about wearing dressier jeans in the dining room, I hadn't seen it but wondered about it.

From what I've read here, there is a much more fun, casual atmosphere on Island cruises and people seem to dress to reflect that. On Med. cruises, it is generally the destinations that are the focus of the cruise so there is considerably less of a 'party' atmosphere-could be why Carnival keeps pulling ships out of the Med. When we went in 2007, the bars and dance clubs were almost empty at night. That is not to say it wasn't 'fun' but when you want an early start the next morning to go to Pompeii, you don't want to be up all night drinking.

I'm just saying that people on the Carnival Med. cruise I went on dressed very well for dinner and some to the hilt for formal night-I think it really depends on what kind of cruise you go on.

The Carnival cruises that I have been on I have seen many women in long gowns. Lots of cocktail dresses too. People still like to dress up. From my experience, the ones that didn't dress up were in the minority. I'm even thinking about wearing a long gown on my next cruise too.

There were some people dressed up with beautiful cocktail dresses and men wearing suits but they were not the norm (didn't see anyone in long gowns & tux). The norm was definitely more casual. Men no ties, or if a tie - no jacket, I noticed a lot of bermuda shirts. Women - I saw a lot more capris! We sat at a table where there was a mixture. DH was the only one wearing a suit and tie. 2 of the 3 other women wore cocktail dresses, but nothing real fancy!

Just cruised the Triumph a couple of weeks ago and have to say that there were fewer people ``dressed up'' on Elegant Night than we saw on our Triumph cruise in January. But there were still men dressed in suits and Tuxes. My husband even asked to take his Tux on this cruise even though he wore a suit on our January cruise.

When DH & I first started cruising, not so many years ago, we wanted to dress to the 9's on formal nights. DH even purchased his first tux (each part on e-bay) and I purchased my formal gowns (also on e-bay) to feel like we were fitting in with the crowd. We soon learned that we were actually dressing to the ``9's'' for each other because we always felt so special stepping out of our cabin together on ``formal'' nights. True formal wear isn't something we wear in our lives here at home unless we're attending a family wedding.:D

Fast forward a few cruises and we're content to wear dressy outfits on cruises, he in a suit and me in a coctail dress or a glitzy pants suit, on those nights. If we chose to go the more formal dress for those nights, we dress that way for each other because we want to, not because others may expect it.

Change in the charges for airline luggage and the general change in today's generations' lifestyles and clothing styles have put their mark on cruiseline's ``formal night'' dressing codes today.

Is it for the worse or better? DH & I don't worry about it anymore as we discovered we really don't care if DH is among the few wearing a tux on the ship or wearing a suit or even a blazer and dress slacks that night. And DH doesn't care if I'm wearing a full length gown, a coctail dress or even a glitzy pants suit that night.

We've learned to dress ``formally'' for each other, not for the thousands of others on the ship. If we feel good in whatever we're wearing as we step out of our cabin door that night, then we feel great together.

That's just our style and we're sticking to it.

Dianne

Don't you wish they would take Freestyle cruising to a fashion level? Not just destroy the old codes the way they seem to have done, but offering specific options.

I.e. -

"jacket & tie required in any sit-down restaurant on formal nights,"

"tuxedo required in the Posh&Snooty Restaurant on formal night,"

"on formal nights casual attire is only permitted at the buffet"

There wouldn't have to be any requirements for the women, since we know how we need to dress to suit jacket & tie or tuxedo...

That way there would be something for everyone. I understand that some people don't want to dress up, but it almost seems the pendulum is swinging the other way and those of us who do want to dress up are afraid to in case we are the only ones and look out of place or outdated...

Oh well. My first cruise is Sunday and hubby & I will be puttin' on the Ritz once, even if we are the only ones.

Milaandra, I agree with you! Don't be afraid to get all dolled up!! You and your husband will look great. I know in the past I have worn nice cocktail dresses and saw others in long gowns and thought that I wish I had brought mine.

I have no problem with only allowing certain attire in the main dining room on certain nights. If people don't want to comply, then there are other places to dine on the ships. I don't always want to get dressed up or rush back on board to get ready for dinner, so on several cruises haven't even stepped into the dining room. Maybe it's just me, but I don't have any problems with following the set rules or guidelines lol.

Don't you wish they would take Freestyle cruising to a fashion level? Not just destroy the old codes the way they seem to have done, but offering specific options.

I.e. -

There wouldn't have to be any requirements for the women, since we know how we need to dress to suit jacket & tie or tuxedo...

That way there would be something for everyone. I understand that some people don't want to dress up, but it almost seems the pendulum is swinging the other way and those of us who do want to dress up are afraid to in case we are the only ones and look out of place or outdated...

Oh well. My first cruise is Sunday and hubby & I will be puttin' on the Ritz once, even if we are the only ones.

Go for it and enjoy every minute of your Ritz night together. You will never regret it, no matter how many other couples are dressed otherwise.

Been on many cruises when we may have looked ``over dressed'' to many but we felt really special to each other about how we dressed for our own special night (or nights) together.

People just have to get over this ``will we fit in'' feeling. if you dress for each other and feel good about it, then go for it.

Dianne

PS: DH knows how much I love to see him dressed in a suit or tux. Have learned over the years that he dresses for me.:) And he has also learned that the suit or the tux spells the fun we will hve for the rest of the evening.:D

Please be careful when making statements like this, and future people reading this please be aware.;)

You are talking about your ONE cruise, on ONE Carnival Ship, going out of ONE port.

You cannot say that formal night does not exist anymore based on that.

That was your personal experience on that one cruise. Period.

While this may happen more now, there are still lots of Carnival cruises where it is more formal.

Cruises around holidays, are far more dressy.

Certain ports lead to higher Formal percentages - Los Angeles Carnival Cruises tend to be very Dressy/Fashiony in general.

Lots of young people go all out from that port.

Cruises heading North tend to have more Formal attire...

So, thank you for the observation from your last cruise.

It's useful to correlate with other experiences in the future.:)

I was correlating with other cruises when I made that statement (correlating with same cruiseline and with different ones). This year I saw quite a difference from attire than in previous years on same & different cruiselines. I don't know if it was just this particular ship or what - but there was definitely a difference. Myself & DH will continue to dress in a way that makes us feel good. ;)

I.e. -

I'm with you. I'm on LOS in Oct. I'm dressing every night. A little less so the first and last nights, but still nice. I have 5 nice dresses that I'm wearing in between.

We're leaving on the Triumph 5/25 out of Charleston, SC. How was the ship, food, etc.? I've read really mixed reviews, but the majority were very positive. How was their coffee, entertainment. Thanks so much for this information.

The thing that bothered me on Carnival was when people showed up to dinner dressed in the clothes they had obviously worn all day. I just felt like I was no longer on a cruise ship but out at Disneyland. I am talking about REALLY wrinkled shorts and tank tops. The dad and son were in wife beaters. I just felt like saying: at least put on fresh shorts and wife beaters.

Go for it and enjoy every minute of your Ritz night together. You will never regret it, no matter how many other couples are dressed otherwise.

Been on many cruises when we may have looked ``over dressed'' to many but we felt really special to each other about how we dressed for our own special night (or nights) together.

People just have to get over this ``will we fit in'' feeling. if you dress for each other and feel good about it, then go for it.

Dianne

PS: DH knows how much I love to see him dressed in a suit or tux. Have learned over the years that he dresses for me.:) And he has also learned that the suit or the tux spells the fun we will hve for the rest of the evening.:D

Dianne, I am going on the same itinerary as we did last

year:) but leaving a week earlier this time. (Labor Day week).

I will think of you and Gwynn while I am on the train going

up to Vancouver:)

(sorry for getting Off Topic).

We'll be sailing RCI Freedom of the Seas this summer for the first time, so I was wondering the same thing. Do people still dress up for formal night? I know its better to be overdressed than underdressed, but I don't want to have to bring the heels and dress if its not necessary.

We'll be sailing RCI Freedom of the Seas this summer for the first time, so I was wondering the same thing. Do people still dress up for formal night? I know its better to be overdressed than underdressed, but I don't want to have to bring the heels and dress if its not necessary.

I'm on Liberty of the Seas in Oct. I'm planning to dress every night for dinner, and so are many others that I've been chatting with in this forum, RC's forum, and RC Roll Call Forum. Many are planning to wear long dresses on formal night because they already have them. Plenty are planning to dress every night because they don't get to at home. If you don't dress, particularly on formal night, I think you'll be in the minority. I work with a few physicians who have been on Freedom and Liberty. They both said to dress nice for dinner. On Carnival's forum, I read mixed. Some said people were not dressed on their cruise, others say they were.

So wear what you're comfortable wearing, as long as it's neat, but I would, at the very least, dress for formal night.:)

Wouldn't you say the second formal night is more formal than the first?. I read it here before my first cruise and it did apply. People were alot more elegantly dressed the second formal night.

Wouldn't you say the second formal night is more formal than the first?. I read it here before my first cruise and it did apply. People were alot more elegantly dressed the second formal night.

Hi,:) are you asking in general? Or on a specific ship on a specific

line?

I sail Celebrity and both formal nights everyone looks lovely:)

About the same in terms of how dressy.

Archived