Ryndam June 27, 2010 Suites Closed?

CruiseShelly

We and another couple just booked on the Ryndam June 27, 2010 southbound from Seward to Vancouver. I was looking at the HAL website just now and noticed on this cruise HAL lists all the Verandah Suites BC up to S as "closed", as well as HH, N and NN.

Is there a way to find out why? Has someone (a corporation or group) already booked ALL those Suites? Or what exactly does that mean?

We and another couple just booked on the Ryndam June 27, 2010 southbound from Seward to Vancouver. I was looking at the HAL website just now and noticed on this cruise HAL lists all the Verandah Suites BC up to S as "closed", as well as HH, N and NN.

Is there a way to find out why? Has someone (a corporation or group) already booked ALL those Suites? Or what exactly does that mean?

Others have indicated on these boards that the verandahs and suites on one-way Alaska trips typically are held open for those who are doing a cruise/tour ... I guess HAL gives those pax first crack at those categories and, much later, opens them up to all. On roundtrip Alaska cruises, that is not the case. This is my understanding, based on comments made here about a year ago.

We have been caught in this situation twice -- 2003 and 2006. Our TA had to fight and go through various channels and supervisors to get our SA for us a year in advance being as we like to do back-to-back cruises.

HAL thinks that all the land portion people are going to book the suites -- all categories. On our 2006 cruises I made it a point to ask as many land tour people as I could if they had booked any of the suites -- they replied that the land portion was expensive enough and couldn't afford anything but insides and ocean views. Only a handful booked the verandah suites.

For the 2010 we were going to book Princess in order to do an Alaskan cruise but HAL now has a 14 day cruise that doesn't involve land tours.

• 1 month later...

I, too, was looking to book a 2010 southbound on HAL as I am doing my own landtour pre-cruise. Started searching, and EVERY cruise southbound has "CLOSED" verandahs!... May, June and July. I am very frustrated as I would like to start booking and planning the rest of the trip.

Archived