Portland, UK

Vaitape,

I've checked with Abbotsbury Swannery and they don't have a cashpoint. They are quite a small commercial operation so perhaps it's not surprising.

If you have some flexibility in your transport there is a branch of the HSBC Bank on the right hand side of the main road, less than 2 miles from the port towards Weymouth (and Abbotbury). If you put the UK post code DT4 9BQ into Google maps it will locate the position to within 30 yards and then go into Street View to view the building and the cashpoint on the front wall. Its address is 167 Portland Road, and is in a row of 3 small shop units. The post code will locate you on that road, but you may have to search up and down a little after you've positioned the Street View person on the map.

(I don't know if you've been to the UK before, but if you haven't the term 'main road' may mislead. Just have a look on Street View to see what I mean. Yes that is a main road, so you now know why driving times in the UK can be much longer than visitors expect.)

Have an enjoyable visit.

BlueVinney, you are very kind! Thank you for calling the Swannery for us...above and beyond the call....! No haven't been to the UK before (excited to get there now though) but have traveled extensively in rural Aussie and NZ so do understand the term "main road". Not exactly a freeway LOL. Thanks too for the Google map info. Hopefully we'll be able to make a quick pitstop to pick up some GBPs.

• 2 months later...

I forgot to report back here

We did a private tour around the area with http://www.extramileuk.co.uk/jurassic-coast-tours.htm

We rented the coach for 300 GBP with 12 passengers it was cozy I would suggest not more than 12, 10 would be better

We went to the Swannery, Dorchester, Weymouth & some of the countryside as well as Portland Castle

Just confirm with the driver where you want to go before you leave the port....we had a bit of a mis-communication about stopping at the Swannery but we got it worked out

The Swannery takes Credit cards if you can not find an ATM before you get there

Nice little coffee shop with homemade local goodies

There was a free shuttle put on by the town into Weymouth from the dock

We had a great fish n chip lunch in Weymouth at The Seagull Cafe right on the waterfront

This was the small order ;)

DSCF0227.jpg.a7a055cefbbca56aef4e3b2fd351b08d.jpg

• 3 years later...
We will be arriving at Portland on 7th May on the Eurodam. Does anyone know if the shuttle from the dock too Weymouth runs throughout the year? If not would a taxi be available and what would approximate cost be?

I would ask the cruise line or email the port authority

I would suspect it runs when a ship is in port ..you are not allowed to walk out of the port for safety reasons ..it is a working port

Our tour guide was delayed getting into the port area because he did not know he had to pre register for permission to be in the port area

Edited by LHT28