Please help with Alaska itinerary!

cruiselady78

I recently saw all of the great last minute pricing for the Holland America cruises. I really wanted to do a Southbound cruise so that my husband and I could get the chance to see Denali pre-cruise, but I don't think we will be able to based on the additional expense (flights to Anchorage instead of to Seattle from California, at least 2-3 extra hotel nights, rental car and/or train) and time needed to do that. So we are now looking at taking the roundtrip cruises in June from either Seattle or Vancouver. The one thing we definitely want in the itinerary is Glacier Bay.

The ships that leave from Seattle (Zaandam and Westerdam) visit Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria. The ships that leave from Vancouver (Zuiderdam and Volendam) visit Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, and Ketchikan.

--Since we are not going to make it to Denali this time (not sure when we will be able to make it back up to Alaska) which itinerary (port/excursion) would allow us to see the most and varied wildlife?

--Aside from the wildlife, which itinerary would you choose and why?

Thanks!!

--Since we are not going to make it to Denali this time (not sure when we will be able to make it back up to Alaska) which itinerary (port/excursion) would allow us to see the most and varied wildlife?

--Aside from the wildlife, which itinerary would you choose and why?

Thanks!!

Does the Seattle RT use all of the inside passage, up the east side of Vancouver Island, or open sea most of the way?

If yes, then flip a coin, if no, then leave from Vancouver for a more scenic and placid voyage.

As an alternative, take a one-way to/from Anchorage, leave off the land portion until another time.

As for wildlife, we found Juneau (book a whale watching excursion) to have the greatest variety. Lots of whales, seals, dall porpoise, eagles, etc.

Also, as we left Glacier Bay, headed for the Gulf of Alaska (we were on a northbound), there were tons of young humpies breeching, feeding and doing their thing. Whale spouts were everywhere.

Otherwise, either itinerary is good. If you miss Skagway, you cannot take the White Pass Railroad, but I understand that Sitka has it's charm, too.

I like the inside passage best which would be a Vancouver departure . . . however, Sitka is my favorite port. For our first time to Alaska, we were on the Westerdam with that exact itinerary. We had a great time! I think I'd choose the Seattle departure because of Sitka. The Westerdam would also visit Juneau.

We were in the same dilemma, but picked Vancouver because of the Inside Passage. There is much more scenic sailing on this itinerary and less open ocean. It also means for the possibility of smoother seas from everything that I read. We did this same itinerary 2 years ago, but this year I'm taking my mom and wanted her to see as much as she could!

we're just off the zaandam...did the west side of vancouver island....was open sea, but there were whales, large commercial vessels and it was calm....i liked the Z's itinerary....

sitka is charming, but i bet skagway is too.

im not sure i would like tracy arm AND glacier bay. either one would let you see most of what you go there for.

we had splendid weather...amazing for May i guess. it was a trip worth taking for sure. the only down side was getting to victoria at 7pm. a waste of a port. i think they have to hit a foreign port in order to justify not having a US crew. i may be wrong on that though.

either way i think you'll enjoy the HAL ships and ewither itinerary. we talked to some off an RCL when we returned to seattle and they had a terrible itinerary...their ship was too large to go close to the glaciers...we went very close and they made every effort to expose both sides of the ship to the scenery. he even slowed down when whales were present after leaving glacier bay....an amazing trip

Thank you all for your responses. It is looking like we will probably take the cruise out of Vancouver for the Inside Passage and calmer seas. I am interested in going to Sitka - maybe next time! It sounds like we will see plenty of ocean wildlife in Juneau.

Thanks again!

Archived