Bernard's Tours

Well, I had emailed Bernard and one other tour guide I read positive reviews on here. I set out what we would like to do while in St. Martin, asking if there would be enough time - and what the charge would be. Also, if there was a safer way to pay the deposit - other than email.

The other tour guide sent me a polite response. But it was a form letter. I know it was a form letter, as I've seen the exact letter here on Cruise Critic. There was nothing wrong with it - it was very informative and friendly - but it didn't answer any of my questions as to what we would like to do while there.

Bernard answered me directly. Each question. He let me know it was doable (what we wanted). And he even said he would be happy to call me to get the deposit if I didn't want to use email.

So, I'm very happy with our choice - Bernard. We aren't going until December 2010 - however, seeing as he books up fast/early, I'm glad to have found all these reviews this far in advance. :)

Now, I just have to patiently wait for the calendar to start moving. :)

That's the only bad part of cruising...............waiting for that calandar:eek:

BTW: http://www.bernardstours.com/

I was just on Bernard's sitre and it is working fine.

I am going to be on RCCL Independence of the Seas in FEB. My itinerary says we will be in St. Maarten from 8-6. Does anyone know if that means local time in St. Maarten? The reason I'm asking is because it looks like Bernard's tour starts around 9/9:30 and I don't know if that is an hour after the ship arrives or if it will be when the ship arrives due to time difference.

Does that make sense... :confused: sorry if my question is confusing!

I am going to be on RCCL Independence of the Seas in FEB. My itinerary says we will be in St. Maarten from 8-6. Does anyone know if that means local time in St. Maarten? The reason I'm asking is because it looks like Bernard's tour starts around 9/9:30 and I don't know if that is an hour after the ship arrives or if it will be when the ship arrives due to time difference.

Does that make sense... :confused: sorry if my question is confusing!

St Martin does not "recognize" Daylight Savings Time.

"Usually" you stay on ship time but Bernard will tell you to meet Island time. He adjusts and is aware at what time the ships dock.

Don't be sorry..........it's a very common question when port time differs from ship time.

Hope I did not confuse you more;)

One thing I had not thought of - I put down our date as 12/7/2010. Which they read as July 12, 2010. I had wanted/meant December 7, 2010. In retrospect, I should have just typed out the month, etc. to avoid confusion - however I had not thought about the fact that some countries put the #s in a different order.

St Martin does not "recognize" Daylight Savings Time.

"Usually" you stay on ship time but Bernard will tell you to meet Island time. He adjusts and is aware at what time the ships dock.

Don't be sorry..........it's a very common question when port time differs from ship time.

Hope I did not confuse you more;)

LOL I think I see what you are saying, but I'm still a little confused.

We will change our clocks here in the US later this year. So St Martin will not do so?

So when my itinerary says the ship will be there at 8 AM, is that 8 AM on the ship and also 8 AM in St. Martin? (the times are the same in Feb?)

I'm always so confused when it comes to time before the cruise... it's so much easier when they tell you for sure when you're actually on the cruise, but it makes planning a bit more challenging when thinking of the time differences!

LOL I think I see what you are saying, but I'm still a little confused.

We will change our clocks here in the US later this year. So St Martin will not do so?

So when my itinerary says the ship will be there at 8 AM, is that 8 AM on the ship and also 8 AM in St. Martin? (the times are the same in Feb?)

I'm always so confused when it comes to time before the cruise... it's so much easier when they tell you for sure when you're actually on the cruise, but it makes planning a bit more challenging when thinking of the time differences!

We are on the same time as St Martin now;)

"We" being those of you on the East Coast in Eastern Daylight Time.

It's pretty easy -- during Daylight Saving Time St. Maarten is the same as the East Coast. The rest of the year it's an hour ahead.

If you sail from San Juan, then they're the same year 'round, as San Juan and St. Maarten stay on Atlantic Standard Time.

The kicker in the whole thing is during the portion of the year when the times are different, will the Captain adjust the ship's time to match the destination, or not?

gary

Thanks for the clarification everyone - I think I get it now! ;)

One other question:

do you think there's enough time to go shopping in Philipsburg after the tour? Getting back around 3:30 seems to be a little close since I'll have to be back onboard by 5:30. That's my only concern about this tour... I'm considering doing a private tour with Joyce to cut out some time "on" the beach. (I don't really care to spend any time on Orient Beach since I'll be having beach days at 2 other ports on my trip)

If you book a private tour, just tell Joyce how much time to allow for shopping and she'll make it happen. Downtown (Front Street) shopping is just minutes from the Cruise Facility by tour/taxi/water taxi, and only 20-30 minutes on foot.

gary

p.s. You really should "see" Orient.

Bernard offers private tours as well. That's what we chose with him and all of us were very happy customers:).

He will show you "highlights" as well as anything else you would like.

He is well aware of traffic on the Island and will have you back to the ship no matter which of his tours you choose.

Well, Joyce is booked for the day I will be there, so that's no longer an option.

I think I will look into Bernard's private tour, and if all else fails - we'll just do the group tour.

I definitely want to "see" Orient Beach, but I don't really care to spend 2 hours there... although if I had to, I would. :)

I'm having trouble straightening out my day with Bernard. My fault for not thinking ahead and typing out the month - instead of using numeric abbreviations.

I got an email confirming my private tour, but it didn't list a date - just said I was confirmed. However, someone called my house & left a message asking me to email them verifying the date as they don't show the Magic being in St. Martin on July 12th. . .I had wanted December 7th.

Anyhow, I emailed - asking them to change the date, etc. and have not heard back. That was Wednesday.

Those that are familiar with Bernard, am I going to come across as the most annoying would-be-client if I email again? I don't want to turn into a pest. . .and our trip is very far away, so it's not like I'm pressed for time. However, I'd hate for his book to show us as July and him possibly miss out on someone else booking due to it. And I'd like to put this to rest on our side as "done" as well.

Thanks.

This is our first cruise and first trip out of the USA. So I am way out of my comfort zone.

I didn't want him to worry he was booking with a godzilla type. But I didn't want him to possibly lose out on tour $ either due to a wrong date.

I sent him another email.

:)

Thanks.

This is our first cruise and first trip out of the USA. So I am way out of my comfort zone.

I didn't want him to worry he was booking with a godzilla type. But I didn't want him to possibly lose out on tour $ either due to a wrong date.

I sent him another email.

:)

Your very welcome!

We have all been the 1st timers. It's a bit overwhelming.

My 1st I cruised alone with two twelve yr olds and also had never left the US. What I learned was not to try to do and see everything. I had booked things in every port and we were just exhausted. Cruising is SO much fun but it's late nights and early mornings.

You will just love Bernard.........his tour is relaxing and comfortable and he takes care of everything for you. I travel with my daughter and feel so safe and comfortable with him........I don't worry about a thing on St Martin. He is the only tour I will do while there.....Plus just love seeing him.

If I can help you out with any other questions regarding Bernard or your cruise........feel free.

Once you cruise you'll see how addicting it is and these boards are as well.

The best part though is the great people you meet along the way.:)

It is overwhelming. My DH is the "just tell me when/where to be" type. :)

Our cruise goes to 3 ports - right now my plans are

St. Martins - hopefully Bernards tour.

St. Thomas - we have a day sail/snorkle booked with Island Girl

Castaway Cay - beach bums. :) My DDs want to build a sand castle, and DH wants to try parasailing. I want to try a book and some tropical drinks. :)

I do hope we like cruising. DH has expressed wanting to go to Alaska next. And for him to offer suggestions is out of the norm. A cruise seems like a great way to see multiple locations, etc. As well as have built in fun for our twins.

We are going on the EOS October 29th to Nov 7th. We will be in St. Martin after the US turns the clocks BACK one hour. I get the fact that now St. Martin will now be one hour ahead of us, but what does that mean with the ship and meeting Bernard? I've been over this a dozen times and am still confused by all the answers. If we are supposed to meet Bernard @ 12:30pm, does that mean we are supposed to meet him at 11:30 ship time? Or does EOS change the clocks to match the port we are in that day?

We are going on the EOS October 29th to Nov 7th. We will be in St. Martin after the US turns the clocks BACK one hour. I get the fact that now St. Martin will now be one hour ahead of us, but what does that mean with the ship and meeting Bernard? I've been over this a dozen times and am still confused by all the answers. If we are supposed to meet Bernard @ 12:30pm, does that mean we are supposed to meet him at 11:30 ship time? Or does EOS change the clocks to match the port we are in that day?

It "should" be 11:30 ship time. Always double check onboard. Different line/ships do different time changes or none at all. The RCL ships I have sailed on have not changed the ship time while in St Martin.

I believe Bernard will tell you to meet him on Island time. It is easier for him to book Island time as so many ships do different times.

It always gets confusing during Daylight Savings.

Just always stay aware on the ship of the time and port times.

It is overwhelming. My DH is the "just tell me when/where to be" type. :)

Our cruise goes to 3 ports - right now my plans are

St. Martins - hopefully Bernards tour.

St. Thomas - we have a day sail/snorkle booked with Island Girl

Castaway Cay - beach bums. :) My DDs want to build a sand castle, and DH wants to try parasailing. I want to try a book and some tropical drinks. :)

I do hope we like cruising. DH has expressed wanting to go to Alaska next. And for him to offer suggestions is out of the norm. A cruise seems like a great way to see multiple locations, etc. As well as have built in fun for our twins.

It sounds like you have great plans. You'll be just fine. Now the hard part is waiting.........:p

I have a question, on Bernard's website it lists the tour as:

All day tour includes sightseeing, beach and shopping.

9:00am - 11:30am ~ Sightseeing

11:30am - 1:30pm ~ Orient Beach

1:45pm - 3:30pm ~ Shopping in Philipsburg

But many people say that they did the beach last? I'm just wondering because I am not sure my mom would be able to last 2 hours on the beach. So it would be nice if she could maybe skip that part and just head back to the ship. I thought that might be possible if the beach was at the end of the tour, but it looks like its actually in the middle of the tour???

Please clarify for me,

Thanks.

Maggie

It sounds like you have great plans. You'll be just fine. Now the hard part is waiting.........:p

Thanks.

Bernard did call me over the weekend to get the dates straightened up. Very nice man. Love the accent. :) He also said not to worry about the deposit right now - contact him 2 months prior to our cruise to set that up. But we are on his books.

Those that have done private tours with Bernard - what do you recommend seeing? I was trying to get an idea if there would be time to do the Butterfly farm along with other things we want. Bernard didn't think there would be a problem, but wanted a visitors perspective - if anyone has one.

Archived