Bernard's Tours

We JUST got back from our cruise on the Freedom of the Seas, and we had a full day tour of St. Maarten with Bernard's Tours. Let me add yet another terrific review of this company!

I booked the excursion based on reading reviews here on cruisecritic and other message boards and found this to be an invaluable resource. Booking the tour was done very easily through his website, and we were met right on time at the pier. Our driver was Junior, and there were about 20 of us on the bus, which was air-conditioned and in very nice condition. He had rum punch, beer, water and soda available throughout the day.

Our first stop was Rima's, a large store selling souvenirs at considerably lower prices than what you'd find elsewhere on the island. We were there for about 30 minutes.

On the way up over the mountains, we stopped at a lookout point for about 10 minutes for a photo opportunity.

Next stop was Maho Beach -- something I had specifically mentioned I was interested in seeing when I booked the tour. It was *fantastic* and such a thrill to see the planes come in! We were there for about 45 minutes and got some great pictures.

After that we went over to the French capital of Marigot. Along the way Junior explained many interesting aspects of life on an island shared by two countries. Different laws, currency, electrical voltage, phone coverage, power plants, law enforcement, schools, language, etc. We had about 45 minutes in Marigot to do a little shopping and have lunch -- be aware that prices on the French side are high!

Our final stop was the very famous Orient Beach. Junior explained the beach/chair rental policy and also which end of the beach was nude, in the interests of people looking for a more family-friendly experience. We had about 1 hour 45 minutes there, and then it was back on the bus, heading back to Philipsburg and the pier. People who wanted to do a bit more shopping were dropped off downtown; the rest of us were dropped off back at the pier. We all made payment as we got off the bus -- I saw someone asking if the payment process was awkward and I would say not at all. The entire day was about 6 and a half hours; from 9 am to 3:30 pm.

Some of the main reasons this is a great tour:

-- someone ELSE is driving and you can relax in air-conditioned comfort. To say the traffic on St. Maarten is crazy would be an understatement. It's beyond crazy. Junior told us there is only one traffic light on the entire island. Traffic is controlled through roundabouts and speed bumps. The island is very mountainous with tons of blind spots and there is a lot of construction going on. On a side note: while we were at the lookout point taking pictures, we saw a Jeep 4x4 excursion -- this is where you're driving your own rented vehicle but you have to follow the tour leader in another vehicle. At dinner that evening, we learned that one vehicle had gotten separated from the rest of the group in the crazy traffic and got lost. They *barely* made it back to the ship in time. So I highly recommend sitting back and letting a local, experienced person navigate the traffic for you!

-- ease of booking and getting on the tour. We were met *exactly* where we had been told to look. No taxi ride anywhere, just walk off the ship, go to the big yellow building and there they were.

-- variety. This tour had something for everyone -- shopping, sights, beach time and the excitement of planes landing over your head. I think the reason Orient Beach is left for last and the reason people have different amounts of time there is because traffic is very congested on the island. Leaving the beach for last gives you a flexible cushion of time to allow for traffic and making it back to the ship on time. Very wise planning, in my opinion.

-- education. We really learned a lot about life on the island from Junior, as he was born and raised there. One thing that sticks in my mind was the beautiful mountaintop resort we passed which had been destroyed by a hurricane in the 90s. Junior talked about how people help each other deal with hurricanes and how they have to be self sufficient in terms of water and electricity, since it can take months before services are restored.

A great day!

Thanks GUO67. I have a couple questions.... What time did they pick you up? how many planes did you see land at Maho? Do you remember the time you were there? What time did you get back to Phillipsburg?

Thanks!

I just talked to Deuce at Shore Adventrues. Shoreadventures.com is having technical difficulties with their site. Their server is down. It should be fixed today.

Any idea how I can contact Deuce? I cruise on Thursday and I still don't have vouchers from Shoreadventures. Their site is still down and phones are still out. I have contacted Bernard and I am set with him. I just want to get this cleared up and not be billed twice.

Hi there~~

We were picked up right at 9 am, and by 9:15 we were on the bus and under way. We were at Maho Beach from about 11:00 - 11:30 am. At the Sunset Beach bar, there is a big painted surfboard which shows the daily schedule of incoming flights. We saw the American Airlines flight come in just a few minutes after we got there (it came in early), and after that there was a plane coming in every few minutes. I think only the bigger flights get listed on the board. We probably saw a total of 8 - 10 aircraft come in; the big AA flight I mentioned, a bunch of smaller private planes and then this big corporate flight right when it was time to go. I should add that July is the off season for St. Maarten, and we *still* saw plenty of planes coming in. I can only imagine how busy it must be in their high season. Definitely a lot of fun hanging out there!

We got back to Philipsburg around 3:15 - 3:30ish. Junior said it was a 10 minute walk back to the ship for people who wanted to be dropped off downtown for more shopping. The rest of us stayed on the bus and were dropped off back at the pier.

Enjoy! ;)

I am in the process of booking a private tour with Bernards. Very, very, excited, based on the all positive reviews. But I have a question. On the website, it states that there is no security deposit required, as Bernards doesn't currently accept credit cards. In my email back and forth with them, they have asked me for a credit card number for a 20% security deposit!? I am more than happy to do it, but in reading the website, as well as a few reviews on this thread, I don't think I should have to.

Not trying to be a cheapskate. I just have had a couple of caribbean credit card fraud issues in years past and I try to be extra careful. If this is the norm and I am reading too much into it, so be it. But can any of you tell me if you were required to put a deposit down for your trips?

But can any of you tell me if you were required to put a deposit down for your trips?

We were not asked for a credit card when we booked our tour last month - we were just told "cash only" and paid at the end of the tour. That sounds a little bit fishy to me, unless he changed his policy. But I wouldn't be cool with giving a credit card number via e-mail like that.

Bernard has JUST started to accept credit cards. It took a long time for him to get the machine.

I am in touch with him all the time and I will let him know he needs to update this info on his web site.

The cash was always his way but he had to many no shows and had to do something as other tour operators do. Fuel is very high on the Islands and they also have a very slow time of year. He had no choice but to get a credit card machine as again.........he would lose to much when he had no shows.

I will email him with these concerns and post when he replies.

In no way at all would he try to "scam" anyone.

I emailed and had a reply from Bernard.........

He said just what I posted above.........

His words are he has been "forced" to take a 20% deposit for tours now due to customers making and confirming reservations and then not showing up.

You can email him with your concerns as well if it makes you feel more comfortable.

On a persnal note I have taken many tours/excursions that I have had to pay by credit card in full to confirm our reservation. Bernard and one other tour operator we use in Ocho are the only two I have ever paid in cash at the time of the tour.

Also Bernard just spoke with his web tech guy and the new credit card policy should be updated on his site by the end of next week.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate your help, Willb. Bernard actually just CALLED me because of my cruise critic post. Wow. I am shocked that he felt it necessary to call to ease my mind, but he did, and I am all booked!!!

That's what I call customer service. And we haven't even gotten to the island yet. This guy is good!

Thanks again.

I appreciate your help, Willb. Bernard actually just CALLED me because of my cruise critic post. Wow. I am shocked that he felt it necessary to call to ease my mind, but he did, and I am all booked!!!

That's what I call customer service. And we haven't even gotten to the island yet. This guy is good!

Thanks again.

Your very welcome!

I'm just glad I happened to be online and read your post.

I have stayed in touch with Bernard since our tour last April with him and will be touring with him next April as well. He is the nicest person we have ever met!

He takes great pride in his work and cares very much about showing his customers the Island and making them comfortable and happy.

I'm glad it all worked out for you:D

Do enjoy!!

Hello,

I read where you will be seeing Bernard this year. I would like to get a book to him. Is there anyway I could mail it to you, and you give it to him? We're heading to the Western Caribbean next year.

I really think this book would help Him & his Son out immensely. I know it did me.

Let me know.

Hello,

I read where you will be seeing Bernard this year. I would like to get a book to him. Is there anyway I could mail it to you, and you give it to him? We're heading to the Western Caribbean next year.

I really think this book would help Him & his Son out immensely. I know it did me.

Let me know.

Glad to help you out. I'll be seeing him on Monday, August 10th. What is your email address and I'll give you my information off line?

Chuck

Bernard has left a lasting impression on many of us. He is an extremely nice guy.

I know of posters at the last minute on the ship changing their minds and not doing tours. They had confirmed and then were no-shows. Also people I believe cancel their cruises and do not cancel the tours. It is inconsiderate to any tour guide not to show up for the tour with no previous cancellation/notification.

I could see asking for deposits (as a minimum) coming for all tour guides to try to secure tourists that book to follow through with the tour.

Please double check your tour(island) times in relation to ship time. On our Radiance cruise in Sept some posters had to cancel their tour (non cruise lines) because when checking Cabo times the tour would not allow enough safe time to return to the ship. I believe occasionally there is some confusion here also with not showing up at the right time for tours.

I am just sick we cannot get back out to St Martin again for a while due to DH's dizziness with flying then cruising.

Good news for his son.

Laura

For anyone interested in booking a tour with Bernard...just want to give you a "heads-up". I had been e-mailing him and he was very quick and helpful with his replies. However, do not know how it happened but Shore Adventures starting e-mailing me as well. They have Bernard's tour as one of their many (different ports too) excursions. I know in the past some excursion co's have re-directed me to use Shore/Ludot/Deuce so I was not concerned. Shore Adventures charges 20% up front, non-refundable when you can book directly through Bernard. So...definitely only book through Bernard. It's $35 vs. $44 pp and the travel co. does nothing.

You are exactly right about that...Bernard is "working out the kinks" for sure. He briefly tried to figure out a way to set up the credit card/deposit system. However, he is aware of the security issue and as such is not currently requesting any credit card info. or requiring the deposit.

That's funny that you say he's not requesting any credit card info or requiring a deposit. He requested it from me. I'm not gonna worry about it at this point. I have contacted my credit card to ensure they were aware of the charge coming through. Hopefully I don't have any problems here. I'll know soon enough.

That's funny that you say he's not requesting any credit card info or requiring a deposit. He requested it from me. I'm not gonna worry about it at this point. I have contacted my credit card to ensure they were aware of the charge coming through. Hopefully I don't have any problems here. I'll know soon enough.

If my recent dealings and numerous correspondence over a minor mistake I just had with Bernard or Shore Adventures is any indication of either or their business ethics, I can assure you there is no scamming going on there! I'd venture to say I'd feel comfortable giving them my social security # and mother's maiden name <----this comment from a banker and the original skeptic!

Bernard just very recently decided this due to concerns over credit card security. He must have asked you prior to that decision. Never hesitate to e-mail him for any questions or concerns. Laura

bernard1332002@yahoo.com

To those of you touring with Bernard soon.........ENJOY! Please come back and post as I know you will love Bernard and his tour.

Via emails with Bernard this week he had yet another group of 10 for a private tour not show:( They emailed him from the ship the day before and said they were all to sunburn to make the tour. He had turned down other private bookings....that is a huge loss of money for him. The new laws on the island do not let him take "walk-up" customers.

Things on the islands take very much longer than in the states.

He is trying very hard to get the credit card policy/situation worked out. He is doing his best and will get it all together so everyone is comfortable and happy.

Please give him the benefit of the doubt.

Archived