Leave Next Friday - Am I Forgetting Anything?

Travel-Jen

DH and I are leaving next Friday on our cruise. We are usually Caribbean cruisers, so this will be our first cruise to Alaska, and trip in a "colder" climate.

For June is Alaska, are we forgetting anything to pack? Should we pack shorts and short sleeved items or are we okay with what we have. This is what we have already:

-Passports

-Cruise Documents

-Cash, credit cards, traveler's check's

-Cell Phones

-Binoculars x2

-Camera

-Windbreaker jacket

-Waterproof jacket / shell

-Pancho's x2

-Umbrellas x2

-Hats, gloves, scarves

-Jeans

-Long sleeved shirts

-Fleeces

-Sweaters

-Gym Shoes

-Hiking Shoes

-Dinner outfits

-Formal Wear x 2

-Back pack, fanny pack

I think you have done well however you should probably include extra batteries for your camrera and a charger. If you have room for a pair of shorts and a few t-shirts then by all means throw them in....you just never know.:)

Hey Jen. Sorry, can't help you with your packing list, just wanted to say have a great trip! Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

Have fun!

Lanaki

My cruise sails this Saturday. As of this moment the forecast for all of our ports is sunny and high 60s to mid 70s. So we're all throwing in at least one pair of shorts and/or capris into our bags - and hoping the forecast stays true.

My cruise sails this Saturday. As of this moment the forecast for all of our ports is sunny and high 60s to mid 70s. So we're all throwing in at least one pair of shorts and/or capris into our bags - and hoping the forecast stays true.

We have ordered up sunshine for you on Saturday, be sure and wave as you go by...I'll be watching for you.:)

We have ordered up sunshine for you on Saturday, be sure and wave as you go by...I'll be watching for you.:)

I definitely will. I'm getting really excited about seeing your beautiful city - especially if everyone is as friendly and helpful as you.

Since you have ponchos and waterproof shells, leave the umbrellas and pack shorts and a tee just in case. From other poster comments, umbrellas can create problems bopping folks on the crowded streets, entering and exiting shops, and you are more than covered (ahem :)) with the other items you are bringing (though if everyone brought them, the sidewalks would look like bouquets :D)

I would throw in a surge protector plug strip. We read on this board that it would come in handy and it really did. With a multi-plug strip, you can charge all batteries, cell phone, camcorder, camera, laptop computer, etc. all at one time.

I would pack a water bottle for the back pack, unless you just refill one you buy. I would pack the umbrellas, we didn't have them and had to buy them. Didn't have to use them often, but sure came in hand when needed. We were on a 14 night so Tide packets came in handy for undies. It took two days for them to get our fold laundry back.

I did wear the short sleeve T shirt I packed, but wouldn't put more than one in again if you plan on buying any on your trip. Had the wind shorts, and they only came out in the gym. We stayed in the upper 50's.

Next time I will just bring a multi jack that plugs into the socket instead of the power strip. Extra memory card if you are taking lots of pictures. Canadian money, in a Canada port, if you plan on buying things with cash. Most places took US dollars, but some took it as an even exchange so we lost a little. We got a better exchange when using our credit card, we stayed two extra days in Vancouver.

Just came back, you will love Alaska!! if you have rain jackets with hoods, leave the umbrellas at home. We had a mega rainy day in Juneau and didnt see one person with an umbrella, everyone had their hoods on. All we wore when it was cool was a long sleeved top, a fleece jacket with a thin rain jacket over it. We didnt hike so our waterproof sneakers were good enough. We wore the hats and gloves only when we were near a glacier, we were very fortunate with the weather.

Actually I bought some small ziplock bags for longer excursions so we could take a few snacks from the ship. Worked out well. We also took a water bottle.

Had no problems with charging batteries etc. You may want to save your space and weight unless you have tons of things that need recharging.

I agree that you should leave the umbrellas at home. They are more hassle than they are worth. The biggest problem is that they get in the way in crowded little port towns. You could put an eye out with one of those things! Also, if you are going in and out of a lot of shops, you are constantly having to put them up and down and then carrying a wet umbrella through shops. If you have a good rain jacket with a hood, you don't need one! Here in the Seattle area, most people don't use umbrellas. I like to say that only tourists use umbrellas. :D

Travel alarm clock, or use the one in your cellphone. I second a memory card for the camera, and a multi-tap extension cord. The cords are cheap enough that you can buy one when you arrive at your precruise port, then donate it or simply leave it in your cabin at the end.

Have a great trip!

I am just wondering what all of you do when it is really raining hard and the wind is blowing? We had mostly sunny weather on our cruise, but had a couple of times hard wind driven rain, the first time jeans got soaking wet. Second time it happened we had our umbrella, saved us another laundry bill trying to get jeans dry. Ours were cheap and could have been tossed at the end of the cruise. We also didn't spend all of our time in the shops, so I guess it depends on if you are just in the tourist area only. We walked back from the waterfall at Mendenhall Glacier and I loved my little umbrella, no one around that I had to worry about poking in the eye, well maybe my husband ;) When not in use we just put them in the backpack semi wet. Oh forgot to mention we had the rain jackets and hoods, but that didn't help with the lower part of the body. I also had two pair of tennis shoes, they came in handy when the first ones were drying out.

Hope you don't need the slicker or the unbrella.

Don't forget to take your common sense. Every once in a while I see a tourist who left theirs behind. Not likely a problem for a CCr.

"If a man is talking in the woods and no woman is around, is he still wrong?"

Of course, says my wife!

OMG thanks everyone! I could have not become more prepared for this trip if it wasn't for all of you! We are excited, and I promise to write a trip report upon my return. Next Friday will be here before we know it!

I have read that it is good to take a travel insulated mug - for standing on deck and drinking hot chocolate, coffee, soup when glacier watching. I bought a couple today to take with us. I will pack them with a sock or two in them!!!

As we have an inside cabin, we plan to be on deck a lot. I had considered bringing small fleece blankets so we could snuggle up with a good book. What do you think???

As we have an inside cabin, we plan to be on deck a lot. I had considered bringing small fleece blankets so we could snuggle up with a good book. What do you think???

Depending on your cruise line, you may be able to check out a blanket for the week. I've heard that they are available on Princess, and I assume other lines would offer the same.

Depending on your cruise line, you may be able to check out a blanket for the week. I've heard that they are available on Princess, and I assume other lines would offer the same.

Celebriity had them on deck

Archived