HAL Oldtimer tips, please!

beauwalker

My DH and I took our first cruise on HAL in 2004. We knew nothing about cruising and nothing about HAL. We are now planning our 4th cruise (2nd HAL) on HAL's Oct. Black Sea and Egyptian explorer cruise. I think I understand 'cruising' but still feel like there is a secret password (or maybe decoder ring) needed to know how to make the most of the HAL experience. For example, I just read about 'wine cards'. Something like soda pop cards for wine? What a great idea! How do I sign up? Can I sign up on the ship? Are there liquor cards? Is there a way to get a bottle of liquor to drink in the cabin? Didn't see that option as a bon voyage gift.

It's hard to ask for help filling in the blanks, when I don't even know what the blanks are. So I ask all experienced HAL cruisers: what are the little extra things that make the HAL cruise special to you?

Thank you in advance.

All those things are available. Just sign on to HAL site with your booking number. There is a place where you can order wine cards. There are also cocktail cards, great deal, that offer 10 cocktails for about $65.00

Liquor can be ordered to your room pre-cruise and the cards can also. They can also be purchased once you are on board.

You can preorder flowers, which I like to do. When you get your docs there is a gift list that offers these things plus snacks, chocolate covered strawberries, etc.

Yes, you can order wine cards, soda cards, alcoholic drink cards through the HAL website, using the onboard gifts option (use the blue button that says online gifts, not the pdf). You can either buy them online or on the ship. And you can order bottles of liquor the same way, either through the site or onboard.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/OnboardGifts.action

Here are few tips:

1/ writing in Dining Room breakfast items on the room service card (for delivery only when DR is open)

2/ getting a rise out of the after dinner mint attendant by calling him the yum yum man

eh2zed: Do I understand that things that are not on the room service menu can be written in for delivery during dining room breakfast hours? Do you have any idea whether or not cappuccino could be substituted for coffee?

Haven't tried cappuccino but have done Eggs Benedict and other hot breakfast entrees. Others may know about the cappucino or go ahead and try it and see.

Thanks for all the tips. I did find the section on the HAL website where all the goodies are hiding. Don't know when I would have found it otherwise.

Loved the tip about room service. I would never have thought to put dining room items down,but I will now.

Any more secret tips out there?

how about french toast, waffles and pancakes??? can these be written in on the room service menu? we will probably be ordering breakfast in our cabin most mornings due to our busy itenerary and excursions, by around 7 at the latest. is this a reasonable time for these requests?:confused:

how about french toast, waffles and pancakes??? can these be written in on the room service menu? we will probably be ordering breakfast in our cabin most mornings due to our busy itenerary and excursions, by around 7 at the latest. is this a reasonable time for these requests?:confused:

You can write in these items but only for delivery when when the Dining Room is open. Typically at 7 am the DR is not open.

how about french toast, waffles and pancakes??? can these be written in on the room service menu?

Why not? As posted above, dining room menu items can be written in, and will be delivered as long as it's during dining room hours.

My DH and I took our first cruise on HAL in 2004. We knew nothing about cruising and nothing about HAL. We are now planning our 4th cruise (2nd HAL) on HAL's Oct. Black Sea and Egyptian explorer cruise. I think I understand 'cruising' but still feel like there is a secret password (or maybe decoder ring) needed to know how to make the most of the HAL experience. For example, I just read about 'wine cards'. Something like soda pop cards for wine? What a great idea! How do I sign up? Can I sign up on the ship? Are there liquor cards? Is there a way to get a bottle of liquor to drink in the cabin? Didn't see that option as a bon voyage gift.

It's hard to ask for help filling in the blanks, when I don't even know what the blanks are. So I ask all experienced HAL cruisers: what are the little extra things that make the HAL cruise special to you?

Thank you in advance.

When we sailed on the Noordam they were selling the wine card pool side just about the minute that we got on - don't worry you'll be sure to find someone who is selling the "card":)

Yes to your question- when we got on the Eurodam for 28 days we bought the 20 drink wine card and the mixed drink card. Heads up - this was new this trip for us- designated bars offered 2 for 1 usually from 5 - 6 but on our ship that did not apply to the wine or beer- bar tender said they dropped that because people were ordering those and keeping the second one in the room. Don't see that you could not do the same with the mixed but oh well. We found that between the two of us this combination worked well. In fact on the last night we bought a glass of wine for each of our seatmates on the same card.

If you are a coffee drinker - we take along a travel mug- easier to handle than the cups since there are no more trays and easier to carry about the ship. We like fries so often had a snack with a double order of fries and no sandwiches - took a while for me to realize that I can ask for things. Room service offers everything that is served in the dining room ( during their hours ) and the room service foods are limited after 10.

You can have your steward move everything out of your fridge - it won't leave the room - he will put it in one of the cabinets and then you can keep things in the fridge. We took wine with us - actually a case of it - that's why we only needed one card but we were on the ship a long time.

If you have a veranda and good weather - enjoy a meal from room service at sail away- one of our favorites.

If you are leaving the ship for some independent touring - you do not have to wait for them to tell you can leave through the announcements - watch the landing process and then wander to the gangway for the day

When we do an extended trip - we have found that we can put a lot into the laundry bag and depending on where you are - this is much more effective than dragging along a lot of extra clothes- I have finally earned to take the comfy clothes I love ( at the last minute I put in 2 pairs of jeans for this last trip and could have left all the daytime pants at home - I thank the poster from Denmark who said bring them - that's what we wear! ) and wash more often - a couple of pairs of dress pants and nice tops for evening and interchangeable outfits for dress nights- one pair of dress shoes and walking shoes that love your feet. The robes in the room are awesome- leave yours at home.

In the dining room- if there are two appetizers you like - order them - I cannot pass up escargots but on the nights there is shrimp - I get both- yum yum - sometimes i then pass on soup or usually the desert which is of no interest to me- our seatmates would often ask for ice cream ( from the menu) along with their desert. Also if you have any dietary concerns - let your server know on the first night or if it is extensive- talk to HAL before you go - I cannot have sugar - makes me sick- so our server was very careful to help me avoid issues. Try the fruit soups ( cold and yummy - don't even think about the calories!)- have been trying to replicate them with no luck- you will either like them or not.

Hope some of these ideas help and happy cruising!

Archived