Lanai Room on Veendam

jan can

There hasn't been a specific topic about the new lanai rooms so I thought I'd just throw in my two cents worth. We did the FLL to Vancouver via Panama cruise. This was only my third cruise. Now I've done interior, window and lanai room. Yes, the lanai was the nicest. The room possibly was a little smaller but my second cruise was with Carnival so not sure if a comparison is fair. As far as I'm concerned there was enough room. I don't cruise to spend time in my room.

There was a small couch that I presume could be pulled out to make a bed for a third person. Don't consider that option because you'd never be able to open the sliding door. Then the room would definitely be too small. There was also a small table and one small chair and a barrel/stool by the makeup table.

Unfortunately I can't show you any pictures as my camera decided to act right after we went through the Canal.

The finish they have on/built into the sliding doors provides total privacy during the day. Yes, you can see in at night when your lights are on but even then someone would have to take a good look to see clearly. We just close the drapes.

The biggest issue would be whether it is worth the increase in price to be able to step out onto the promenade deck. The chairs are supposedly dedicated to your room but I'm not willing to kick anyone out. I'm not decided whether they should be marked more clearly if you have paid for this priviledge or not. I can't see leaving them empty all day just in case I want to sit in them, or not.

IMO, for the Panama cruise because it was so long, it was worth it to pay the extra to be able to open the door and get some fresh air easily. Then again on that deck it was only a few steps to go out to the deck through a regular door.

One thing, they hose the deck and your doors down every morning at 5:30.

Now, that's an early morning wake-up call:eek: I have one of these rooms booked to Bermuda next year....oh well, I'm sure I'll survive:D

Thank you for explaining the Lanai room. We are planning a Western Caribbean cruise next year and I had seen that option on one of the ships (can't remember which one) and wasn't sure what it was - sounds interesting.

We experienced that last summer in Alaska on the Veendam. We were in an HH cabin and our heads just inches from the window. After that we were certainly wide awake!

Thank you for the description of the lanai rooms. I also have one booked and was wondering..if you go out the door to the deck, does it lock behind you and if so how do you get back into the cabin? Is it through the outside door or do you have to go back inside the ship?

That certainly is an early am wake up call.

Erica from Cruise Critic is blogging live from the Veendam in Alaska (sticky on Alaska forum with a sticky link on HAL forum). She is staying in a Lanai cabin & providing a wonderful first-hand account of all the changes post-drydock. She’s also posting pics & answering questions. Worth checking out especially if you're booked on the Veendam soon! :):)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=995241

We just returned from 17 days on the Veendam with the first part in a Lanai cabin. The view was lovely but the cabin is really small with the rearranged bed. We moved to a OV which was much larger!!

Thank you for the description of the lanai rooms. I also have one booked and was wondering..if you go out the door to the deck, does it lock behind you and if so how do you get back into the cabin? Is it through the outside door or do you have to go back inside the ship?

That certainly is an early am wake up call.

Yes, it does lock behind you. It is actually quite heavy and closes quickly. It took a few days for us to discover that we could get ONE key to the outside lanai door. You have to sign for it and return it on the final evening.

LOL - it really is an early wake-up. Fortunately I was going to bed much later that usual so could still get back to sleep.

Thanks so much for the info on Erica's blog. I enjoyed reading it and do wonder about how many people will leave those lanai doors open and disrupt the air conditioning for others.

Our room was cooking hot. The thermostat on the wall served no purpose other than decoration. I'd agree with the lanai doors being open as a possible problem except that this temperature was even in the middle of the night and doubt anyone had their door open.

Archived