Alaska - WOW!!!

DizzyDallasDi

There are a lot of good suggestions here.

One thing I'd mention is that as everybody knows, Alaska is an enormous place. The road system is very small, even by Lower 48 standards, so most of Alaska's area is invisible to car and cruise ship pax. That also goes for exposure to the bush in general, and in particular the bush communities and lifestyles that so set Alaska apart from other states with tourist value.

Cruises and land tours are great for visiting the most accessible attractions, but if you want to see more than that, you need to get off the road system at some point. That means flying, and fortunately Alaska has an extremely well developed internal airline and air taxi network, as well as numerous flightseeing and other services.

Is it cheap? Well, not especially, but many things are expensive in Alaska. A round trip flight from Anchorage to, say, Kodiak is around $350; to Nome or Kotzebue is around $450. But also consider that a good B & B room in Kodiak will be around $100, and a rental car in Anchorage will be close to that per day in high season; an RV will be around $250 per day plus mileage. So it's all relative. Even a simple flightseeing trip on a floatplane from Lake Hood in Anchorage can reveal the immensity and diversity of just the Cook Inlet region - icefields, oilfields, utter wilderness on the west side of the inlet, possibly an erupting volcano in the distance ;) - who knows.

Anyway, just a pitch for new Alaska "addicts" - you haven't seen the half of it.

now you must really see alaska beyond the 4 tourist ports you visited.

I have to agree with bottom-dweller. I just returned from my 1 week cruise (first time to Alaska) followed by a one week RV trip around the interior of Alaska. The sites on the land portion were just as spectacular if not better than the cruise portion.

I can't wait to return again. The state has so much to see and do that 1 week is not enough time.

Beatiful Photos...questionable if the Moody setting is better or worse than full sunsine..each have their unique beauty. Hope we see some whales this time, but not going on a whale watching trip... Hope to see from Tracy Arm small boat tour and/or Icy Strait even from the shore too many things to see & do and limited $$

What is your recommendation for extended travels beyond the Big 3 ports, i.e., Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan? I've also seen Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm -- both are spectacular! Do I need to do a cruise tour to gain a greater appreciation? Thank you for your input!

Diane

diane, glad you enjoyed your trip to the greatland. but there is so much more, alaska is over twice the size of texas. notice how many of the comments are by those that have made or are planning multiple trips?

i think the large cruise ships are a great bargain (convenience, time, and money) to experience a taste of alaska. to get the greater depth, i think you have to become an independant traveler which will take more time in planning and will cost more but you will get a chance to peak behind the facade of "the big three".

central, southcentral, and the east are most convenient as much is road accessible. southeast? things get more complicated as you must rely on scheduled ferry or aircraft to island hop.

you will also need to define what you appreciate; scenery, history, relaxing.

After reading this thread I am so excited! This is our first visit with our twin sons (15) Princess Diamond. I tried to get other family members to come - there response, "its so cold in Alaska, why do you want to go there"?! And we live in the :rolleyes: Northeast - so we know cold..LOL! I think they just have this mis-conception that it is 10 below (ect.) in July too!!! Thanks for all your insights and photos!

We are first timers to Alaska. We usually do the warm weather cruises. I hope it is everything for us as well. I also hope we get no rain and get to see lots of wildlife!!! Oh how we hope!! :p:);)

We just returned from Alaska (our 1st) and it was awesome even with drizzle of rain on two days and some foggy days!

It won't stop the humpbacks from breaching, the momma bear and her cub from running in the snow valley of the mountain, the sea lions from "barking" on their private island, the bald eagles from "posing" on icebergs or tree tops and certainly won't stop the glaciers from calving! We saw it all despite the drizzle. We were out on the decks viewing (our excursions) and capturing the beautiful scenery. It's a dream vacation ~ enjoy! :)

Hi, Last year was my 7th trip to alaska and i wanna go again, its just so beautiful up there, i've always gone in sept, but the next time that i would go would be in May, when theres more snow on the mountians. Whenever i tell people, i'm going to alaska, they say "Again? oh its just so cold up there, I'd rather be in the Caribbean."

virginia

We just returned from Alaska (our 1st) and it was awesome even with drizzle of rain on two days and some foggy days!

It won't stop the humpbacks from breaching, the momma bear and her cub from running in the snow valley of the mountain, the sea lions from "barking" on their private island, the bald eagles from "posing" on icebergs or tree tops and certainly won't stop the glaciers from calving! We saw it all despite the drizzle. We were out on the decks viewing (our excursions) and capturing the beautiful scenery. It's a dream vacation ~ enjoy! :)

So true !!

I'm the OP and think this awe-inspired feeling holds true for people who have been there multiple times, not only for those of us who have experienced it for the first time. It is magnificent!

I have a friend at work who has traveled to Alaska every year since he graduated from college. His first trip was by himself right after he graduated -- he camped and backpacked in Denali and fell in love with Alaska. He's never cruised there and highly recommends going inland for the "real" Alaska experience. I was talking to him today about my trip and he and I agreed that after you've seen Alaska, even the Colorado rockies pale in comparison. He'd love to move there, but alas, his wife won't go because the winters are too brutal.

As a solo traveler, I think I need to get at least one more cruise under my belt before I venture into an inland trip...maybe a cruise tour? What I'd really like to do next is a 14-day b2b northbound then southbound. Crossing fingers and toes I can talk my manager into letting me have 2 weeks off in a row next year. :D

Diane

I just returned (late!) last night from 2 nights in Seattle, 1 night in Anchorage and 7 nights on the Island Princess. It was the most amazing trip of my life. I went to sleep every night thinking that surely our good luck would falter, but every day was sunshine, fabulous scenery and wonderful excursions. We saw moose, bears, eagles, orcas, humpbacks, porpoise, otters and seals. We did the 26 Glacier Cruise in Whittier, White Pass Railroad and Bus Tour in Skagway, Taku Glacier Lodge Feast and Float Plane in Juneau and Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour in Ketchikan. Each was incredible and each was a totally different experience, we never felt like we were repeating anything. My only regrets are that I wish I had bought better binoculars and I wish I had eaten at Tracys Crab Shack in Juneau at least twice, but it was a short port day and I had already eaten Salmon at Tacu Lodge....I guess I could have had Tracy's for breakfast!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lynda - another Lynda here! I see you're going back again - didn't you just return from a wonderful Alaskan cruise??? Good for you! Its so amazing there, you just get the fever to go again and again, don't you? We're planning our third cruise back to the Great Land on May 31, 2010, and as soon as that one is done, we're going to plan a 14 day land tour on our own - maybe for 2012. The excitement just builds and builds! Enjoy your next trip back!

What you have said is so true and I agree "it's a dream vacation"! We've been three times with one cruise that included an indepentant land tour. We spent 6 days touring the interior and I know that we have got to return for more interior travel. I'm amazed at the beauty!!

In 2 weeks we will be going on our 3rd Alaskan Cruise and I can say that the excitement is just as much with this one as our 1st cruise 3 years ago. I still remember standing and staring in awe at the wonder of this state. People that I work with keep asking me why do I want to go back and I ask them "How many times have you been to Disney World"? and they then shut up......:P)

Hi Lynda,

Yes, I just got back from my first Alaskan cruise and have been planning next year's ever since.

I definately have the fever!! :D

We are looking at a late May SB cruise this time with a trip to Denali? Which cruise are you taking?

We cruised to Alaska two years ago and went back for 10 days(just returned on Sunday) on land. Our family(my wife and I, our kids, and my parents) rented an RV and traveled from Seward to Fairbanks, then over to Delta Junction through Glenallen, and back to Anchorage. What a wonderful trip. The scenery is breathtaking in so many places. We did the Ididaride Dog Sled Tour, Kenai Fjords boat trip, Seallife Center, Exit Glacier, Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Glacier, Mt. Alyeska tram, Heritage Center in Anchorage, Alaska Museum, Alaska Zoo, Botanical Gardens, flew out of Talkeetna(Talkeetna Air Taxi) and landed on a glacier, took the shuttle to Wonder Lake in Denali, sat on Santa's lap at the North Pole, El Dorado Gold Mine, Museum of the North, Riverboat Discovery, pipeline, etc. Alaska was going to be our trip of a lifetime two years ago and we now see ourselves returning often. Those of you that have gone already know and those of you going are in for a treat!! You have to experience it because words can not describe the beauty of Alaska.

Archived