All Things HALF MOON CAY !

trock

Booked for Feb 19 southern caribbean with stop at HMC. I tried to reserve cabana and was put on "wait list". Can anyone tell me how long they usually leave you there before they tell you if one is open or not? I mean, I don't really understand the way you purchase this. Either one is available or not, no? Would love to surprise my sis and anxious to know if this is going to happen or not.

I was able to book mine right away with Carnival for May 2012. I would think there is a chance that they are all sold out for your sailing and they are having a wait list made in case someone cancels. I know Carnival has a department to call for these things and would think Holland has one also. I may be just a quick call to find out. Good Luck

I was able to book mine right away with Carnival for May 2012. I would think there is a chance that they are all sold out for your sailing and they are having a wait list made in case someone cancels. I know Carnival has a department to call for these things and would think Holland has one also. I may be just a quick call to find out. Good Luck

After I posted above, I thought about it and believe that is probably the case so I will just have to hope for the best. Thank you

Apparently Barry the Barracuda frequents the beach at Half Moon Cay. He is real "friendly" and gets his kicks by surprising the tourists (like me).

Does anyone have a Barry story? :D

Here's mine! I had the video going when I was having a snorkel when I met Barry!

Cheers!

I saw "Barry" last April hanging around a bouy at the beach.

I had forgotten my underwater camera on the ship:mad:

He was just hanging out, the schools of fish are great, you can see them coming toward you :D

I won't forget my camera next April :D

Woo-Hoo!! Just booked my first cabana. I am so excited. Thanks to the posts in this thread, I was sold. Only 118 days to my spring break cruise!!! :D

Congratulations you are very smart in booking it now especially during Spring break. You will not regret it :)

Congratulations you are very smart in booking it now especially during Spring break. You will not regret it :)

Thank you. I am super excited and surprised at this time that they still have 11 available.

I have some questions. When we board, is it correct that I tell them then how many guests will be joining me or should I have provided that information when I reserved? How will they know how many "goodies" to provide for me?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you. I am super excited and surprised at this time that they still have 11 available.

I have some questions. When we board, is it correct that I tell them then how many guests will be joining me or should I have provided that information when I reserved? How will they know how many "goodies" to provide for me?

Thanks in advance.

As soon as we got on the ship at embarktation they instructed us to go to guest services to pick a cabana. There were 7 of us but I never told them there were that many. I believe they expect there to be 4 guests. When you go to guest services they ask you shoe sizes for your snorkel gear and types of sodas you would like. No one really cares its mostly for the food and snorkel gear. There was plenty of food for all of us anyway we knew we'd be eating lunch at the buffett on the island. They did give us tender tickets I think but in order to keep our group together we just got in line to get tender tickets for all 7 of us.

As soon as we got on the ship at embarktation they instructed us to go to guest services to pick a cabana. There were 7 of us but I never told them there were that many. I believe they expect there to be 4 guests. When you go to guest services they ask you shoe sizes for your snorkel gear and types of sodas you would like. No one really cares its mostly for the food and snorkel gear. There was plenty of food for all of us anyway we knew we'd be eating lunch at the buffett on the island. They did give us tender tickets I think but in order to keep our group together we just got in line to get tender tickets for all 7 of us.

Thank you for the info. :)

We have a cabana reserved for our upcoming cruise, we will have 4 adults and two children (3 and 5). I realize that the reservation charge is for up to four, and I have read that there is an additional person charge. I have NO problem paying the additional charge, but I have no idea where/when this additional charge gets added. From the excursion page, it says that children 3 and under require no reservation so I assume will only pay the charge for DS5. Do I bring this up at the shore excursion desk when we go there to pick our cabana? Or do they add the charge when we are on the island?

I know that the cabanas are small, but we do not plan to all be in the cabana at one time. I imagine that DS5 will be playing in the sand most of the time with an adult accompanying him. DD3 may take a nap in there... We are a close family, so I do not anticipate that being an issue.

My only other trip to HMC we were in the Private Oasis cabana, so this is a first for us. We just want to make sure that we pay what we "owe", and we want to all be able to get on the first tender together.

We have a cabana reserved for our upcoming cruise, we will have 4 adults and two children (3 and 5). I realize that the reservation charge is for up to four, and I have read that there is an additional person charge. I have NO problem paying the additional charge, but I have no idea where/when this additional charge gets added. From the excursion page, it says that children 3 and under require no reservation so I assume will only pay the charge for DS5. Do I bring this up at the shore excursion desk when we go there to pick our cabana? Or do they add the charge when we are on the island?

I know that the cabanas are small, but we do not plan to all be in the cabana at one time. I imagine that DS5 will be playing in the sand most of the time with an adult accompanying him. DD3 may take a nap in there... We are a close family, so I do not anticipate that being an issue.

My only other trip to HMC we were in the Private Oasis cabana, so this is a first for us. We just want to make sure that we pay what we "owe", and we want to all be able to get on the first tender together.

Under shore excursions, there is an item for additional people in a cabana, I believe. Cost is $45. I appreciate you being honest but I don't think I would worry since the child is so young. Everyone says that you get enough drinks, snacks etc. for more than four.

Under shore excursions, there is an item for additional people in a cabana, I believe. Cost is $45. I appreciate you being honest but I don't think I would worry since the child is so young. Everyone says that you get enough drinks, snacks etc. for more than four.

Thank you! I did check and this was not an option listed under the Carnival excursions, maybe that is only an option on Holland? My main concern is that we are all able to get on the first tender together, I am guessing that we will not have a problem if all 4 adults have tender tickets and the children are small. I will mention to the excursion desk when we embark to see if we can get an extra tender ticket for DS, and pay the additional charge if applicable.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided I would rent the clamshell while they are still available. Can someone tell me how that works? Are you assigned a specific clamshell or do you just grab one as you get there? If we go back to ship and then return to island, will we still have same shell or take whatever is available? Appreciate all replies, new to HA.

I decided I would rent the clamshell while they are still available. Can someone tell me how that works? Are you assigned a specific clamshell or do you just grab one as you get there? If we go back to ship and then return to island, will we still have same shell or take whatever is available? Appreciate all replies, new to HA.

Clamshells are scattered along the length of the beach in various areas. Let one of the attendants know which one you prefer and he/she will set it up for you. It's probably a safe assumption it will still be there when you return from the ship. Leave a towel on the lounger and others should get the picture.

Back from my fifth stop at HMC. Unfortunately, it rained a good deal last Tuesday. First time that's happened.

I did the stingray excursion for the 2nd time and the water was quite cold - colder than I remember it being when I've been there in mid-December.

I always rent a clamshell.

Normally, I go down to around Cabana 8 or 9, since the restrooms are close by, you're not too far from the picnic area, and you're far enough away from the noise and activity to be able to relax.

This time, though, the clamshells were only down to the purple cabana (#7?). So we could hear the music from the hideous ship bar, that is new since I was last there. Whose bright idea was that ugly thing?

It stopped raining by lunchtime, and the sun really tried to break through, but it couldn't quite manage it. I went for a walk down the beach nearly to the horseback riding section, and it was so quiet and peaceful down there.

Obviously nothing could be done about the weather (at least we didn't have to skip the port), but I was disappointed that we couldn't get farther away from the noise. I mean, seriously. Is it necessary to have a DJ and loud, blaring music EVERYWHERE???

So we could hear the music from the hideous ship bar, that is new since I was last there. Whose bright idea was that ugly thing?

I mean, seriously. Is it necessary to have a DJ and loud, blaring music EVERYWHERE???

Captain Morgan's was one of the biggest blunders Carnival Corp. has ever made at HMC. I keep hoping it gets destroyed during hurricane season and is never rebuilt.

This time, though, the clamshells were only down to the purple cabana (#7?). So we could hear the music from the hideous ship bar, that is new since I was last there. Whose bright idea was that ugly thing?

It stopped raining by lunchtime, and the sun really tried to break through, but it couldn't quite manage it. I went for a walk down the beach nearly to the horseback riding section, and it was so quiet and peaceful down there.

Obviously nothing could be done about the weather (at least we didn't have to skip the port), but I was disappointed that we couldn't get farther away from the noise. I mean, seriously. Is it necessary to have a DJ and loud, blaring music EVERYWHERE???

Thanks NCTribeFan for reporting your recent experience on Half Moon Cay.

We will be making our second attempt to visit HMC in Jan. (First time in Feb. 2009 seas were too rough to tender in.) We have again booked the yellow cabana (#12). Really hope we get there this time:).

What do you think our chances are of having a peaceful experience; i.e., will we be far enough away from the DJ and the blaring music?

My feeling are just that there is so much activity closer to the tender dock, and some of us wish to get away from all that noise and activity.

I was disappointed that I could no longer do that and still get a clamshell. To get "away from it all," I would've had to be out in the elements - either rain or, in the past, hot sun!

It just seems that there is no escape any more from the noise! I mean, you can't go to the grocery store without being subjected to blaring pop music. And I even LIKE pop music. But not every freaking minute of every day in every setting!!

If blaring music is required at HMC, have it down at the bar next to all the other noisy activities and leave part of the beach for those of us who just want to enjoy the beaufitul beach along with some peace and quiet!

All I'm saying is that they should be able to accomodate all of us!

My feeling are just that there is so much activity closer to the tender dock, and some of us wish to get away from all that noise and activity.

I was disappointed that I could no longer do that and still get a clamshell. To get "away from it all," I would've had to be out in the elements - either rain or, in the past, hot sun!

It just seems that there is no escape any more from the noise! I mean, you can't go to the grocery store without being subjected to blaring pop music. And I even LIKE pop music. But not every freaking minute of every day in every setting!!

If blaring music is required at HMC, have it down at the bar next to all the other noisy activities and leave part of the beach for those of us who just want to enjoy the beaufitul beach along with some peace and quiet!

All I'm saying is that they should be able to accomodate all of us!

I get exactly what you mean these days it seems like we are getting sensory overload everytime we turn around. Especially being on a big cruise ship. Yet of course the good out ways the bad that's why we cruise. :) If we only lived in a perfect world.

• 2 weeks later...

I am cruising solo in Jan with a stop at HMC (so renting a cabana makes no sense). Now that I know about the loud music I am bringing a beach umbrella and walking far down the beach to set it up. I'll pick up my own snacks and drink, I guess. Will bring my own snorkeling gear too.