Rum Runner question

luckydogone

I know that people use the Rum Runner flask to get liquor on board throught their checked luggage, what I'm wondering is has anyone used them to bring liquor back on board once you've gotten off at one of the ports? I have walked off in the past with Carnivals large water bottle in Cozumel and came back with it full of Tequlia.. the clear kind. The guys at the entrance way just thought it was one of their big water bottles and didn't stop me. I'm wondering if I can use the Rum Runner flask and fill it with a dark liquor and just keep it in my back pack. Will it make it through? Any thoughts or experiences will be greatly appreciated.

When I purchase liquor in port I just carry it back onboard as-is. And usually in the bag that it was purchased in. (I don't try to hide it.)

There are typically enough people & chaos going on that there has never been a need to stop at the liquor table, nor have I ever been directed there. So I just gather my stuff after xray and up to the cabin I go.

I don't get the whole RumRunner thing. But it's is worth a try I suppose. Last couple of cruises after putting my bag thru the machine the operator says "see the man at the table and check your booze" I say "ok'" and just keep on walking straight to my room. No one gave me a second look.

No one can tell you 100% for sure it will make it back. A smaller rum runner in your pocket where they just use scan for metal will make it for sure, but the stuff that goes thru the xray machine where they actually look at it, nothing is for sure. If they can see a bottle of liquid, they can see the rum runner but seem to be letting them thru.

I don't get the whole RumRunner thing. But it's is worth a try I suppose. Last couple of cruises after putting my bag thru the machine the operator says "see the man at the table and check your booze" I say "ok'" and just keep on walking straight to my room. No one gave me a second look.

I think that depends on if you are reboarding at a busy time. I got by with that once too, not the other time.

When I purchase liquor in port I just carry it back onboard as-is. And usually in the bag that it was purchased in. (I don't try to hide it.)

I also just carry on the bottle, If they do happen to notice, all they tell you to do is take it to the table to check it....It's up to you if you pass that table up and get on the elevator:p

I have a rum runner question too! On the paper that came with my rum runners, it says they recommend storing the flasks at the bottom of your bag for a cruise. I'm just wondering what that means. The bottom as in the side that the rolley thing is on or the bottom like the end where the wheels are??? Also, why the bottom??? Doesn't that give the x-rays an easier way to see it. I was thinking the middle made the most sense. Any suggestions or help would be wonderful!

I have a rum runner question too! On the paper that came with my rum runners, it says they recommend storing the flasks at the bottom of your bag for a cruise.

I think they were talking about uner your clothes, like when your suitcase is laying down when you are packing.

If you just bring your booze in a plastic bottle it won't be detected, they are mainly looking for irons & bombs.

Can we call it anything besides smuggling? It's not like I am bring heroin on the boat.... :D

We can call it breaking the rules......then we will be in the same catagory as the people who take food off the ship & bring irons, doesn't sound as bad then, and we will just be doing what most of the other passengres on the ship are doing anyway.

I have a rum runner question for those of you that have them. When you are done with it...I assume you rinse it out and let it drip dry upside down. I did this but there is still water in it that just won't come out. I tried different things to get at it but I don't want to bust it. Will the water residue make it stinky and moldy? This is the first time I have ever used one.:confused:

I have a rum runner question for those of you that have them. When you are done with it...I assume you rinse it out and let it drip dry upside down. I did this but there is still water in it that just won't come out. I tried different things to get at it but I don't want to bust it. Will the water residue make it stinky and moldy? This is the first time I have ever used one.:confused:

Yes, that is what I do. I leave them drip-drying for as long as it takes to dry out. (A couple days maybe). Or i could leave them outside for about 5 minutes (we are in Phoenix :D), but don't.

I just use hot water and rinse it out several times. I had raspberry vodka in one for Buffett concert in April. That took several rinses to get the smell out! After they dry, store them in the plastic bag they came in without the caps on. Love them.

Steve

I have a rum runner question too! On the paper that came with my rum runners, it says they recommend storing the flasks at the bottom of your bag for a cruise. I'm just wondering what that means. The bottom as in the side that the rolley thing is on or the bottom like the end where the wheels are??? Also, why the bottom??? Doesn't that give the x-rays an easier way to see it. I was thinking the middle made the most sense. Any suggestions or help would be wonderful!

I put one in each suitcase between my clothes in the middle. Then I put a rolled up belt and shaving kit or shoes above it. The x-ray machine will never see it!! Works like a champ!!

Steve

I know that people use the Rum Runner flask to get liquor on board throught their checked luggage, what I'm wondering is has anyone used them to bring liquor back on board once you've gotten off at one of the ports? I have walked off in the past with Carnivals large water bottle in Cozumel and came back with it full of Tequlia.. the clear kind. The guys at the entrance way just thought it was one of their big water bottles and didn't stop me. I'm wondering if I can use the Rum Runner flask and fill it with a dark liquor and just keep it in my back pack. Will it make it through? Any thoughts or experiences will be greatly appreciated.

I have done it with the 40oz RR on NCL 2 months ago. But my backpack has a wheel kit in the bottom so you put it at the wheels.I have also had the chance to see what it looks like being xrayed.

It is a dark area and the outline does not show well.That is why they say put it at the bottom because the plastic/metal of a suitcase will obscure it further and its shape is different than a bottle shape which does show up more.Between clothes also makes it look like clothing rolled up.

Cleaning...leave the cap off and upside down for several days to dry.

Steve

I used Rum Runners on my last cruise. Place the "flasks" in gallon sized Ziploc bags and then seal the bags after getting the air out. Roll the bags up and stick them in your shoes that are in your checked luggage. Learned this trick from a seasoned cruiser and it worked perfectly (they have cruised close to ten times and always take Gentleman Jack and Grey Goose with them). :D

What has always worked for me in the past is to buy multiple bottles in port (at least 2). If security catches you, they pass you on to a second station. Hand over a bottle (or two) and go on through. The confiscated bottles will be returned on your last night, and you get to carry your one (or more) bottles right on through to your stateroom.

What has always worked for me in the past is to buy multiple bottles in port (at least 2). If security catches you, they pass you on to a second station. Hand over a bottle (or two) and go on through. The confiscated bottles will be returned on your last night, and you get to carry your one (or more) bottles right on through to your stateroom.

If your talking about the Champagne question....You can carry it on, Carnival lets you.

If you talking about something else, please disregard this question.:)

Archived