not exactly deadliest catch

bottom-dragger

commercial dungeness season starts on 15 june so i'm running my traps hard so that i'll be out of the water by then. all keepers. and yes, the sunshine/warmth is back. so if you're in the southeast after the 15th, expect fresh dungies.

oh yeah, i'll be steaming fresh crab and shrimp again tonight.

la dolce vita

28a5cox.jpg

That is downright mean to post such yummy pictures. Ha! I have been so hungry for Alaskan crab I almost bought some at the grocery store. I know it won't taste as good as when I go to Alaska in a few weeks. Ya, ya... I know the King crab is frozen there too but it is the experience of eating it in Alaska. Those dungies look tasty too. Fresh can't be beat.

Thanks for the crab pictures.

Question, had one of these once, and could hardly find anything to eat...is the meat mostly in the claws???Legs are skinny, and didn't find much in the shell. How do you eat them (please tell me not like Maryland deepfried in the shells, eat soft shells & all...yup and we got a million Smelt here in Sheboygan you eat whole deepfried (NOT ME!!)...no heads tho

Bottom-Dragger - hope you see this.....I've enjoyed your comments on real bars to get real beer...and now I'm envious of what you pulled from your traps.

When I'm cruising in the first 2 weeks in August, I'm curious about trying spot shrimp. I'm used to Florida dragged shrimp, right off the boat (yeah, I know how to head 'em).

Any suggestions where I can get a real brew and some real shrimp to peel? I'm doing the usual tourist route, so the closest I'll be to your area is Sitka.

major snippage

Question, had one of these once, and could hardly find anything to eat...is the meat mostly in the claws???Legs are skinny, and didn't find much in the shell. How do you eat them? here in Sheboygan ..................

hmmmmm (sound of b-d being most confused) really? a comfortable meal is half a dungie, a potato and a salad. but then i don't have to do mr creosote (monty python reference) at an all you can eat buffet. sounds like you had a tanner/opelio rather than a dungeness.

cooking? first day they all get steamed (boiled??!! what??!! are you making soup??!!) and crack and pick all the leftovers. then it's crab cakes, crab quiche, crab enchiladas, and crab salads. repeat as necessary.

.....I've enjoyed your comments on real bars to get real beer...

you must be joking

When I'm cruising in the first 2 weeks in August, I'm curious about trying spot shrimp. I'm used to Florida dragged shrimp,

Any suggestions where I can get a real brew and some real shrimp to peel? I'm doing the usual tourist route, so the closest I'll be to your area is Sitka.

spots live in rock piles and are typically pot fished. in sea, the pot fishery ends first of august. so i'm not sure what will be available commercially. annabelles or the cape fox in ktn would be your best opportunity. i haven't been to sitka in a couple of years so really don't know what's current.

the trawl fishery, or draggers (hey!! bottom-dragger....) continue for most of the summer and fall. these will be catching coons and sidestripe shrimp. still good but not as large.

here's a link of what commercial fisheries are open when to note when fish will be most fresh:

http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/geninfo/pubs/seasons/season_1.pdf

b-d's incredibly opinionated view of beers, real bars, and ramblings:

1-go to the pioneer bar in sitka. real fisherman, lots of boat photos, and last time i was there they still had pinball.

2-only go to the red dawg in jnu if you miss disney land or hanging out with everyone that read the same tourist guide as you

3-alaskan amber is not the nector of the gods. i really enjoy the reviews that say "i don't like beer but i like alaskan amber". the pale is not too bad but there are better beers.

4-go to the bar at the alaskan hotel in jnu for a museum experience, the triangle to have a hotdog and meet the alaska state legislature, or the hanger on the wharf for a view and a wide selection of beers.

5-in cordova, i'd have to take you there as i don't remember the name, there's a nice old bar that's run by oysterman. a dozen oysters (i think they are his no. 2's) on a sheet of cardboard for less than $10. and if it's not too busy and you look really inept, he'll sit on a stool next to you, bs, and shuck them for you.

6-ktn, annabelles has the class, cape fox has the view, but the potlatch has the real people.

rambling mode off, enjoy your trip. real people live here.

Archived