What if it rains every day?

ZAMOST

Leaving Saturday on the Zuiderdam (HAL) Vancouver to Vancouver, and have outdoor excursions all booked privately for the three shore days...hike to glacier in Juneau, Yukon Tour and horseback riding in Skagway, Kayaking in Ketchikan.

Weather forecast seems to be rain nearly every day thus far.

Other than the usual considerations, any things we might not have thought of?

Leaving Saturday on the Zuiderdam (HAL) Vancouver to Vancouver, and have outdoor excursions all booked privately for the three shore days...hike to glacier in Juneau, Yukon Tour and horseback riding in Skagway, Kayaking in Ketchikan.

Weather forecast seems to be rain nearly every day thus far.

Other than the usual considerations, any things we might not have thought of?

it looks like you have some great tours scheduled. it forecast rain for the days i was in the same ports and we didnt get a drop. but you cant predict what will happen. all you can do is hope it doesnt rain. but if it does have a small umbrella with you or a lightweight nylon windbreaker with a hood handy to you too protect you from it. you will still enjoy your tours if you just take in the weather as part of the experience of it all. waterproof shoes will help also. i use the waterproofing spray on my tennis shoes. if it still looks like rain a few days before you leave you can take a old pair of tennis shoes with so you can throw them away after all the tours. no sense in lugging home muddy, wet shoes. have fun no matter what happens.

We carry disposable rain ponchos with us. They come in a package a little smaller than a man's wallet and they have come in handy on our Alaska trips. They are similar to a garbage bag with a hood and arm holes.

We live on the coast of Washington, and if we stayed inside just because of rain, we'd rarely get out. We dress for the conditions and enjoy what nature brings. We have waterproof shoes (kind of a cross between a running shoe and hiking boot), waterproof & lightweight windbreaker & pants. Put a fleece zipup under that, and we're set to go. I like my fleece headband too. We also leave on Friday (Zaandam) and the weather looks like rain. As long as you're prepared, you can't help but have a great time!

Leave the tags on any rainwear you purchase. That way, if you end up not needing them, you can return them when you get back.

I remember reading others who said they had rain predicted for every day of their Alaska vacation and yet had beautiful weather.

Look at the percent chance of rain, rather than the forecast. If it says 10-30% chance of rain, that is much different from an 80-90% chance of rain. You are travelling through a rain forest, so expect rain, but be thrilled if you have none.

Enjoy Alaska, rain or shine!!

Archived