British Airways Through RCCL Seat Assignment Questions!

My family and I are flying on British Airways as a world traveler (cheapest seats) to Heathrow from LAX in the beginning of August for a 12 night Baltic cruise that starts a few days later. I have some questions about booking the air through RCCL and how to choose seats.

1) Can RCCL assign seats before hand? RCCL says they gave us seats, and told us which ones. But according to both BA's website and a call to BA, RCCL cannot assign seats. Does anyone know the deal?

2) I am quite tall (6'8") and reallllllllly want (almost need) an exit row. Its my understanding that world traveler normal people are not allowed to pick their seats until the online check-in 24 hours before hand. Does anyone know if at that time we can choose an exit row, or is it off limits until we get to the airport?

3) Anything else anyone whose flow BA through RCCL or even by themselves thinks it would be good to share?

Thanks a lot!

My family and I are flying on British Airways as a world traveler (cheapest seats) to Heathrow from LAX in the beginning of August for a 12 night Baltic cruise that starts a few days later. I have some questions about booking the air through RCCL and how to choose seats.

1) Can RCCL assign seats before hand? RCCL says they gave us seats, and told us which ones. But according to both BA's website and a call to BA, RCCL cannot assign seats. Does anyone know the deal?

2) I am quite tall (6'8") and reallllllllly want (almost need) an exit row. Its my understanding that world traveler normal people are not allowed to pick their seats until the online check-in 24 hours before hand. Does anyone know if at that time we can choose an exit row, or is it off limits until we get to the airport?

3) Anything else anyone whose flow BA through RCCL or even by themselves thinks it would be good to share?

Thanks a lot!

I don't know about RCI allocating seats as I've never used them for air.

As far as exit seats go, you normally cannot choose these online, to be in an exit seat, you must be able to open the exit door in an emergency and you being able to do this is determined by the agent at the check in desk

Based on my experience ONLY,

RCCL does assign seats and they did it on my last cruise. You also should receive a "booking" number from RCCL. With this number, you can go onto the web page for BA and see your seats. You should also be able to change them. Again, that is how has always worked for me in the past.

Not sure about world traveler but generally, exit rows are not available until you check in. The rational explained to me is that the airline wants to make sure the person in that row can actually perform the duties (opening doors, etc.) before they assign the seats.

Not sure what to share. We had a great flight a few years ago. Somehow got upgraded to Business Class. If it happens to you, you won't know what to do with all the room. I remember having to reach something out of a small bag under the seat in front of me and I couldn't reach it until I got on the floor. Too far away. :)

Thanks a lot!
Have a great trip.

We flew LAX to LHR with BA last year. Assuming they are using the same aircraft, it will be a 747. In World Traveller there is effectively no exit row, as the exits are either behind you or the other side of a galley. However, there is extra legroom if you get the seat immediately after the seperation bulkhead. Can't comment on RCI's seat assignments, but I have always had to check in online for BA 24 hrs ahead. If you have to check in online, make sure you do it spot on 24hrs ahead, as loads of other people will be going for those seats! As an alternative, I can recommend seats 52 B & J. I'm 6' 4" and you can stretch your legs down the side of seats in 51, but don't go for 53 as everyone hangs on the back of your seat whilst waiting for the loo. These are also the only '2 together' seats if you are a couple. Seat plans at http://www.seatguru.com/

Simon

We flew LAX to LHR with BA last year. Assuming they are using the same aircraft, it will be a 747. In World Traveller there is effectively no exit row, as the exits are either behind you or the other side of a galley. However, there is extra legroom if you get the seat immediately after the seperation bulkhead. Can't comment on RCI's seat assignments, but I have always had to check in online for BA 24 hrs ahead. If you have to check in online, make sure you do it spot on 24hrs ahead, as loads of other people will be going for those seats! As an alternative, I can recommend seats 52 B & J. I'm 6' 4" and you can stretch your legs down the side of seats in 51, but don't go for 53 as everyone hangs on the back of your seat whilst waiting for the loo. These are also the only '2 together' seats if you are a couple. Seat plans at http://www.seatguru.com/

Simon

Another vote for row 52, side seats. I always grab these as soon as I can do the online check-in, 24 hours prior to departure. I fly frequently from Vancouver to Heathrow. Also, ask if there is a chance of an upgrade when you check in. I have been lucky quite often!

Simon

Thanks! For some reason BA actually let me pick my seats with them right now! So the plane has all but roughly 10 seats available. Do you know if 52 B & J have armrests that go up or can u just stretch your legs down the side of the seats in 51?

I was able to grab what looks like an exit row based on http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/British_Airways/British_Airways_Boeing_747-400_C.php , 29A and 28 B & C. Based on that it looks like there is an exit row right in front?

Thanks! For some reason BA actually let me pick my seats with them right now! So the plane has all but roughly 10 seats available. Do you know if 52 B & J have armrests that go up or can u just stretch your legs down the side of the seats in 51?

I honestly can't remember. I don't think they do, because as it says on seatguru, there is a gap between the seat and the window and presumably they won't want you falling into it, but you can put your legs down the side assuming someone doesn't put a ruddy great bag there!

Simon

Archived