Triumph to Canada, June 11th!

Rachy817

Here is my quick review!

Getting to the port was easy. We arrived around 12:30. We drove in from upstate NY and it only took us about 3 hours. Parking at the garage was also easy. We had about a 15-20 min wait to get through check in and security. The wait to get on the actual ship was the longest part.

Of course the first thing we do is hit the Lido deck for some food and that is how we knew we were officially on vacation! We prepared ourselves for chilly and dreary weather, and that is what we ended up with for the first two days. But a rainy day on a cruise beats any day at work! The ship had to be close to sold out. There was A LOT of people, and for the most part everyone was really friendly.

DH and I had an inside cabin on the Main deck. And this is where I noticed some things that were lacking. Now I haven’t cruised in an inside cabin in 5 cruises and was really surprised at the difference a cabin makes. We had no mini fridge, I guess I have been spoiled up until now hehe. Our shower was awful, it went from scalding hot to luke warm continuously during every shower! At first I thought it was just because we were showering before dinner, and it must have been because everyone was showering, but no… it was like that at various times of day. My mother was in a cabin down the hall and she also had this issue. No biggie, just used to taking nice hot showers during the day! Our next episode was during day two when the air conditioning went out in the middle of the day. DH and I came back to take a nap and woke up to a very, very warm room! Again just thinking it was just our cabin I went outside in the hall, and apparently the air had turned off in all of the cabins around us! We called maintenance and they had the problem fixed in about 2 hours. Again, not a huge deal, but just an annoyance especially when it happened again on day 4. By day 3 there was an awful odor in our section of the floor. To the point that you smelled it as soon as you turned down the hall. This smell stuck around for the rest of the cruise! It was really funny to meet people walking down the hall and have them say how terrible it smelled and how upset they would be if they had to stay there!

We had beautiful weather in Saint John. We took the “Trolly around Saint John” tour first. This was $40 and booked through Carnival. I thought it was way overpriced for what it was. Our tourguide/trolly driver was very pleasant, but the tour really wasn’t anything special. It was just over an hour, and we spent 15 mins of it at the reversing falls. Don’t get me wrong, it is pretty cool to check it out, but it was not what I was expecting at all! There is a paper mill that sits right on the river bank which really takes away from the fall’s natural beauty. (We have two in our small city here in upstate NY and this place reminded us of being home!) The people that did the speed boat excursion looked like they were having a lot of fun though!

After our tour we walked the pedway to Billys seafood restaurant in the city market for some lobster which was really good! Other then that we really didn’t find anything else we wanted to do. The town itself is okay, but I don’t think we will return.

The positives outweigh the negatives by far on this cruise. Our cabin was always clean. The food was awesome, everything we had was great! All the crew was very friendly and attentive. I recommend the California Wine Bar for drinks, especially the martinis! The bartender was fantastic; she made some really beautiful tiramisu martinis! The piano bar was a lot of fun. We also enjoyed the Comedian on the third night. The gym was very clean, but quite busy all morning until about noon. We did go to tea time the first sea day and I was disappointed that they only offered sweets, there was no cucumber sandwiches or smoked salmon! Must be part of the cutbacks. The sushi bar was very tasty, we went two nights before dinner. We never met our cruise director, or even saw him for that matter. Except for on the TV. The chocolate buffet was missing the chocolate fountain, but the other things were the same.

Getting off the ship was a long process. A lot of people were dressed for work and were running towards the gangway as soon as the process started. We took our time and tried to avoid the rush, but at 8:45 the lines were still super long! But we made it… sadly!

Overall we had a lot of fun on this cruise. It was definitely something different and was worth trying. Personally I wouldn’t do this itinerary again, and if I sail the Triumph again I will definitely get an OV or Balcony.

If anyone has any questions just ask! I will try to answer what I can!

Ok, lots of questions. First though, thanks for taking the time to do this.

1. Where was your room? Just wondering cause I hope it isn't where mine is.

2. How were the buffet lines? And how was the food on the buffet?

3. How were the shows?

4. Were the drink machines working and did they have cups next to them? (Just kidding)

5. What was the best part of your cruise and what was the worst?

Thank you for posting. glad you had a good time. we booked an ocean view cabin. We went to Halifax on our first cruise a few years ago and had a balcony. Since we don't stay in the room too much we didn't this time. This will be our second cruise and we are really looking forward to it.

Rachel Marie

Thanks for writing the review and I am glad you enjoyed your cruise.

What time would suggest for leaving the ship? Should we wait until 8:30 or later? We do not have anywhere to go except home. The sad part of vacation, returning home.

Janice

3. How were the shows?

4. Were the drink machines working and did they have cups next to them? (Just kidding)

Our room was on the Main Deck (2) Mid-ship.

The buffet lines were nuts, and people out of NY are much more unaware that there are other people in existance on the Lido deck. This was my 3rd cruise out of NY and it is the same way every time!

We didnt go to the shows, except the comedy one which was really funny!

Oddly enough some of the drink machines were out of water, but they did have coolers that had lemonaid and iced tea in them.

The best part was eating fresh lobster in Saint John. The worst was waiting in lines. Lots and Lots of lines....!

Rachel Marie

What time would suggest for leaving the ship? Should we wait until 8:30 or later? We do not have anywhere to go except home. The sad part of vacation, returning home.

Janice

Wait as long as you can! Pack your bags, leave them in the room and then go up to the lido. When you start to notice people have really cleared out it should be safe to get your bags and leave. Plus the longer you wait the less rush hour traffic to get through leaving the city!

We started to get off the ship at 8:45 and I would recomend waiting longer because we still had to wait in a long line to get off!

Rachel Marie

Janice

If you have time you can go to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. From what I can tell the ferry that will take you there is about a 2 mile taxi ride from the pier.

The buffet lines were nuts, and people out of NY are much more unaware that there are other people in existance on the Lido deck. This was my 3rd cruise out of NY and it is the same way every time!

Oddly enough some of the drink machines were out of water, but they did have coolers that had lemonaid and iced tea in them.

The best part was eating fresh lobster in Saint John. The worst was waiting in lines. Lots and Lots of lines....!

Hope the smell is gone when I get there. I am main forward.

Thank you, I forgot about the rush hour traffic. We will take our time in the morning.

You mentioned lots and lots of lines, where were the lines? I am guessing the buffet, but just want to clarify. Everyone seems to talk about the buffet lines. I guess I will be eating in the dining room most of the time.

How much was the fresh lobster in Saint John?

Glad to hear the comedian was funny.

Krissy72

Great idea to kill some time.

Janice

What does people out of NY mean, do you mean New Yorkers or people leaving out of NY.

I have found rude people on all 10 of my cruises.

The process started at 7am for people who were taking their own bags off, I didn't see anyone running. We were told to line up in Rome lounge. We were called by tag number to get off, it's the same on every cruise line.

I was one of those people that was waiting in the lobby at 7;30 to get off the ship, I was at work by 8:45. We were told to go to the lobby with our luggage at 7:15. If you don't want off that early than don't go to the lobby deck their are alot of people .

I also never saw the CD, at the shows it was a recording of his voice.

I wouldn't go back to St John.

Have the baby back ribs at dinner they were great.

We were on deck 8, no problems.

What does people out of NY mean, do you mean New Yorkers or people leaving out of NY.

I have found rude people on all 10 of my cruises.

I mean.... what I said.... the people who cruise out of NY. It just so happens most of the people are from NY.... as am I.

yes where did you have your fresh lobster and how much was it?

Billy's! If you take the pedway.... which is in the city center, all the way to the city market. It is at the end on the right side! We sat outside and it was lovely!

100_0334.jpg.08e07d04b4150088eddde81837a29a52.jpg

yes where did you have your fresh lobster and how much was it?

We ate at the little place next to the sea caves. They had fresh lobster and lobster/seafood salad. It was DELICIOUS!!! think the sandwich and fries and a drink were about 10 bux a piece. there were 2 of us and it wasn't quite $21

I'm funny with a camera and even took a pick of the owner who was working. In the bg there's part of the menu saying fresh lobster and the price is blocked by the owner's head. However the price of the meal (lobster, potatoe or fries, biscuits and coleslaw) is 27.99 It says I believe 1lb 2-3 oz lobster. it's hard to make out due to the lighting of the sign. Sorry i can't be any more help.

3. How were the shows?

We just returned today on the Triumph.

Our room was main mid-ship and the smell was definitely still very strong as you walked down the hallways in certain section.

The buffet lines were horrible morning, noon and most of the day. The food was nothing great. On sea days it is hard to find a table. Definitely eat breakfast and dinner in the dining room.

The shows were all pretty good. For the first time they did a midnight burlesque show. Which was really in good taste and the lighting was fantastic.

Some of the drink machines are still out of order. And (not kidding) at times you have to wait for glasses and also silverware.

The best part for us were the 3 couples assigned as our tablemates. We were all strangers but ended up friends. Worst were the lines.

Would not choose to sail on the Triumph again. It need updating.

Rachel Marie

Janice

We arrived back in NYC today and found the dembarkation great. We were out of our cabins and on the streets of NYC in 10 minutes. We carried our own luggage off--there were about 20 custom agents who didn't even look at the paperwork. And were on our way. We left the ship about 8:45. Best port we have ever returned too.

Embarkation was also very easy, arrived there about 11am were processed and given our keys. In the holding area for about 45minutes and on Lido deck at noon. Rooms were ready about 1:30.

Archived