Why do Ships Sail during Muster???

Some people really do sweat the small stuff. To think that something as petty as this would ruin a cruise for someone. That said, I think out of 5 cruises only 1 sailaway was held during the drill.

Whats small stuff to some people is important to others. Everyone has their own interests and everyone looks forward to different things. I know one man in particular who served in the merchant marine and enjoys seeing all the container ship operations as they leave port. I enjoy viewing the homes and beaches as we leave a port. Its the official kick off of a cruise for me.

Some people really do sweat the small stuff. To think that something as petty as this would ruin a cruise for someone. That said, I think out of 5 cruises only 1 sailaway was held during the drill.

Maybe it is small stuff to you as you have several cruises under your belt. For those of us who have only one cruise and that one had sailaway during muster, it is a big deal. The idea of sailaway is..... waving to everyone goodbye (whether they are there or not), having a DOD in hand, watching your stressful life disappear, if only for the next 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or more days). Sailaway is not do or die, but, for some, it signifies a dream. Haven't you ever watched the movies where they show sailaway. An Affair to Remember. Sailaway, for me, is romantic and exciting. Missing my only one... so far.... was crushing. But, we still had the best vacation of our lives, until of course our next cruise in November.

Don't diminish sailaway as trivial. It isn't trivial to most!

I personally am not sweating the "small stuff" Mine was a simple question for insight into the reason (which was helpfully addressed). It further helps to temper the dissapointment (for those who may be) to have a better understanding.

Happy cruising and thank you for your perspective.:)

Why? are you missing photo's of the shipping port and storage containers piled up on the way out? :p

None of the bars are open so you are not missing any fun.

By the time it is done the ugly areas are gone and the scenic views are just coming into view.

No big deal. :p:cool:

Absolutely not a big deal, as I stated, just curious. I know plenty of people that sleep through both Muster and sailaway. I personally enjoy as a part of my experience watching sailaway from every port. It makes my cruise at that point "real" for me. (Kind of like a thrill ride, no turning back now).:p:cool::)

I think the drill takes longer on the smaller ships, because they muster you in a central area, then march you up to your boat station. On Splendor, we went straight to our boat stations. We still sailed during the drill, but at least we were outside. I did a B2B on elation when she was in Port Canaveral, and the first week we sailed during muster, were already out in the channel before we went to our boats. the second week, drill was over before we sailed. I think is is the responsivemess of people getting there so they can get it over with. In Jacksonville, part of the thrill, especially for the first timer fromthat port, is sailing under the Dames Point Bridge. When we sailed during muster, we were nearly under it before I could get back to my cabin to drop off the vest and grab the camera. Now, I just take the camera to drill.

As far as doing them the next day, I think they only do that for very late sailings, such as 10pm from San Juan. EM

Just curious. It is disappointing to see the ship already gone usually while we are at the drill. Anyone know why this is?

Just like planes and buses they have a schedule. They have to use a pilot and when it is time to go it is time to go whether muster is over or not.

As far as the argument of sailing when the port tells you that is absolutely BS. MANY times I have cruised when an anouncement came over the PA that we will be late in departing waiting for a group who arrived late by plane (carnival air program) so there is somewhat of a window to delay from leaving the embarkation port. As far as port of call arrival times believe me there is adequate time built in to leave late and still get to the arrival port on time. Certainly 30 minutes or so makes no difference in leaving but makes a huge difference to many (especially new cruisers) to experience sail away. Personally I don't care when they leave but it is apparent to me they do the drill when THEY want to and on my last cruise (Glory a month ago) the CD spent several minutes with a sales pitch which has nothing to do with the mandatory lifeboat drill as we shoved off from the dock. Needless to say many folks packed like sardines for over 30 minutes where not to happy with the extraneous BS announcements during the drill.

Six cruises - and as best as I can remember:

Once we sailed while we were at early dining - supposedly customs/coast guard held us up. That one was in Long Beach.

Twice we sailed while at muster - Miami & Galveston (?)

Once we "pushed off" right after muster - I was in the cabin putting away life jackets. - New Orleans

Twice up on deck for the entire sailaway experience - both Long Beach.

The experience varies - but like many others I would much rather be up on deck with a drink in hand as we push off, watching the stress and cares of my everyday life disappear behind us as we float gently into the sunset. (lol)

Our last cruise on The Miracle out of Fort Lauderdale, we sailed at least two hours after the muster, which was two hours after our scheduled departure time.

By then, a lot of people who were looking forward to the sail-away party had already done their partying and were getting ready for dinner or too looped to care.

I'd rather the ship leaver during the drill, we run up and deposit our life vests, then join the party. It's not like a ship rockets off immediately and you miss everything.

My experience is that it is done before we sail or not done at all. It might be skipped when the cruise ends within 24 hours. As I understand it, the drill has to be held within 24 hours of boarding. The drill was skipped when new guest boarded at Vancouver and the cruise ended at Seatle. A second drill, for all passangers, was held before sailing when guest boarded in Los Angles as those guest would not be off the ship within 24 hours.

Maybe it is small stuff to you as you have several cruises under your belt. For those of us who have only one cruise and that one had sailaway during muster, it is a big deal. The idea of sailaway is..... waving to everyone goodbye (whether they are there or not), having a DOD in hand, watching your stressful life disappear, if only for the next 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or more days). Sailaway is not do or die, but, for some, it signifies a dream. Haven't you ever watched the movies where they show sailaway. An Affair to Remember. Sailaway, for me, is romantic and exciting. Missing my only one... so far.... was crushing. But, we still had the best vacation of our lives, until of course our next cruise in November.

Don't diminish sailaway as trivial. It isn't trivial to most!

Not a matter of several cruises under my belt. I actually have over 20 years at sea. I can see where it is special to some, just not a deal breaker the way that others act like it is. To me it is not the coming and going, it is being at sea. It is where I am comfortable and feel alive once again. I currently spend most of my days wearing a suit, stuck in a office, dealling with the scum of the earth. It sucks, but it is what it is. I certainly hope on your next cruise that you do have that romatic and exciting experience that you dream about.

My one and only cruise (so far) we were sitting in the showroom in our life vests when I suddenly felt the ship start to move! We sailed at 4 p.m.

Glad to hear that late sailings sometimes postpone till the next morning, we're sailing at 10 p.m. this time.

I think my cruises have been about 40% during muster.

On my last cruise, we had to go to our muster stations, waited there for 20 mins then everyone went out to the boats.

I think that was the only time we had to do that.

Usually we either line up at the boats, or meet in the lounge.

And on the late sailings from San Juan, they do the muster that night. I have been on 2 of them, and always had muster drill prior to sailing.

Well,nobody said it ruined their cruise. It's just a little annoying.

Archived