How early for shuttle to Eielson VC to get back in same day

Pearl64

I am a newbie so pardon the dumb question. I need to know how early I need to schedule the shuttle to the Eielson VC so that we get back in the same day. I keep reading that this is an 8 hr. trip. Again is this one way or both? Also, are the prices quoted on the Denali website for round trip or one way? I can't see where the site states this. We will be staying at the Princess Denali and have the entire day to do this. Does the shuttle allow for restroom stops? I don't think anyone can last for 8 hrs. I know the tour buses stop every 90 minutes. Thanks for any feedback.

Pearl

It is an 8 hour round trip and the cost is also the round trip cost. The bus makes stops every 90 minutes or so. Look here to see the costs and descriptions as well as how long for each of the shuttles: http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles/index.cfm#shuttle Also the actual schedules are here http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/upload/P3%202009.pdf

All the Eielson shuttle buses are day trips, price round trip. BUT do not expect a "fixed" timeframe on the return, it can vary significantly. You also have the option to get off a bus, anywhere, and return on a later bus with available seats.

Thanks Pizza lady and BQ! Now all I have to do is to convince husband that this is what we should do. I really appreciate all of your comments, especially BQ. You certainly have a lot of knowledge about Alaska. Pizza Lady, I think we are on the same cruise. Perhaps we will meet on the ship.

Pearl

Pearl,

We just did the Eileson Shuttle, we took the 6am one, leaving from the Wilderness Access Center. It was one of the best parts of our trip, we saw lots of wildlife along the way. We saw 9 bears, caribou, dahl sheep, eagles (both golden and bald), artic squirrel, moose, it was a great trip and the time is dependent of the wildlife you see. One time we were stopped for at least 15 minutes watching a Mama bear & cub that crossed the road in front of our bus. We did not change buses as we had to catch a shuttle to the McKinley Princess that day. We returned to the Wilderness Center about 2:30 in the afternoon. (I did hear from many of the other princess guest that they had not seen anything on their trips and were disappointed).

Happy travels,

We also took the first bus of the day ... IMHO the best way to see the wildlife. Also, it got us back around 3:00 (7:00 departure) which was in time to also go to the FREE Denali sled dog demonstration. You can easily make a day of it in the park and see lots and lots! Be sure to come prepared with plenty to eat/drink. While you will get bathroom breaks every 90 minutes or so, there is no food or drink available once you get on the bus.

Thanks, sbflcruiser and cindep. Were either of you staying at the Denali Princess? I have another logistical question. How do we go from the Denali Princess to Wilderness Access Center to pick up the bus? I understand there are shuttles to the shuttle but how early do they start? Also, how much time should you allow to do that before you board the Eielson shuttle?

I did know about the food and drink. I am assuming that places have boxed lunches to purchase.

I am glad you had a good experience and saw lots of wildlife. We are supposed to go on the NHT, but we are opting for the longer trip into the park. I realize that that is money lost but I think the benefit of the longer trip in is better.

Pearl

See if you can upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour I've heard you can upgrade on most cruisetours. It goes to Eislesen the same route as the Eislesen shuttle, Natural History Tour turns around at Savage River and is hardly worth it.

Subway is open 24 hours and you can call your order in, it's a short walk from the Hotels near Glitter Gulch. There are shuttles to the park from hotels but we had a car so I'm not sure of timing on that.

Thanks, sbflcruiser and cindep. Were either of you staying at the Denali Princess? I have another logistical question. How do we go from the Denali Princess to Wilderness Access Center to pick up the bus? I understand there are shuttles to the shuttle but how early do they start? Also, how much time should you allow to do that before you board the Eielson shuttle?

I did know about the food and drink. I am assuming that places have boxed lunches to purchase.

I am glad you had a good experience and saw lots of wildlife. We are supposed to go on the NHT, but we are opting for the longer trip into the park. I realize that that is money lost but I think the benefit of the longer trip in is better.

Pearl

Archived