Air Inclusive Deals

catdavc

We are planning an Avalon Rhine cruise for 2010 (first time), and are wondering, is it better to go with their airline arrangement or set up our own?

Best you research to determine the difference in cost. Unless there's a huge savings, we prefer to book thru the tour company. That way they have some responsibility to handle delays and such, plus (with travel insurance) they can see to refunds and emergencies with less hassle.

BTW... We have found that for the more distant travel, they often have very competitive, hard to beat (or sometimes included) air fares!

Good luck, enjoy...

Diane & Jerry

I always check both ways and usually end up booking the airfare myself.On our last rivercruise I saved $700.00 for 2 tickets over the cruise lines price.We traveled with our friends and were on exactly the same flights but they booked thru Avalon and we made our own arrangements.We went a couple of days early to Budapest so would not have used Avalons transfers anyway. On other land tours that we have taken the price was also cheaper and our connection times were much better making our own arrangements. I hate running thru airports and these travel companies seem to really love those tight connections. So anyway check both way and take into consideration everything. If you book it yourself you can spend more time waiting for a good fare.I have found it is best to book about 3 to 4 months in advance. I watch several different sites for fares including Orbitz,Travelocity,Cheaptickets.kayak and the airline web sites.For me it is half the fun to plan the trip and I love trying to get the best deal. Another hint is to check the fares after midnight on Tuesday.Fares can change several times a day.I booked a fare open jaw Rome/Venice during tourist season for $700.00 and 3 hours later the same flight was up to $1200.00. What fun! Like winning the lottery!:D

We always check the fares out and book it ourselves. Usually, the tours have you making many stops before your destination. We are in Florida and find one change is usually all it takes us. Also, try http://www.farecompare.com/. They will follow your flights and email you when the fare drops. Which cruise are you booking? We are looking into a possible River cruise too.

Best you research to determine the difference in cost. Unless there's a huge savings, we prefer to book thru the tour company. That way they have some responsibility to handle delays and such, plus (with travel insurance) they can see to refunds and emergencies with less hassle.

READ the fine print. The cruise line is in NO WAY responsible for delays, reimbursements, etc., due to missed flights or mis-connections. There are VERY few cruise lines that accept ANY liability for actions of third party vendors. The only thing they are REQUIRED to do is refund your air ticket money.

You will generally be booked on NON ENDORSABLE consolidator class tickets. Means your ticket is NO GOOD on any airline OTHER than the originating airline. Can't use your cruise line booked United ticket on an AA, Continental, Delta, etc. etc. flight to get you to your destination, even IF the alternate airline's flight is the only one that will get you to your cruise ontime. Please read through the sticky on the top of the cruise air forum-Cruise Air and Air Deviation. KNOW what you are buying before you spend the money. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

This from the Avalon website.

"Air Arrangements:

Avalon Waterways is not responsible if an airline cancels, reschedules, or delays a flight for any reason. If you miss your departure flight, it is your responsibility to work with the airline on which you are ticketed to reach your destination. Avalon Waterways is not responsible for any additional expenses you may incur prior to joining your trip. Avalon Waterways is not responsible for and will not provide any refund for portions of trips missed due to canceled, rescheduled, or delayed flights.

For air purchased through Avalon Waterways, if any air schedule requires an overnight stay in a gateway city, Avalon Waterways can assist you with hotel reservations; however, the cost of the overnight stay (including hotel and meals) are at your expense. Air routings are subject to availability. Routings are not guaranteed and are subject to change at any time."

Your air-included cruise will either start the cruise the day you arrive or have some excursions in the arrival city and depart the next day. By booking your own flight you can arrive a day or more early - if luck is with you then enjoy the extra time in that city, if you experience delays, etc. then you have a day to regroup and recover.

WIT

READ the fine print. The cruise line is in NO WAY responsible for delays, reimbursements, etc., due to missed flights or mis-connections. There are VERY few cruise lines that accept ANY liability for actions of third party vendors. The only thing they are REQUIRED to do is refund your air ticket money.

You will generally be booked on NON ENDORSABLE consolidator class tickets. Means your ticket is NO GOOD on any airline OTHER than the originating airline. Can't use your cruise line booked United ticket on an AA, Continental, Delta, etc. etc. flight to get you to your destination, even IF the alternate airline's flight is the only one that will get you to your cruise ontime. Please read through the sticky on the top of the cruise air forum-Cruise Air and Air Deviation. KNOW what you are buying before you spend the money. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

This from the Avalon website.

"Air Arrangements:

Avalon Waterways is not responsible if an airline cancels, reschedules, or delays a flight for any reason. If you miss your departure flight, it is your responsibility to work with the airline on which you are ticketed to reach your destination. Avalon Waterways is not responsible for any additional expenses you may incur prior to joining your trip. Avalon Waterways is not responsible for and will not provide any refund for portions of trips missed due to canceled, rescheduled, or delayed flights.

For air purchased through Avalon Waterways, if any air schedule requires an overnight stay in a gateway city, Avalon Waterways can assist you with hotel reservations; however, the cost of the overnight stay (including hotel and meals) are at your expense. Air routings are subject to availability. Routings are not guaranteed and are subject to change at any time."

You're correct - however, as I suggested in my initial reply, if you purchased the "travel and cancellation insurance policy" offered by the cruise line, the insurance will cover many of the perils that are in your "not responsible" list above.. See the Viking River Policy link below that we purchase when we travel with them. it gives us some comfort.

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/us/pdfs/travelprotection.pdf

Jerry

You're correct - however, as I suggested in my initial reply, if you purchased the "travel and cancellation insurance policy" offered by the cruise line, the insurance will cover many of the perils that are in your "not responsible" list above.. See the Viking River Policy link below that we purchase when we travel with them. it gives us some comfort.

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/us/pdfs/travelprotection.pdf

Jerry

Did you read the fine print???? Air delay MUST be at least 12 hours or more.

Example: Cruise lines usually fly pax in 3-6 hours pre cruise check in unless they have asked for deviation. Your cruise air booked flight is supposed to arrive XXX airport 4.5 hours pre cruise check in. It is late 3 hours for departure and you may not make the cruise. Your cruise air ticket is NO good on another airline that WOULD get you to the cruise on time. And you haven't been delayed 12 hours. So EVERYTHING you do from the initial point of delay on comes out of your pocket-no insurance reimbursement.

In addition, if the next plane out gets you to your destination airport WITHIN the 12 hour delay provision, you are on your own getting to the next port. Insurance companies look at what WAS booked, not what may happen.

I am in the international logistics business. I move people and freight worldwide daily. I am also a non practicing attorney. Your theory will NOT reimburse for out of pocket expenses to catch up to the ship UNLESS the delay was over 12 hours (most likely a total cancellation of the flight OR an airport shutdown due to weather). Cruise air and cruise line purchased insurance is generally a VERY bad deal for a lot of reasons. Some independently purchased insurance often covers trip delays of only 4 hours. MUCH better insurance, IMHO.

Thanks for all the information. I appreciate all the posts. You have explained things very well and made me think more about various options. Guess we still have some more research to do.

On our first two river cruises, we used the tour operator's air carrier. On trip #1, it was fairly uneventful; the price seemed fair, and everything worked well. On trip #2, I must have gotten six different itineraries, and I got so many that I stopped studying them. Imagine my surprise when I got to the ship and examined the tickets and found that the latest return flight did not include assigned seats (my bad, I admit).

I have more than a slight case of claustrophobia, and aisle seats are real important; I went to an Air France ticket office in one of the cities we visited, but the class of ticket that the tour company had bought apparently did not offer pre-assigned seats. So when we got back to DeGaulle, I ran like a leopard (the the degree that I can!) and did get an aisle seat, but that is the last time I tried that. From then on, I make my own deal.

On our last trip, however, we did go ahead and use Avalon's BA ticket offer, as it was much cheaper than what we could get from AA, our normal carrier. It seems that BA was having some sort of special, and so we booked it and had absolutely no difficulty getting to our ship on time. To be honest, we did have an extra day in Amsterdam, as we had a day of sight-seeing there (included excursions as a part of the itinerary) and so we had a bit of slack time-wise.

On our next trip (next month) we looked at Viking's offer of air and found it to be too expensive to even contemplate and so purchased our own. We will have to get to the ship, but that is even cheaper than their transfers (if you don't buy the airfare from them). It has worked in the past and I trust that it will again!

Thanks ,we are looking at the Romantic Rhine Zurich to Amsterdam. We would like to spend and extra few days in Zuric before the trip. We appreciate the info.

I'm looking into the Basel to Amsterdam in August 2010. I finally decided to fly into Zurich and go directly to Lucerne for 2 nights then go to Basel for another 2 nights. I'm adding 2 nights in Amsterdam after the cruise. Someone who had lived in Switzerland told me that Lucerne & Basel were musts.

I'm looking at a GCT trip. The included air always prices at $750 from any gateway using them. I can't buy the air anywhere for that price. It prices at least $1100. Their routing might not be very good but it saves $350 PP.

I'm looking at a GCT trip. The included air always prices at $750 from any gateway using them. I can't buy the air anywhere for that price. It prices at least $1100. Their routing might not be very good but it saves $350 PP.

Don't know exactly where or when you are cruising, but Europe air is on sale now at very cheap prices. Most of the sales are running through next Spring.

Post on the Cruise Air forum for routing and suggestions on keeping your air prices down.

And please be aware, it is NOT just the routing that could be a problem with a tour operator's tickets. It is the NON ENDORSABLE feature of those tickets. Flight canceled, flight problem where you may miss your cruise-you are totally at the mercy of the airline to make nice. You really have NO rights concerning the ticket. You do with a self booked ticket.

Archived