What ever happened to the Norway?

chuckie621

I've not been here in a while, and was wondering whatever happened to this ship. I remember there was an incident (involving a fire maybe?) in which 4 crew members were killed, and theship was taken out of service for repairs. Last I remember (3-4 years ago), she hadn't been repaired, and the completion date kept being pushed back.

Anyone have any word? Thanks.

(This is my first post? That's pathetic!!!)

The Norway was at the time significantly larger than any existing cruise ship, and exploited the extra space available by adding a greater than usual variety of onboard entertainment. Her success paved the way for a new era of giant cruise ships. Sadly a boiler explosion in May 2003 forced NCL to withdraw the Norway from service, later being laid up in Bremerhaven, Germany until 2005 when she was towed to Port Klang Malaysia under false pretexts (to circumvent EEC laws on breaking toxic ships), and later beached illegally at Alang, Gujurat, India in August 2006 without having been cleaned of toxic materials. On September 11, 2007, the India Supreme Court issued an order permitting her to be broken-up at Alang, despite the presence of large amounts of hazardous asbestos remaining on board.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Cruise_Lines

Pictures of breakup at

http://www.maritimematters.com/norway.html

Salty,

I'm almost sorry that I went to the site you posted. The SS Norway was a true ocean liner, not a floating hotel. The newest NCL Epic is ugly, IMHO! Why can't ship designers capture th grandeur of liners like the Norway? Disney comes close. The rest are too box-like.

Farewell, Grand dame!

We had always wanted to sail on the Norway - and were so lucky to sail before the accident - 2 weeks before. The public rooms were just amazing - and people here at Cruise Critic told me about the "hidden passageways" that I found one day at sea - a little spooky - but absolutely a once in a lifetime experience.

We miss Her.

Salty,

I'm almost sorry that I went to the site you posted. The SS Norway was a true ocean liner, not a floating hotel. The newest NCL Epic is ugly, IMHO! Why can't ship designers capture th grandeur of liners like the Norway? Disney comes close. The rest are too box-like.

Farewell, Grand dame!

When more and more passengers want balconies and aft cabins and are willing to pay a premium for them, the only way to produce more is to stack the decks higher and higher..... thus your box.....

Archived