really dumb question...

Snowbuddy

which side is port side? from what I have found searching this forum, it sounds like we should get a port side room, but I am not sure which side that is...:o

we are doing southern caribbean, aruba route on the AOS...thx!!

which side is port side? from what I have found searching this forum, it sounds like we should get a port side room, but I am not sure which side that is...:o

we are doing southern caribbean, aruba route on the AOS...thx!!

The port side is the left side.

That does NOT mean that the portside (left) will face the land! It's just what you call that side of the ship. The right side is "starboard". Either side of the ship can be facing land while docked---it's up to the Captain, and the dock personnel...sometimes, the ship's bow is pulled into the slip, so neither side faces land.

To answer you question, it doesn't matter which side of the ship you're on.

That does NOT mean that the portside (left) will face the land! It's just what you call that side of the ship. The right side is "starboard". Either side of the ship can be facing land while docked---it's up to the Captain, and the dock personnel...sometimes, the ship's bow is pulled into the slip, so neither side faces land.

To answer you question, it doesn't matter which side of the ship you're on.

I knew that the "portside" doesn't mean it will be facing land (port); I had seen a discussion on here where someone said that the portside just happened to be the one that faced in at most of the stops on this route. that is why I asked...i now realize that this can change, so i guess you're right, it doesn't matter anyway.

I had seen a discussion on here where someone said that the portside just happened to be the one that faced in at most of the stops on this route. that is why I asked...i.

One of the most misconceptions on the waters. Many people book the portside because they think they will face the island. Like the above poster said-- it has a lot of varibles. When they dock who came first. who leaves first,

In St Marten-- you can face the port or you can face another ship- last cruise we faced a ship and we had the starboard side. (nice for viewing the people running at the last minute trying not to miss the ship

I have always remember "star right" and never confused the port or starboard again. Not sure why that worked, but it never seemed to matter much which side we were on except that the whales were always on the other side when we were in Alaska.

I have always remember "star right" and never confused the port or starboard again. Not sure why that worked, but it never seemed to matter much which side we were on except that the whales were always on the other side when we were in Alaska.

another good way to remember -- left and port both have 4 letters in the words

My mnemonic is to remember that "port" and "left" have the same number of letters. As reinforcement, "starboard' has two "r's" and thus goes with 'right".

You have to remember that in order to determine port from starboard, you must be facing the front (or bow) of the ship. In that case, port is left, starboard is right.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Archived