Recent Golden comments/ suggestions/hints?

nini

Would love to hear from recent Golden/ Alaska cruisers. Comments (especially from repeat Golden fans) would be interesting. Helpful hints for Tracy Arm & where on the ship to enjoy this viewing and other comments would be fun! We are excited for our July adventure! Thanks

I just off Golden last Saturday, here are some hints and tips to share:

Don't eat too much at the beginning, otherwise no room for the crab leg(s) and lobster(s) for the 5th and 6th night dinner. Don't be shy to ask for the second.

Main dinning food is much better than the Horizon buffet, same food but over cooked and taste different. I did once and never went back to buffet.

Be standing outside the train car when you ride the White Pass at Skagway, the best spot to shot video and photos while turns.

Don't sleep too much, otherwise you miss the Tracy Arm view started 7:30am Wed morning thru 10:30am. This is the best view for the whole cruise.

Try at least 1-2 times for the afternoon tea, even no room to eat. Pastry are so good.

Try MUTS and put at least 4-5 bankets to cover the whole body, it is really fun.

Swimming Pools are very warm, they are NOT sea water.

Have fun and don't forget the rain coast and jacket.

We went to Endicott Glacier rather than Tracy Arm because there was too much ice in Tracy Arm on our June cruise. We have been to all three glaciers now and our favorite is Tracy Arms as the icebergs are so large and clean. You might see blood on them where the mother just gave birth. You will see baby seals and mothers on the ice bergs enjoying the sun. To get the BEST viewing we enjoy always having our own balcony. There will also be someone telling you what's happening along the way. Spring for a GOOD pair of binocular! We just did and we love them!

We were on the Golden Princess in Nov/Dec 2008 to Hawaii, May 30/June 6, 2009 and again will be on July 4-11 to Alaska. The weather was perfect (I think set heat records), the food was the BEST on Princess ships. Everything was perfect that's why we're doing a quick turn around!

On the sea addict,

We are sailing on the Golden in August. I some times get a little sea sick and I was wondering how rough the seas were? I plan to take Bonine which has helped in the past.

I got off of the Golden last month and we viewed Tracy arm right from our balcony. But there are plenty of places to view the fjord especially on the promenade deck and up on the sun Deck.

I must say that the buffet food was some of the best I have ever had and we eat a lot at the buffet. Food is very subjective and some like it and some do not. One night they had some of the best lamb shanks I have ever tasted. Good stuff.

Enjoy the cruise.

Marilyn

We were on the Golden June 13-20 out of Seattle. Tracy Arm was gorgeous..the beauty of the fjords almost surpasses the beauty of the glaciers. There was a lot of ice so we could not get real close to the glaciers, but the boat rotates so everyone got great views. We watched mostly from our balcony, but it was chilly (mid 50's and windy/drizzly- a TRUE Alaskan experience)... we saw a ton of seals in Tracy Arm. The glaciers and Icebergs were gorgeous...the naturalist on board does a great job narrating as you go through Tracy Arm. We were in Awe!

We were not impressed with the Horizon buffet....if you can, go to the Diningroom for lunch. A diningroom (I think Bernini) is open from 12-130 on embarkation day as well. The diningroom food was awesome, especially the crab legs and the cold soups. We had anytime dining and were happy to be done with dinner in 1 hour instead of 2! If you do anytime dining, call the dining line (3643) at 8 am to make a reservation...then you do not have to wait in the long line!

We found the ship to be kind of lusterless (we have cruised on the Disney Wonder and Royal Carribbean Mariner previously)....carpets were really worn, colors outdated...not sure what they did in drydock. It was raining one morning as we were walking to the Horizon Buffet and a large section of the ceiling caved in and another area was just about to....Our room was very comfortable though, and had a lot of storage areas.

You have to see Carlos Oscar the comedian! He puts on a hilarious show and it was very family friendly. The singing and dancing shows were just so-so and the magician was pretty bad....

We used Coastal in Juneau and landed on Herbert Glacier...a real bucket list item....do it if you can! We used Chilkoot in Skagway- the 7.5 hr train/bus ride...terrific excursion.. In Ketchikan we went to the Heritage Center/Salmon Hatchery/Eagle Sanctuary...those were interesting...

We used Already There Towncar for our transportation in/around Seattle. Great company...highly recommend them.... We had an early (1055 am) flight out of SeaTac and we were somewhat concerned, but we did self disembarkation and were walking off the ship at 745, were in the Towncar at 755 and were checking in at the airport at 820! Unbelievable!

Have a great trip....all in all, it was wonderful!

Archived