RCCL fan just booked CCL Legend-looking for comparisons...2nd guessing...

As you can see by my signature, we're loyal RCCL fans, but wanted to try a different itinerary. I booked Carnival's Legend out of Tampa for August 30th.

It's too late to cancel, but I wondered if anyone here has sailed Legend and would be kind enough to give me their impression or maybe even a comparison.

I hate second guessing myself. My daughter (16) is so upset we're not going on Freedom of the Seas again. I'm just so tired of the same itineraries...

Thanks so much!

The Legend is a Spirit Class ship...which I feel is their best design. Our first cruise in 2002 was on a sister ship called the Pride. We really loved it and so did the other 3 couples that we were with. They have tables on the outer extremities of the center pool. The cabins are a bit larger on Carnival and the food was slightly better. You are going to get some expected bad reactions from some of your CCer's. Just go with an open mind without any preconceived negatives that you will get from these boards and you will enjoy your cruise! You will not have the rock climbing, ice skating, flowrider, etc. You will have a water slide.

I also went on the Carnival Legend a few years ago and had a good time.

I was also very impressed with the staff-this was the first time that I when I ran into certain staff members in port, they invited us to join them and had drinks (and shots!). Of course, I'm sure these staff members are on different ships by now or perhaps not even with CCL..

The food was fine- I would say comparable to RCCL though I like RCCL's specialty restaurants much better than the Legend's offering (I think it was called the Golden Fleece).

Rooms are larger than RCCL. I had originally booked an interior guarantee for my sailing on the Carnival Legend and was assigned an obstructed oceanview. This room was a very nice size, and actually had sliding french doors (there was a railing and a lifeboat right there, but it was still nice to get a bit of ocean air into the room) This ship is more long and narrow than others (if my memory serves me- I think it was built for Panama Canal sailings) so my theory is that there are less interior rooms due to the ship's layout.

A few downsides to the Carnival Legend that I obseved- (just my opinion, mind you... :))

-There was the same Fleur de Lys design over a good percentage of the interior of the ship- repeating over and over on wallpaper, furniture, etc. just annoying to me..

347px-Fleur-de-lis-outline.svg.png (example)

-Also, other interior decor was um, loud. But some might say fun and energizing- to each his own.

- I also think that on this ship, more than others that I have been on, the public areas were more concentrated between fewer floors- less spread out.

I also prefer Royal, but Carnival Legend was just fine and I'm sure no matter which ship you go on- you'll have a blast!

If you like, I could find a few pictures of the Carnival Legend for ya- let me know!

We cruised Carnival Legend a few years back with our 2 sons, when the ship was about a year old. Went to the Caribbean from NYC. We had a great time, but we have a great time no matter what ship we're on or which cruise line or itinerary we are on. Nice ship. I would have no problem cruising CCL again, although we are more partial to RC. My wife is convinced that the service is a bit better on RC but not by much. Carnival Legend had the best pizza, served 24 hours a day. I remember the pizza more than the food, but I know it was very good. I would say the food was the same as on RC, but that's just me. Go. You'll have a great time.

Ok, so I know I said just ask if you wanted to see pics, but I started going through my pictures on my computer anyway, so here are a few!

Thank you for the pictures!

Thank you everyone for your responses. We'll go into it with an open mind. The ship has some great reviews and it's better than being home!!

We've never been on the Legend, but I'll bet you'll have a good time! As you can see, we've mostly cruised with RCCL too. However, I'm all about the itinerary and the price these days. Just be positive and enjoy your cruise!!! We're "straying" from RCCL again this fall and going on an NCL Spirit cruise out of New Orleans; we won't have to fly! Also, we'll be going to a couple of places we haven't been already.

You chose what I consider their best class, on the best ship in that class.

It has two decks of promenades, lots of nooks and crannies, a japanese wood look to it, with lots of urns, and a Lido deck with three pools, one with a cover if needed, and the rear adult only.

The Lido restaurant has lots of stations with lots of varieties, plus a deli, and Chinese restaurant.

The flow of traffic works very well on this layout.

All while experiencing the FUN aspect of cruising.

Enjoy!

Legend Slideshow here:

http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/349926227KEFkPx?mediaPosition=1

The ship of urns. I remember then well. I prowled around one night taking pictures of all of Joe's urns but the memory card went south when I got home, before I could offload the pics.

The Spirit class is closest to RCI in term of design. Much better overall appearance and functionality the the Fantasy/Victory/Conquest classes.

I too, am booked on the Carnival Legend and eagerly looking forward to the trip. We have sailed RCCL and Celebrity exclusively for the past several years, an are pleased to be sailing Carnival again. Change is always good, and we have generlally always had very positive experiences on all of our cruises, with the exception of one-RCCL Explorer to Bermuda. With the economy in limbo, the Carnival Legend fit our time frame and budget perfectly. We were able to get an Aft Wrap Balcony Suite for less than a standard balcony on RCCL. The Caribbean product offered by all cruise lines is so similar, that, other than ship design and decoration it becomes a matter for us of the best value. We are going with our best friends, so we know that we will have a good time. My favorite ships will always be the Radiance and the Century, so I know we will return.

We have done five Royal cruises and six Carnival cruises. We loved the Legend and are booked on her again for September. It is a nice ship, good staff and food, and great ports. And sailing under the Sunshine Skyway bridge is a real treat. Enjoy.:D

Thanks so much for the responses!

I told my 16 DD to go into it with an open mind. She's of the belief that there is no better ship than Freedom. I told her she would make many friends on the Legend also.

Getting really excited!!

Miss Nikki not only did I like your video but I loved your music can you tell me where to find it? You have also perked my attention to try CCL. Thanks

Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't know who the artist is for the music. I found it on youtube's music swap thing...I loved it too!

Archived