? for Hardy Northerners - clothing tips

fann1sh

I keep reading on this board about packing layers of clothing, long underwear, etc.

Then I look at the expected range of temperatures for August for Southeast Alaska with 50's the absolute lows, perhaps cold wind on glacier viewing days.

Call me a crazy Canuck, but I can't imagine needing more than my London Fog 3 season jacket over a short sleeved T - and leaving the down/flannel lining safe at home. Maybe a lightweight cardigan over the T shirt/under the jacket.

I've got a Frog Toggs DriDucks to keep me dry, and good waterproof shoes. But, layers for COLD? :eek: Any Michiganders or Ontarians with advice?

I keep reading on this board about packing layers of clothing, long underwear, etc.

Then I look at the expected range of temperatures for August for Southeast Alaska with 50's the absolute lows, perhaps cold wind on glacier viewing days.

Call me a crazy Canuck, but I can't imagine needing more than my London Fog 3 season jacket over a short sleeved T - and leaving the down/flannel lining safe at home. Maybe a lightweight cardigan over the T shirt/under the jacket.

I've got a Frog Toggs DriDucks to keep me dry, and good waterproof shoes. But, layers for COLD? :eek: Any Michiganders or Ontarians with advice?

Well, as a former Alaskan, I'll just say - you got it. Of course the wind coming off the water en route will be closer to the water temperature counting wind chill, but if your jacket has a decent zipper I don't know why more extreme measures would be needed. Or, hell, just pop into the ship's shops and buy a cheesy sweatshirt in you're that desperate.

I'm from Florida and just returned from 12 Day alaska cruisetour. I actually had to go out and purchase clothing for this trip. Yes layers. It wasn't awfully cold. When the sun is out it was about 70, around 55 when cloudy. Mornings are colder can be high 30's/low 40's. Afternoon/evenings 55-70 depending if the sun is out or not. Along the coast and in the mountains are cooler than the interior (It was 75 in Fairbanks/ while it was 65 in Anchorage). No heavy coats needed. A sweater and jacket, preferably waterproof and a hat (for the rain or if you are doing an excursion that requires being outside, like biking, hiking, rafting). The rain was never a heavy downpour, just a "pissing" as we called it. Also depends on the excursions you are doing. We did biking and it was cold and rainy that day. They did supply us with rain gear and I'm glad I brought my gloves. There was a 20 degree drop in temp at the higher elevation.

We just returned from an Alaska trip and it rained every day (usually just in the mornings and then cleared up) and while dampish, it wasn't overly cold on land. I took my light jacket and wore a t-shirt and a light hoodie underneath and I was fine (and I am usually the coldest person in our family). I remember reading these boards earlier and wondering if I had packed enough warm things. I found that my BEST item of clothing was my pashmina! I used it for the first formal night, and then it became my best friend in Glacier Bay and College Fjord when we spent a lot of time on deck. It worked to keep my hair from flapping in my face, and kept my neck warm when it did get chilly. I did wear a pair of those 79cent one size fits all light gloves when on deck too. That was the only chilly time. And I didn't bring waterproof shoes - my running shoes did get soaked in Ketchikan but I remembered Budget Queen's advice and stuffed towels in them and they were perfectly dry by the next morning and ready to go again!

That's the scoop from this Eastern Canadian!

heh hoser...you will be fine.....did the Alaska cruise...out on deck watching the glaciers..in a tshirt...Americans were all wrapped up in parkas....it was a bit chilly but no worse than spring time here...so being a Canuck you will survive....windbreaker and a sweatshirt probably plenty..enjoy the cruise

your clothing plan sounds good to me. i would even leave the 3 season jacket home. but that is just me. i am from illinois and i can tell you that i dont bring as many warm clothes as other seem too need. i have always gone up as far as skagway in may and sept and never had a problem with the cold. even on the deck for glacier day i am not cold. i always bring a turtleneck and never wear it ( it will stay home next june ). my long underwear stayed in the bag on my first cruise and i havent taken them since. i take a couple of sweaters, a hooded sweatshirt in case it gets chilly ( in the summer months i wont bring that either ) and i have a light weight nylon windbreaker in case it rains. which i can say it never has for me. ''' now i just jinxed myself :D ''''. when i go next june i will really be cutting down on my clothes i take. a couple of bathing suits, a couple of cute sundresses that i can use as a cover up or for eating at night, a pair of capris and a few tops and a light weight sweater. thats it. one carry-on is all i am going to have. us cold blooded people have an advantage for the alaska cruise compared to the passengers that live in the warm weather states. im sure my sister-in-law from pheonix is going to be more chilly than i but she will be prepared for it. dont go out and buy all brand new clothes. i have found that what i have in my closet it perfect for my cruises. they are in fashion, clean and not tattered. i will spend my money on fun things on the cruise instead of buying a new wardrobe. have a great time on your cruise.

I;m not sure what kind of cold is in Alaska but in Montreal it is the damp kind that chills your bones .So I think FEELING cold depends a lot on humidity.However dry cold is not that bad even in the teeny tiny numbers

I bought a warm jacket with hood and waterproof .It is not a waste I can always use it here if not in Alaska .I have a super light duffle bag in which I put winter clothes because of airline baggage restrictions .It is stuffed .My son says no coat but I'm bringing it just in case .He thinks his Hoodie will be enough

I hope for good weather and I'm ready if it's sunny and cold...PLEASE NO RAIN!!!!!

Michele

Archived