Athens subway

Bohemian

Did anyone walk from the international pier to the Piraeus subway station? I was told that it takes about 20 minutes but looking at the map, that seems like a very optimistic estimate. Also, how far is the walk from the Monastiraki station through the flea market to the Acropolis?

We did the walk most recently in April. Assuming you walk at a pretty good pace it does take about 20 - 25 min. If you want to stroll it will take you about 30. There is also a bus #843 that you can catch across the street from the port that will take you to the station.

Hank

We did it in May. Took shuttle bus from ship to port exit (not a long ride) then walked to the METRO (not subway). It took us a good 25 minutes walking briskly. The metro was the easy part. Got off at Monastariki and walked thru the square, thru Plaka and up the hill..... that took about 30 minutes but we stopped at a tavern for a quick coke and a bathroom break before heading up the hill..... I felt like it was a nice stroll..... enjoyed it.

Did anyone walk from the international pier to the Piraeus subway station? I was told that it takes about 20 minutes but looking at the map, that seems like a very optimistic estimate.

Some indeed do walk (25 minutes, I believe), but I preferred to save my legs for central Athens itself, so we took the 843 bus.

Thank you all for your replies. Sounds like taking the bus to the Metro is a good idea to save our energy for climbing the hills and steps later. I think we'll just buy the Metro day-pass to make getting around easier.

On previous cruises, I have bought a 24 hour pass for all the city transportation, but I have not seen anything mentioned for Athens. If we use this 843 bus, is there a day pass I can ask for when we board that will be good for all buses and trains in Athens? Can you buy the pass on the bus or do we need to find a convenience store or stand that sells the transportation passes?

Thanks!

On previous cruises, I have bought a 24 hour pass for all the city transportation, but I have not seen anything mentioned for Athens. If we use this 843 bus, is there a day pass I can ask for when we board that will be good for all buses and trains in Athens? Can you buy the pass on the bus or do we need to find a convenience store or stand that sells the transportation passes?

Thanks!

for buses, metro and trolley there is a 24 hours ticket and cost 3 euro... you can find in any metro station or in kiosks...

Thank you Fafos,

Is there one of these kiosks near the port so we can purchase the 3 Euro ticket before getting on the 843 bus? If not, how much should the bus ride be to the Pireaus Metro station?

when you exit from port you will see a kiosk at the right... normal price is 1 euro and you can use for 1.5 hours...

when you exit from port you will see a kiosk at the right... normal price is 1 euro and you can use for 1.5 hours...

Hi, does this mean that I need to purchase the 1 euro ticket for bus 843, and also the 3 euro ticket for the all day use of the metro?

Or can I just go to the kiosk at the right and buy the 3 euro pass and that will get me use of bus 843 and the metro?

Lastly, when I come back from Athens to Piraeus, do I take the same bus 843 back to the port?

Thank you!

Hi, does this mean that I need to purchase the 1 euro ticket for bus 843, and also the 3 euro ticket for the all day use of the metro?

Or can I just go to the kiosk at the right and buy the 3 euro pass and that will get me use of bus 843 and the metro?

Lastly, when I come back from Athens to Piraeus, do I take the same bus 843 back to the port?

Thank you!

3 euros tickets are valid for buses, metro and trolley and for 24 hours.. some times these kiosks don't have this ticket and you must buy the 1 euro ticket... in 1.5 hour you can use this ticket with buses and metro... normally in this 1.5 hour you will use with 843 bus and metro... if you want, you can't doing the same when go back to port so you don't need buy a 3 euros ticket except if you want use and other metro lines (ex. go to National museum)...

When you want go back to port with 843 bus you will see at the other side of road -when exit Pireaus metro- a kiosk and a bus station.. go from bridge to this bus station and take the 843 bus (every 20-30 minutes)...

Fafos!

Thank you!!! You are wonderful.

So, if I only wanted to go to on 843 bus and go from Piraeus metro to Monistiraki and then back the same way, it may be cheaper to buy 1 euro ticket to go into Athens and 1 euro ticket to come back to Piraeus?

Is the kiosk a computer one? I assume there is a button for English?

Ok! This is great information. I really appreciate!

Fafos!

Thank you!!! You are wonderful.

The same tell me my wife before 10 years but now don't say anymore:p

So, if I only wanted to go to on 843 bus and go from Piraeus metro to Monistiraki and then back the same way, it may be cheaper to buy 1 euro ticket to go into Athens and 1 euro ticket to come back to Piraeus?

Yes, if you want use only these buy the 1 euro ticket.. normally you need 20-30 minutes for use the ticket in both transfers (you must validate the ticket ONLY in first transfer, ex. bus)

Ok! This is great information. I really appreciate!

No, our kiosks are cigarettes points (Greeks are champion with smoking and I'm their king!:p) and always is a person in there who will sale you the tickets... for that reason they don't keep big amount of 3 euros tickets because fear rob them...

LOL. Unfortunately, it is the closest newspaper/tobacco stand, and the ones near the cruise ship terminal often are out of tickets, so you first walk for 10 minutes trying every one of them on your way to the metro.

Oh, well, we saw more of Piraeus that way last September!

Also, the 843 bus does not run often enough. But, aw, heck, you're still on vacation in Greece!:)

If I happen to be there when the bus shows up, and I can't buy a ticket at the kiosk because they are out... can I just buy a ticket on the bus? Or do they not sell them on busses?

no, drivers don't sell tickets and you can't see the bus from port's exit...

Also, the 843 bus does not run often enough. But, aw, heck, you're still on vacation in Greece!:)

No, has a #843 bus every 10 minutes (normally):

04 40 55 05 08 20 31 41 52 06 02 12 22 32 42 50 58 07 06 14 22 31 39 48 56 08 05 13 21 30 39 48 57 09 05 14 23 32 41 50 59 10 08 17 26 35 44 53 11 02 11 20 29 38 47 56 12 05 14 23 32 41 50 58 13 07 15 24 32 41 49 58 14 06 15 23 32 41 49 57 15 06 15 24 33 42 51 16 00 10 20 30 40 50 17 00 10 20 30 40 50 18 00 10 20 30 40 50 19 00 10 20 30 40 50 20 00 10 20 30 42 54 21 06 18 30 45 22 00 15 30 45 23 00 20 40 24 00

no, drivers don't sell tickets and you can't see the bus from port's exit...

what would i do without everyone's help? thanks!

so if the kiosk doesn't have tickets then I have no option but to walk?

(sorry, not interested in taking a taxi)

what would i do without everyone's help? thanks!

in Greece, in every city,town or tiny village, every 100 meters you will find for sure: 1 church, 1 cafeneio (traditional cafe) and 1 kiosk:D

Did anyone walk from the international pier to the Piraeus subway station? I was told that it takes about 20 minutes but looking at the map, that seems like a very optimistic estimate. Also, how far is the walk from the Monastiraki station through the flea market to the Acropolis?

I would take the bus to the train station.

Last September ,we just started walking toward the metro station and stopped at every kiosk we passed until one actually was not out of tickets. We stopped at either 4 or 5 before actually scoring two tickets! But the bus came soon after, so we were happy campers.

On the way back at the end of the day (our ship overnighted in Athens before disembarkation), around 5 PM, we waited for an extremely long time for the bus, definitely more than 15 minutes. So Pireaus buses probably are just like those in NYC (where I formerly lived); wait forever and then three come at the same time!:)

Taxi is 5 euros to the Metro station - well worth it if its a hot day and you've been out sightseeing all day - the walk back to the ship terminal is a long one that seems to go on forever. The Metro is great for everything else

Archived