Piraeus, Athens - Acropolis help?

JustAnOrdinaryGirl

There are many ways to do Athens. One is to hire a driver, and this works pretty well. Another is to hire a driver and licensed guide and this is fine if pricey. Many people on this board have reported taking a taxi or the Metro with no problems. I think taxis in Greece are pretty reliable.

Once you get to Athens, I would suggest you start at the Acropoli station and walk the Antiquities Promenade. DH will get all the ancient history he can handle!!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

But the good news is that right next to the Acropoli station is a nice little section called Plaka's Gate that will give you a chance to shop and enjoy the atmosphere before beginning the Promenade. If you reach the end of the Antiquities Promenade in time, it is very easy to take the metro to the Monastiriki Flea Market which is a shopper's paradise!

Have a GREAT cruise!

That made me smile - thank you so much for all this info! :)

Last September, we took a taxi with all our luggage from Piraeus port to central Athens upon cruise disembarkation for 24 Euros, a price which we bargained for before having us or our luggage put in the taxi.

Last month, we took a taxi from central Athens to Piraeus port for cruise embarkation and paid 20 Euros, again a price quoted for us (but no bargaining needed) before we put our luggage or ourselves in the taxi (which our hotel had called for us.)

Just agree on the price before getting in the taxi. That way, no misunderstandings or recriminations.

It's my picture but it's not my posting...

Another cruiser who knows that I have such a picture used it in her posting.

HeinBloed

I know this was not your posting...... my last post was not directed at you personally :) or anyone else personally...... just everyone in general.

Just be sure the info you are giving is correct and current.

Hi

I regret to post the information – I visited Athens last year and I didn´t had the feeling (and it was the time, the oil-price was extrem high) that the prices were higher than the year before. (and they didn ´t went up 250%!)

The picture should be an indication for future travellers

And I know that sometimes taxi drivers take advantage and will not give correct informations to tourists who don´t know, that there are recommended prices for several routes.

They don´t use the meter or use other ways to manipulate the price.

CruiseCritic is a forum to provide informations in advance – but now I had to learn, that some users think, it´s part of the fun to be ripped of.

I am willing to pay the correct price – for the cruise, for every service I get. I do not smuggle alcohol on board and I am not a cheap person. But I don´t want to be betrayed.

Sorry Hein to use your picture and to put you on the spot!

Wendy

Hi

I regret to post the information – I visited Athens last year and I didn´t had the feeling (and it was the time, the oil-price was extrem high) that the prices were higher than the year before. (and they didn ´t went up 250%!)

The picture should be an indication for future travellers

And I know that sometimes taxi drivers take advantage and will not give correct informations to tourists who don´t know, that there are recommended prices for several routes.

They don´t use the meter or use other ways to manipulate the price.

CruiseCritic is a forum to provide informations in advance – but now I had to learn, that some users think, it´s part of the fun to be ripped of.

I am willing to pay the correct price – for the cruise, for every service I get. I do not smuggle alcohol on board and I am not a cheap person. But I don´t want to be betrayed.

Sorry Hein to use your picture and to put you on the spot!

Wendy

There is no need for an excuse.

You posted here in the best intention to help other cruisers who are not willing to pay ANY price. Thank you for doing it.

So who are smart will take the information that this price board exisits at the exit of the cruise terminal and they should have a close look before entering a taxi and wondering about paying 60 EUR for the ride to the Akropolis. And each of us has a digital camera and should take the picture for the worst case that the cab driver does not speak any English and you just need to point on the destination in Greek letters.

I see it like you:

we have to work hard to afford a cruise - and there is no need to pay overpriced taxi rides.

Therefore: no need to excuse and thanks very much for your posting.

Regards,

HeinBloed

If you need a taxi next time in Piraeus let me know:

I will tell you a liable taxi-driver who also speaks German.

Hi again

here are some informations and "tricks":

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=110

"Otherwise, if you opt for taxi transport, prepare to be fleeced ... unless of course you are, um, prepared. While taxi fares are posted at the port terminal (by destination they range from about eight to 12 euros into various points in Athens), the ever-so-charming drivers will try to convince you that the fares are per person (they're not!). Coming back to Piraeus from Athens (we were in Syntagma Square), the driver tried to tell me the fare was a flat 35 euros (admittedly it was rush hour but I'm not an idiot -- Piraeus is just seven miles away). I protested, cited the price stated at the terminal, and he balked, I picked up my cell phone and told him I'd have to check ... and he "all of a sudden" became more agreeable and proposed a fare of 15 euros. That seemed fair and, believe it or not, he wanted to shake hands on it (and so we did)! Tip: If there's no meter, keep your cell phone handy; my service gave me a number (1404) to call with questions. If there is a meter, make sure that the number one vs. number two is what shows up (#2 is for post-midnight, double-the-fare trips; if you're traveling any other time you should not pay this).

Editor's strong hint: Keep your cell phone handy and do not hesitate to call the numbers we've provided if you feel something is amiss. Better yet, do it in front of the taxi driver.... Also, taxis operate unofficially on the jitney system, indicating willingness to pick up others by blinking their headlights or simply slowing down. You'll need to shout out your destination as the driver cruises by (or others may shout out a direct destination and you will wind up sharing a cab). And one more thing: Locals don't tip drivers, but do round up to the next convenient euro. Once you're in Athens, you'll find it a wonderfully walk-able city."

So my impression about maybe "not so correct drivers" is true...

And this is an information from online port information Piraeus, information provided by Piraeus port authority 2009:

http://www.piraeus-greece.org/piraeus-taxi.html

"Always make sure, that the taxi meter is running and is not showing 2, thats the double fare during the night"

Wendy

There are many ways to do Athens. One is to hire a driver, and this works pretty well. Another is to hire a driver and licensed guide and this is fine if pricey. Many people on this board have reported taking a taxi or the Metro with no problems. I think taxis in Greece are pretty reliable.

Once you get to Athens, I would suggest you start at the Acropoli station and walk the Antiquities Promenade. DH will get all the ancient history he can handle!!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

But the good news is that right next to the Acropoli station is a nice little section called Plaka's Gate that will give you a chance to shop and enjoy the atmosphere before beginning the Promenade. If you reach the end of the Antiquities Promenade in time, it is very easy to take the metro to the Monastiriki Flea Market which is a shopper's paradise!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hi, I loved your photos and the walking tour you took on your own and we printed it out with plans to follow your outline and so were thinking of staying at the Parthenon as we have two days before our cruise on Oct 19 and it seemed so central. We originally were thinking of staying at the Athalos but haven't seen anyone write about it. Now I see that on your first trip you did use a guide. This is my first trip so what do you think?

We stayed at the Attalos in 2004. It's a good basic hotel, elevator, good a/c, clean rooms. Roof top bar with a view of the Acropolis.

It's in Monastiraki, close to the Ancient Agora, next to the Psiri neighbourhood.

We liked it, would stay there again. Not luxurious, but efficiently run.

We stayed at the Attalos in 2004. It's a good basic hotel, elevator, good a/c, clean rooms. Roof top bar with a view of the Acropolis.

It's in Monastiraki, close to the Ancient Agora, next to the Psiri neighbourhood.

We liked it, would stay there again. Not luxurious, but efficiently run.

We have just confirmed the Parthenon Hotel in Athens. It is reasonably priced and in walking distance of everything we want to see. We are considering hiring a guide as well. In Istanbul we just booked the Hilton Park SA hotel using points. Now we are ready to work on tours and would love to join others in the different ports.

Susan

Hi, I loved your photos and the walking tour you took on your own and we printed it out with plans to follow your outline and so were thinking of staying at the Parthenon as we have two days before our cruise on Oct 19 and it seemed so central. We originally were thinking of staying at the Athalos but haven't seen anyone write about it. Now I see that on your first trip you did use a guide. This is my first trip so what do you think?

We did use a guide our first trip. She took us many places around Athens, not just the antiquities. She did guide us at the Acropolis, and had a great deal of historical and archeological information to report. Do you remember the little girl who made a book report? She said, "This book is about penguins, and it told me more about penguins than I really wanted to know!"

Frankly I think that with a good guide book, it is very easy from the Parthenon Hotel to walk the entire Antiquities Promenade yourself. If you want the in depth treatment, you can hire a guide at the Acropolis itself. You can easily spend a day walking the Promenade and then shopping the Plaka.

For the other day why not arrange a guided tour of the OTHER sights of Athens ... the Presidential Palace, the Olympic stadium, etc. Or optionally, you can probably find a tour that includes those sights AND the Acropolis so do that the first day, and the second day walk the rest of the Promenade and the Plaka.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived