Piraeus, Athens - Acropolis help?

JustAnOrdinaryGirl

Hi

Im docking here 7.00-19.00 in September. Think it will have to be the Aropolis and somewhere so can anyone recommend anywhere nearby?

Would prefer not to do ship excursion but dont want to spend a lot of money/time/hassle getting somewhere. Taxis worry me so can we go here some other way?

Any suggestions?

As always THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

Paula

There is a Metro at the north end of the harbor.

You will have a walk to the Metro. There is a stop near the Acropolis.

You will need to get a guide book before you get to the Acropolis. I never found a guide book in English at the Acropolis or the museums (May 2009).

If you take a taxi, make sure the meter is set to 1 on the rate (not 2, 3, or 4).

Also you can "hired" a guide at the Acropolis, but it would be pricely for less than 6 people.

If you take the Metro, make sure you have your valuable in a secure bag. There are picketpockets on the Metro.

MSEm

OK, you did mean Greece. I would second the metro into Athens, very easy to get to the Platka and/or Acropolis areas. When we were there we shared a cab to the Acropolis with another couple, wandered all over there, then walked down to the Platka area and had a nice lunch and enjoyed the shops and took the metro back to Piraeus. The Archaeological Museum is also very good there. It might help to tell us what interests you, museums, history, scenery, shopping, etc. The Piraeus port itself is a very commercial area with some shops and restaurants near the port area, not that exciting to hang around in.

Hi

Im docking here 7.00-19.00 in September. Think it will have to be the Aropolis and somewhere so can anyone recommend anywhere nearby?

Would prefer not to do ship excursion but dont want to spend a lot of money/time/hassle getting somewhere. Taxis worry me so can we go here some other way?

Any suggestions?

As always THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

Paula

Check these:

Acropolis new museum for cruisers: http://istopoli.com/cruise/acropolis/cruisers.html

Walk tour with start from Thission metro station: http://www.istopoli.com/cruise/athens-map-thision.html

Walk tour with start from Acropolis metro station: http://www.istopoli.com/cruise/athens-map-acropolis.html

Time meter for Athens destinations: http://istopoli.com/cruise/athens.php

Make a search in these forums.. there are many information about Athens..

OK, you did mean Greece. I would second the metro into Athens, very easy to get to the Platka and/or Acropolis areas. When we were there we shared a cab to the Acropolis with another couple, wandered all over there, then walked down to the Platka area and had a nice lunch and enjoyed the shops and took the metro back to Piraeus. The Archaeological Museum is also very good there. It might help to tell us what interests you, museums, history, scenery, shopping, etc. The Piraeus port itself is a very commercial area with some shops and restaurants near the port area, not that exciting to hang around in.

Sorry got it all muddled and you caught me before I edited it! Thanks for this... what interests me... $64,000 question. My husband loves ruins, history etc which I cant be doing with - I love scenery & shopping... he hates shopping! hehe Actually he does usually win. I think Acropolis would have to win here... bit a little something else thrown in wouldnt hurt for us girlies surely! hehe:)

We took a taxi from the Port to the Acropolis and spent a couple hours there enjoying the site and the views. Then we walked down from the Acropolis towards the Plaka (shopping) areas stopping on the way to see the Temple of the Winds and the Agora plus a quick lunch. Had ample time to browse the wonderful shops and buy a copper pepper grinder to remind me of Greece. Then we took a taxi back to the Port where I did a bit more shopping before heading back to the ship (shuttle from Main Port Building to our ship)

Photos in the link below.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Kathy:)

There are some wonderful shops right below the Acropolis as well as some neat little restaurants to grab a bite to eat....... visit the Acropolis and then work your way down hitting some little stores and grab some lunch.

We took a private tour in each port. We had a group of 6-8 most days. This was the way to go for us. It is less expensive with 6-8 people then taking a ship excursion. It is more personalized, less rigorous (sp), and they can take you up closer then the large ship buses. You choose where you want to go and the driver knows the best time of day to hit the spots at the least busiest. You get more time this way, and they know when to leave Athens to get you back to the ship in plenty of time. If you have a smaller group use your roll call for your sailing and you can always find more people to fill up a van and you meet new friends!

I initially tried athenstaxi.com but they were booked and forwarded me to Nikolas Kambitsis. info@minibusservices.gr Nikolas' van is actually very roomy, I think we could have gotten 13-14 people on it but we had only 8. He was very knowledgable and considerate. One piece of advice, your ship docks and then you are supposed to take a shuttle to the terminal. We were told not to use the shuttle by our driver. When we got off the ship the Celebrity workers told us we had to take a shuttle (not true) our driver was just through the customs building waiting on us and then had to drive around to the terminal that was swamped with others from two more ships. Your ships people aren't always correct.

There are many ways to do Athens. One is to hire a driver, and this works pretty well. Another is to hire a driver and licensed guide and this is fine if pricey. Many people on this board have reported taking a taxi or the Metro with no problems. I think taxis in Greece are pretty reliable.

Once you get to Athens, I would suggest you start at the Acropoli station and walk the Antiquities Promenade. DH will get all the ancient history he can handle!!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html

But the good news is that right next to the Acropoli station is a nice little section called Plaka's Gate that will give you a chance to shop and enjoy the atmosphere before beginning the Promenade. If you reach the end of the Antiquities Promenade in time, it is very easy to take the metro to the Monastiriki Flea Market which is a shopper's paradise!

Have a GREAT cruise!

HI,

We did Athens on our own also. The train takes you right from the port to the Acropolis. There is only one train that goes there so you can't get lost. Unless things have changed, the ticket you get at the station has a picture of the Acropolis right on it. The Acropolis is the last stop. It is only 7 miles from Pireaus to Athens so there is no need to buy a tour. If you wanted to taxi back to the ship it shouldn't cost much money. Just get the price first

Something you may consider, there is a cable car that takes you to a higher point so you may see Athens. Will look up the name of it when I get home and let you know.

tltravelbugs

Hi

have a look at this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=958890

if necessary - I could post a few pictures - but it is very easy and cheap to use the metro.

You have to walk around the port until you reach Pier E6

b697z4lzzll6mfkyv.jpg

Than you should cross the street and use this bridge:

b6982vbrl3poznd9j.jpg

Now you are in front of the Metro-Station.

Buy a ticket (costs 0.80 €). You can´t miss the correct line - because every train goes to Monastiraki. (Line 1, 7 stops)

Leave the train - now you can see the first ancient ruins, go uphill (max 15 min). You can buy water bottles (ventding machines) in front and behind the ticket counter. Bottle of water is 0.50 Euro

Akropolis entrance fee ist 12 Euro.

Taxi from Piraeus to Akropolis cost something around 8 Euro (one way)

Wendy

Fafos,

I'm going to be in Athens on 26 September...is it true that entrance into the Acropolis and other museums are free this day for the European Heritage Days?

Yep, The last weekend of September annually (European Heritage Days):

http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/eh355.jsp?obj_id=2384

http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/1/eh155.jsp?obj_id=3249

Hi

Taxi from Piraeus to Akropolis cost something around 8 Euro (one way)

Wendy

We were just there in May....... taxi was quoted (many times) from ship to Acropolis at 25 euros. We took one back from the square right next to Monastraki station and paid 20 euros. No haggling on price either !

Hi

you were ripped off!

There is an Information at Piräus Port - HeinBloed made a picture in Sep 2007 (Hein - I post your picture - hope, it is OK)

MusPirTaxipreise-vi.jpg

There were the recommended Taxi-fares printed.

If you paid more.....

Wendy

Hi

you were ripped off!

There is an Information at Piräus Port - HeinBloed made a picture in Sep 2007 (Hein - I post your picture - hope, it is OK)

MusPirTaxipreise-vi.jpg

If you paid more.....

Wendy

No problem.

But just for orientation.

We are off of this problem... the sister of my hair dresser is taxi owner in Athens... My problems are solved...

Regards,

HeinBloed

These prices are very old... now prices are 50-60% over and some of these are a bit strange:cool:

for example... Omonia and National museum has the same price but museum is 1 mile far from Omonia!

I think a price 15-20 euro from port to Acropolis is a normal price..

I was going to say..... perhaps since these prices are 2 years old they do not apply anymore......but Fafos already posted that.

I can't think of too many things that are the same price they were 2 years ago...... with gas prices going haywire the way they did....... not surprised the price doubled.

We actually took the metro into town (very cheap) and a taxi back.....I didnt care what it cost to get back as I was not feeling very well at that point as I had a terrible head cold (along with 1/2 the ship !) and just wanted to get back to the ship, take a cold shower and some Nyquil :o

you were ripped off!...

If you paid more.....

Wendy

My goodness. You paid thousands of dollars for this cruise, and thousands more for the air fare to get to it.

You got a taxi to one of the world's most beautiful and historical sights for a memory that will be with you forever.

And you are feeling ripped off over a few Euros??

Perspective.

My goodness. You paid thousands of dollars for this cruise, and thousands more for the air fare to get to it.

You got a taxi to one of the world's most beautiful and historical sights for a memory that will be with you forever.

And you are feeling ripped off over a few Euros??

Perspective.

Maybe you do not have a problem with your budget to afford every price they ask for.

If there is a chance to inform myself about local habits (incl. Greek taxi drivers and their way to treat tourists) I am happy to learn from everybody who can beware cruisers from such problems.

If you can afford to pay any price I feel happy for you but there are more who do not share your point of view.

Regards,

HeinBloed

If there is a chance to inform myself about local habits (incl. Greek taxi drivers and their way to treat tourists) I am happy to learn from everybody who can beware cruisers from such problems.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I agree that not all have unlimited funds when they travel.....

HOWEVER, please be sure that the information being posted (in this case a picture that was 2 years old) is correct.

NO information is better than the WRONG information IMO.

I agree that not all have unlimited funds when they travel.....

HOWEVER, please be sure that the information being posted (in this case a picture that was 2 years old) is correct.

NO information is better than the WRONG information IMO.

It's my picture but it's not my posting...

Another cruiser who knows that I have such a picture used it in her posting.

I know there is a more actual one in this forum. I did not posted my picuture for one year since I know that it's not actual anymore.

That's why I added "just for orientation".

What I am doing is:

everytime I am leaving the ship I take such a picture... Unfortunately we cancelled our this year's cruise to Piraeus.

It's helpful to argue with the driver if there is a trouble. And I would add a picture of the license number for the worst case.

Check also these websites:

http://www.greek-tourism.gr/attiki-athens/taxi.htm

http://www.gnto.gr/pages.php?pageID=794&langID=2

Do not hesitate to call the Tourist Police by calling 171 if you are in trouble:

http://www.gnto.gr/pages.php?pageID=23&langID=2

I would also maybe use the address of the Police Station

http://www.gnto.gr/pages.php?pageID=859&langID=2

so you can go immediately with the driver to the police station.

I am "lucky": My personal taxi experienced ended just on the wrong side of the street as the driver refused to drive to our hotel and asked us to use the subway.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived