Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

We are staying pre-cruise days in Stockholm this July on our Baltic's cruise. Can you recommend the most economic public transport to get from the Radisson Blu Waterfront to the Pier on Embarcation day. Bus, train etc.? we have been warned about unscrupulous taxi drivers in Stockholm.

Suggestions?

We are staying pre-cruise days in Stockholm this July on our Baltic's cruise. Can you recommend the most economic public transport to get from the Radisson Blu Waterfront to the Pier on Embarcation day. Bus, train etc.? we have been warned about unscrupulous taxi drivers in Stockholm.

Suggestions?

Walk from the hotel to point B (cityterminalen) or C on the map. From there go with Blue Bus #1 towards Frihamnen.

Get off at Frihamnen stop (end destination on the route).

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Nils+Ericsons+Plan&daddr=Kungsbron+to:Kungsgatan&hl=sv&ll=59.333735,18.05849&spn=0.001244,0.003699&sll=59.333957,18.057318&sspn=0.000622,0.001849&geocode=FVJPiQMd44ETAQ%3BFTNaiQMdyHwTAQ%3BFThdiQMdMogTAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=20&z=19

Looking at the bus route map, there should be a stop for bus #1 at both B and C but I am not sure.

Trip will take about 30 minutes.

Edited by Desdichado62

Hi, Our cruise ship will arrive Stockholm on Jul 7 (Sun) at 9am, and leave at 4pm. Since I am traveling with kids and eldery, I hope to have a laid-back day in Stockholm, say leaving the ship around 10:30am and back around 2pm.

I wanted to visit the Ice Bar (any drink for kids?), get some local food for lunch, and maybe canal tour/old town. Is it possible to do all these on our own, or we better off join NCL's excursion? Thanks!

Edited by wowmusic

Hi, Our cruise ship will arrive Stockholm on Jul 7 (Sun) at 9am, and leave at 4pm. Since I am traveling with kids and eldery, I hope to have a laid-back day in Stockholm, say leaving the ship around 10:30am and back around 2pm.

I wanted to visit the Ice Bar (any drink for kids?), get some local food for lunch, and maybe canal tour/old town. Is it possible to do all these on our own, or we better off join NCL's excursion? Thanks!

Yes it most certainly is.

Thanks, but how do we get to the Ice Bar on our own?

Is the Canal Tour, right besides the Cruise Terminal?

For connections from Frihamnen to the Icebar see:

http://reseplanerare.sl.se/bin/query.exe/sn?seqnr=2&ident=lk.02514055.1371667904&OK#focus

From Centralen walk the short distance (350m) to the Ice Bar.

Walking directions from Centralen/Vasagatan stop:

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Vasagatan&daddr=Vasaplan&hl=sv&ll=59.331515,18.058959&spn=0.003628,0.014795&sll=59.330388,18.059871&sspn=0.003628,0.014795&geocode=FfBOiQMd05ATAQ%3BFaJWiQMdc4UTAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=mrv&z=17

Walking directions from Centralen/Klarabergsviadkuten stop:

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Klarabergsviadukten&daddr=59.3316471,18.0567433+to:Vasaplan&hl=sv&ll=59.330792,18.057683&spn=0.002566,0.007398&sll=59.330784,18.057683&sspn=0.001291,0.003699&geocode=FR9RiQMdZ4YTAQ%3BFT9UiQMdJ4YTASkZGRTxYJ1fRjGc-95fBxjteg%3BFaJWiQMdc4UTAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=19&via=1&z=18

Have in mind that currently bus #76 do not run because of the ongoing strike.

Its hard to say if the strike will be over when you arrive.

From the ice bar to the sightseeing boats, either subway (1 stop) .

Blue Line to Kungsträdgården and walk from there (180m).

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Kungstr%C3%A4dg%C3%A5rden+T-bana,+111+47+Stockholm+(Kungstr%C3%A4dg%C3%A5rden+T-bana)&daddr=59.3303798,18.073014+to:S%C3%B6dra+Blasieholmshamnen&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&sll=59.330158,18.074013&sspn=0.002566,0.007398&geocode=FeBQiQMdzsYTASlrDixvWZ1fRjEC25W1-DULyA%3BFUtPiQMdtsUTASkTweASWZ1fRjERIZ8LgBpEYA%3BFVZMiQMdFskTAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=18&via=1&z=17

Or you could go by bus:

Bus #65 from Centralen to Karl XII:s torg which is just next to where the sightseeing boats depart (Strömkajen)

From the sightseeing boats back to the ship:

Either go with Bus #76 (if it runs) from Karl XII:s torg or from Nybroplan.

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=S%C3%B6dra+Blasieholmshamnen&daddr=Nybroplan,+Stockholm&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.331296,18.07339&spn=0.007257,0.02959&sll=59.330678,18.074559&sspn=0.003628,0.014795&geocode=FXpMiQMdgMoTAQ%3BFeNXiQMdodMTASktQFO0W51fRjFhdDJf0Bmiqw&oq=Nybropl&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=17&z=16

Or search your own connection:

http://reseplanerare.sl.se/bin/query.exe/sn?seqnr=1&ident=du.01912755.1371670394&OK#focus

Be aware that you need to buy bus tickets before you board the bus.

At Frihamnen SL have a ticket kiosk somewhere (I don't know where)

At Centralen tickets can be bought at Pressbyrån at the entrance floor of the central station.

Just use the main entrance and across the main hall.:

http://arskortguldsj.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/dsc04094.jpg

At Nybroplan tickets can be bought at 7-eleven:

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Stockholm+Str%C3%B6mkajen&daddr=59.3313106,18.0764934+to:Birger+Jarlsgatan+2,+Stockholm&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.332995,18.076058&spn=0.000456,0.001849&sll=59.33082,18.077316&sspn=0.003628,0.014795&geocode=FalKiQMdLc8TASlBKKO6WZ1fRjEM6UevF1I0fQ%3BFe5SiQMdTdMTASlngIUpWp1fRjF0uT9IWYuKZQ%3BFUNbiQMdO9ATASmJFcXFQp1fRjHtU3NI40zsgA&oq=Birger+Jarlsgatan+2&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=17&via=1&z=20&layer=c&cbll=59.332995,18.076058&panoid=D2xM8iMQ6wThtmqpgNMPkA&cbp=12,12.94,,0,-1.09

Edited by Desdichado62

We got off the Emerald Princess at 7 AM and the HOHO boat was already there waiting. Although we did use it and choose to walk the whole city in 6 hours instead.

Do I understand from your post that you walked from the cruise pier into town and also the VASA museum? Was your ship docked at Frihammen? Thanks!

Do I understand from your post that you walked from the cruise pier into town and also the VASA museum? Was your ship docked at Frihammen? Thanks!

I would say that cruise_alot123 docked at Stadsgården due to the reference to the hoHo boats.

There no HoHo boats at Frihamnen, only at Stadsgårdskajen.

Hoping for some advice. Wanting to visit Vasa, Gamla Stan, and the downtown area near the Hard Rock Cafe?

Is this do-able when boat docks at 8 in Frihammen and leaves at 4? I'm understanding bus 76 gets us from the port area to Vasa and we can take a ferry to Gamla Stan. What would be best to get us to Hard Rock Cafe area and back to boat?

Thanks for any help.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hoping for some advice. Wanting to visit Vasa, Gamla Stan, and the downtown area near the Hard Rock Cafe?

Is this do-able when boat docks at 8 in Frihammen and leaves at 4? I'm understanding bus 76 gets us from the port area to Vasa and we can take a ferry to Gamla Stan.

What would be best to get us to Hard Rock Cafe area and back to boat?

Thanks for any help.

First i need to know where you dock. You mentioned Bus #76 so I assume that you are docking at Frihamnen then?

From Gamla Stan, go to stop Slottsbacken

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=Slottsbacken,+111+30+Stockholm,+Stockholms+l%C3%A4n&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.325878,18.075541&spn=0.001283,0.003699&sll=59.326141,18.074892&sspn=0.007258,0.02959&oq=Slottsbacken,+111+30+Stockholm,+Stockholms+l%C3%A4n&t=h&geocode=Fbw-iQMdFM0TAQ&hnear=Slottsbacken&z=19&layer=c&cbll=59.325878,18.07554&panoid=EJplEq6cm8oxvEe4zVKv2g&cbp=12,327.76,,1,-1.67

and from there go with Blue Bus #2 Towards Norrtull. Get off at Stadsbiblioteket stop.

Go across the Street (Sveavägen) and goto the left. The café is on you right side after 50m.

The bus stop is to the left in this view and the cafe is at (A):

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=Hard+Rock+Cafe,+Sveav%C3%A4gen,+Stockholm&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.343443,18.056159&spn=0.007254,0.02959&sll=59.344438,18.055134&sspn=0.003627,0.014795&oq=Hard&t=h&hq=Hard+Rock+Cafe,&hnear=Sveav%C3%A4gen,+Stockholm,+Stockholms+l%C3%A4n&z=16&layer=c&cbll=59.344631,18.054927&panoid=b4Gu2eKgsDkr9bFQke3fwg&cbp=12,139.85,,0,3.59

From the café to the ship, it depends on which day of the week you arrive.

Search connections using these parameters:

http://reseplanerare.sl.se/bin/query.exe/sn?seqnr=1&ident=ij.01321355.1371728670&OK#focus

If it indicate a change at Frihamsporten, you could rather walk the final 500m then going the same distance with a bus.

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Tegeluddsgatan&daddr=Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&sll=59.341265,18.122656&sspn=0.007254,0.02959&geocode=FcR2iQMdq2YUAQ%3BFdmAiQMdcHoUAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=16&z=16

Time wise its doable but it mostly depends on how thorough you want to be.

Expect at least 1 hour at Wasa, some 30-40 minutes getting from Wasa to Gamla Stan, 15-20 minutes

from Gamla Stan to the Café and maybe some 25-30 minutes from the café back to the ship.

Edited by Desdichado62

I just read that the bus drivers went on strike in Stockholm. I hope it doesn't last long. We'll be there soon.

I pre-paid a STOCKHOLM Card for 48 hrs on the basis that I would have convenient transportation.

They will not offer any adjustment, although I anticipate having to use taxis Sunday morning to make sure we are not late for embarkation.

THey told me to look at the transportation map and find a substitution. Ha!

Bus 76 would have made a nice simple direct route Sunday from our Hotel on Gamla stan to Vasa, back to the hotel for our luggage and bus 76 again to Frihamnen.

There just is no simple replacement with public transportation.

I hope they resolve this quickly too.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a question for the Stockholm experts...

I'm in Stockholm in a couple of weeks on the Crown Princess which will dock at Berth: S167 STADSGÅRDEN.

Due to a recent mis-hap, I'm on crutches with a broken foot and while I hope to be well on my way to being more mobile by then, I'm planning for the worst case which would be still using crutches to move about. Therefore, I want to limit any walking distances.

The key things we want to see are (in this order)

- Vasa Museum (morning)

- Ice Bar (have reservation for lunch)

- Old Town (afternoon - I may sit on a patio while the GF shops)

I'm considering the HOHO bus for the convenience and the fact it stops at all of these (and will drive by other key points of interest too). The only issue with it is the price is rather steep at 260 SEK for just 3 essential stops.

The other option is the HOHO boats (120 SEK), but they don't serve the Ice Bar area, which would require a taxi to/from the dock (no idea how much that would add). The other issue with the HOHO boats is the added challenge of getting on/off with crutches. Any thoughts on this option?

Lastly, I could just use a taxi from A to B to C and back. But I have no idea how the price of that would compare to using the HOHO. If it's similar or more expensive, than the HOHO offers the added scenery. If it's less, than it may be a better option that's more direct and convenient.

Any suggestions?

I could just use a taxi from A to B to C and back. But I have no idea how the price of that would compare to using the HOHO. Any suggestions?

Be VERY cautious re. Stockholm taxis. They are not regulated. We required police intervention after ride from cruise terminal to the airport...

Be VERY cautious re. Stockholm taxis. They are not regulated. We required police intervention after ride from cruise terminal to the airport...

Wow... ok, thanks for that. I generally avoid taxis due to trust issues but some jurisdictions are better than others. I guess Stockholm is not one of them.

I ended a cruise on June 22 in Stockholm. Two very sweet ladies I met on board had a nasty incident with a taxi driver who tried to cheat them, then drove off with one lady's carry-on bag when they challenged him. As far as I know, the bag wasn't recovered. I hope this isn't representative of Stockholm taxi drivers, but now I'm starting to wonder . . .

Hi,

The important thing is to choose one of the bigger Taxi companies. Taxi Stockholm, Taxi Kurir or Taxi 020. They are all legit. At the cruise terminal these are the ones closes to to the sidewalk. There are fixed prices to the Airport. Besides the fixed price there's a terminal fee of, I think, 21 SEK. That is the cost the cruise terminal take out from the driver for pick ups.

If there's ANY problem call their customer service and they will help you solve your problem. The biggest problem is that there are many other taxis that try to look similar to Taxi Stockholm. Like Taxi in Stockholm etc, etc. Be sure you know which one you jump into. If not, ask someone.

Hi,

The important thing is to choose one of the bigger Taxi companies. Taxi Stockholm, Taxi Kurir or Taxi 020. They are all legit. At the cruise terminal these are the ones closes to to the sidewalk. There are fixed prices to the Airport. Besides the fixed price there's a terminal fee of, I think, 21 SEK. That is the cost the cruise terminal take out from the driver for pick ups.

If there's ANY problem call their customer service and they will help you solve your problem. The biggest problem is that there are many other taxis that try to look similar to Taxi Stockholm. Like Taxi in Stockholm etc, etc. Be sure you know which one you jump into. If not, ask someone.

In addition to this all Swedish taxi's are required to use yellow license plates so if it does not have a yellow plate its not legit.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a7/Swedish_license_plate_for_Taxis.jpg/250px-Swedish_license_plate_for_Taxis.jpg

We booked in advance by email with Taxi Stockholm for our Copenhagen to Stockholm cruise in June 2011, specifying a particular time for pick-up to take us to our hotel for our four-day post-cruise stay in this wonderful city.

We were very glad we did so when we emerged from the terminal and saw a line of about 70 people waiting for taxis. Our reserved taxi pulled up right on time, and off we went.

I could use some validation or suggestions of my latest Stockholm plan...

I want to see the Vasa Museum in the morning. It opens at 8:30 before any shops etc. and this way I can hopefully beat the crowds.

I have a 12:45 booking at the IceBar near the central station. As a general rule, I avoid drinking heavily before noon, so this works :p

We can then spend the rest of the afternoon wandering around old town.

Now for transportation options that minimize walking (as I may still be on crutches)...

The HOHO boats seem to run in a clockwise direction which just isn't going to work for my itinerary. Plus they can't get me that close to the IceBar anyway. However, at least one of the HOHO boat companies offers early morning direct service to the Vasa museum from the pier for 40Kr. That seems like a no brainer for that leg of the tour.

Tram #7 seems to run from outside the Vasa to central Stockholm getting me to within a few blocks of the IceBar. That seems like a logical choice for that leg.

The Metro seems to run from central Stockholm to Old Town. Again, a natural choice for that leg.

That leaves getting from Old Town back to the ship at the Viking pier... any suggestions? Does anyone know if Princess offers a shuttle service? Otherwise a Taxi may be the final leg.

Any suggestions are welcome.

I could use some validation or suggestions of my latest Stockholm plan...

I want to see the Vasa Museum in the morning. It opens at 8:30 before any shops etc. and this way I can hopefully beat the crowds.

I have a 12:45 booking at the IceBar near the central station. As a general rule, I avoid drinking heavily before noon, so this works :p

We can then spend the rest of the afternoon wandering around old town.

Now for transportation options that minimize walking (as I may still be on crutches)...

The HOHO boats seem to run in a clockwise direction which just isn't going to work for my itinerary. Plus they can't get me that close to the IceBar anyway. However, at least one of the HOHO boat companies offers early morning direct service to the Vasa museum from the pier for 40Kr. That seems like a no brainer for that leg of the tour.

Tram #7 seems to run from outside the Vasa to central Stockholm getting me to within a few blocks of the IceBar. That seems like a logical choice for that leg.

The Metro seems to run from central Stockholm to Old Town. Again, a natural choice for that leg.

That leaves getting from Old Town back to the ship at the Viking pier... any suggestions? Does anyone know if Princess offers a shuttle service? Otherwise a Taxi may be the final leg.

Any suggestions are welcome.

We went to Vasa early last Sunday to avoid the crowds. We couldn't wake up early enough, and only got there at 9:30am. There were still no crowds. When we left the museum after 11 am , the lines were getting pretty long. So early is definitely good.

Tram 7 comes very frequently so that should work for you.

Where does your boat dock? If it docks at Frihamnen you could catch Bus 76 which runs along the East side on Gamla Stan and shares a route wth Tam 7 and then goes out to Frihamnen.

The bus stops display maps and show the number of minutes before certain busses will arrive. I really liked knowing that bus 76 wold be there in 11 minutes, for example.

We went to Vasa early last Sunday to avoid the crowds. We couldn't wake up early enough, and only got there at 9:30am. There were still no crowds. When we left the museum after 11 am , the lines were getting pretty long. So early is definitely good.

Tram 7 comes very frequently so that should work for you.

Where does your boat dock? If it docks at Frihamnen you could catch Bus 76 which runs along the East side on Gamla Stan and shares a route wth Tam 7 and then goes out to Frihamnen.

The bus stops display maps and show the number of minutes before certain busses will arrive. I really liked knowing that bus 76 wold be there in 11 minutes, for example.

Thanks. We're at the pier on the south side of the bay... Viking Terminal?

Thanks. We're at the pier on the south side of the bay... Viking Terminal?

yeah Stadsgården quay.

As for the leg between the Ice Bar and Gamla Stan, bus is also an option

the same goes for the journey back to the ship.

For the latter go with either Blue Bus #2 or bus #55 from Slottsbacken towards Sofia get off at Slussen terminal.

From Slussen there are several options. Some of the options are buses:

#443 mot Jarlaberg, #413 towards Björknäs centrum, #409 towards Duvnäs utskog, #445 towards Insjön.

For all options get off at Londonviadukten, you can use journey planner to find connections: http://reseplanerare.sl.se/bin/query.exe/sn?seqnr=1&ident=1m.02903552.1373101435&OK#focus

Just remember that for buses you will need to purchase bus tickets before getting on the bus.

Search this thread for locations in Gamla Stan where you can buy bus tickets, at Centralen SL have a larger ticket shop on the lower floor.

For subway/ T-bana you can pay when entering the platform.

Edited by Desdichado62

yeah Stadsgården quay.

As for the leg between the Ice Bar and Gamla Stan, bus is also an option

the same goes for the journey back to the ship.

For the latter go with either Blue Bus #2 or bus #55 from Slottsbacken towards Sofia get off at Slussen terminal.

From Slussen there are several options. Some of the options are buses:

#443 mot Jarlaberg, #413 towards Björknäs centrum, #409 towards Duvnäs utskog, #445 towards Insjön.

For all options get off at Londonviadukten, you can use journey planner to find connections: http://reseplanerare.sl.se/bin/query.exe/sn?seqnr=1&ident=1m.02903552.1373101435&OK#focus

Just remember that for buses you will need to purchase bus tickets before getting on the bus.

Search this thread for locations in Gamla Stan where you can buy bus tickets, at Centralen SL have a larger ticket shop on the lower floor.

For subway/ T-bana you can pay when entering the platform.

Thanks... I hadn't considered public busses. I'll look into that also.