What do you pack for a Europe cruise?

kimmiekaz

What do you pack for an Europe cruise? Check all that apply.  

3,899 members have voted

1. 1. What do you pack for an Europe cruise? Check all that apply.

• Camera and memory cards to capture all of the memories
    • Electrical converter for small appliances
    • Translation books to speak key phrases in the languages of the countries you'll be visiting
    • Change purses for different currencies -- and a list of the currency conversions
    • Passport -- and backup photocopies of your passport
    • Toiletries you are brand-loyal to that may be hard to find abroad
    • Guidebooks that will give details about your European destinations
    • A credit card with low or no international fees
    • MP3 player/iPod for world tunes to get you in the mood for country-hopping
    • Comfortable shoes for all those cobblestones you'll be treading upon
    • For women, a shawl/light sweater and pants/skirt for visiting churches or monuments with dress codes
    • International phone cards or an international plan on your mobile phone to avoid hefty fees
    • Neck pillow, eye mask and ear plugs for sleeping on long flights
    • Other, I’ll explain below

I obviously stand corrected. We have traveled all over Europe for the past 15 years, usually in an apartment stay for several weeks at a time in one location, from large cities to small villages. We have also taken four European cruises. Never have we attempted to use US dollars-never even thought to try it. I guess one could always ask, but then what if the answer is negative and all you have is dollars?? At least if you have the local currency, you know that will be accepted.

But that's not the same as stating as fact that No One Accepts US$ when in actuality you never asked?

Small power strip with short cord. Most ships have only one electrical outlet available. This is extremely helpful when trying to get ready early in the morning and need more than one outlet.

There are a lot of good suggestions here. I also carry a couple of pair of lightweight socks in my purse. It sometimes gets a little chilly or the walking starts to take a toll on the feet. It is nice to put a pair of socks on to keep the chill off of your ankles in the early mornings or coming back in the afternoon, or if it happens to rain or just to put a bit of cushion between your feet and your shoes.

Travel toilet paper--European restrooms are not like ours.

Electrical converter--the ships usually have the right kind of plugs but hotels to and from do not. It's very hard to plug in a laptop without this.

List of prescription drugs from my doctor or pharmacist.

Baggies, quart and gallon size. These can be used to pack things in on the way and have many, many uses once you get where you are going.

I use the following list:

We now travel to enjoy. We do not pack formal wear. We are there to enjoy not impress. We have made many friends, but we don't want to waste luggage space that we can use for gifts for friends.

Make 2 copies of passports... give a copy of each to your spouse and carry them with you in your money belt! If one of you loses them... the other has a copy!

Also some Quick Tips:

(Pack some small items that come in handy)

Portable luggage scale (about $10)

Traveling alarm clock

Tide cleaning pens

Powdered Detergent to do washables.

European Power Adapters if staying overnight in Egypt or post/pre cruise.

Pack a couple of cheap extension cords and 3-in-1 adapters(never enough AC outlets to charge everything) (to be left behind)

Super Glue, Duct Tape & 2 part epoxy .... be prepared!

Ace Bandages, Pepto Bismo and medicine, extra reading glasses Magic Markers, pens.

We take 5 packs of rain ponchos from dollar store(2 for a $1) I gave them free to friends in Rome.... I could of paid for my cruise if I had a case of them (LOL)!

SD cards, batteries ( I even carry a second cheap digital camera and at least 1 SD per day.) If camera is stolen or lost, you only loose that 1 days pictures... not the entire cruise!

I number SD Cards 1-25 and have a sheet of paper with same numbers and a line so I can fill in where each SD card was used.

We pack a folding suitcase in each suitcase to put dirty clothes in and leave room for souvenirs.

Detergent in Zip Lock bags to do washables in room.

Pack several size Zip lock bags

I take a separate file folder with info about excursions, etc for each port. Later I empty pockets into them every day with receipts, tickets, postcards etc. from each port.

I also vacuum pack clothes (SpaceBags) and when we are ready to repack pack small shot glasses etc inside cloths and borrow maids vacuum and reduce to smaller size, and keeps in odors.

Take a list of addresses and contacts to send post cards and to call in case of emergency. Have neighbors and friends numbers in case they need to turn off alarm or other emergency. Pre-address postcards to save time and write on plane or during down time.

Take business cards or print personal cards with your contact info... easier than trying to find a piece of paper and pen to write your email and contact info for all your new friends!

I notify all Credit card companies with list of countries we are visiting!

Make sure you and spouse are taking credit cards with different numbers... if one is stolen and canceled (make photocopies) the others are still usable!

Take a unlocked quad band phone and buy a world sim card for it. Incoming calls are free in all ports except Egypt! We always use it on deck after re-boarding ship to call US... normally morning in US!

Outgoing calls are $0.35 per minute to US. (Give that number to friends and credit card companies in case of emergency.)

When returning, we dispose of ponchos, and other weight not valuable enough to return to US!

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcvxw97j_6gg4br7t5&hl=en

Always bring an umbrella and/or rain cover of some kind.

I always bring a light totebag to carry whatever I want off the ship and touring around. More room than a purse and less likely to lose it.

We always take a very small folding umbrella

I take a small SportSac lightweight purse, which I can carry under my coat in places where pickpockets are waiting

We take some sleepingpills to get over jetlag fast

In Europe they sell paper disposable face clothes

I travel extremely light and have been taking a carry-on on my last few cruises, this way the air line can't lose my luggage!

I find a Travel Smith jacket with a lot of pockets a "must" for any cruises, especially Europe. It folds up into a small little square and even has a hood. I often don't carry a purse, just fill my pockets and take off.

Marion

I always take a backpack - with essentials, plus a shirt, undies, to name just a few items, Too many times I have heard of getting there but luggage didn't... I also include a small shoulder bag to carry my travel umbrella, camera, and rain poncho, maps and city/port info.

Small power strip with short cord. Most ships have only one electrical outlet available. This is extremely helpful when trying to get ready early in the morning and need more than one outlet.

ABsolutely the best. My phone charger would not fit in the outlet (mirror above and counter below), so I wasn't able to charge my phone or my camera in that plug. The power strip is #1

This might be part "brand loyalty" but I really don't like the tissues (aka "kleenex") on board most ships so I bring some Puff Plus (lotion or aloe).

Celebrating 30 years of sailing . . .

Disney Wonder 2009

Granduer of the Seas 2009

Caribbean Princess 2008

Celebrity Century2007

Souvn. of the Seas 2006

Disney Magic 2002

Celebrity Zenith 1999

Majesty of the Seas 1996

Premier (BRB) Atlantic 1989

Premier (BRB) Majestic 1987

NCL Sunward II 1979

I use J-cloths cut in half as washcloths and then throw them away so that I needn't carry a wet cloth with me. I also have a bath brush for use aboard ship and leave it as I buy them at the $ store. and am fine with parting with them as I debark.

I also take a little hand mirror for seeing the ceilings without making my neck hurt.

Fran

How smart are you about the J-cloths .Thank you

I don't know what a J-cloth is or at least I don't know it by that name.

When traveling to Europe I either cut up an old towel that's seen its last days and then throw each "wash cloth" away after I've used it. Or I take some kind of handiwipes.

BRING the FOUR "B's"

I always travel with the "Four B's"

BUBBLEWRAP-It takes no room and protects treasured finds.;)

BAGGIES-To keep snacks, muffins, mini-sandwiches made from buffet etc in.:)

BACKPACK-For when removing layers of clothing and carrying items my bride has so graciously procured from local merchants.:rolleyes:

BRIDE-Self explanatory:D

Dick:cool:

We try to get a small amount of the local currency for each country we plan to visit prior to our departure from the US, usually the equivalent of $50 -$100, depending on how long your stay is and what you plan to do. Easy to order from a local (major) bank for just a small fee. Just label and put in small, sealed envelopes. Saves time trying to find an ATM in port, and in some countries we found the ATM instructions were in the local language. Ever try to withdraw money in Greek?? Also one cannot always count on the ship to be able to change money, or want to stand in the the long lines at the purser's office if they do. For first time European cruisers, NO ONE in Europe accepts US dollars, except maybe at some of the duty free shops in the airport. We witnessed an incident in Athens not long ago when several American ladies ordered ice cream from a street vendor-they tried to pay for them in dollars-they were refused and had to return their ice cream. They were furious, but obviously ill prepared.

What weird people! Not sure why they should be furious. Can you buy things in the USA with Euros? Don't think so.

Sun tan lotion (Factor 30 and above), that you only need to apply once a day. Saves weight and money. It's really expensive in many countries in Europe if you run out and have to buy more high factor sun cream.

Mozzie spray for when you're off ship.

Plenty of Euros. You can use them in so many countries now, even in the UK a lot of shops take them.

Lots of great suggestions here but the mind boggles and I have to ask, what's the Super Glue for?

I use the following list:

We now travel to enjoy. We do not pack formal wear. We are there to enjoy not impress. We have made many friends, but we don't want to waste luggage space that we can use for gifts for friends.

Make 2 copies of passports... give a copy of each to your spouse and carry them with you in your money belt! If one of you loses them... the other has a copy!

Also some Quick Tips:

(Pack some small items that come in handy)

Portable luggage scale (about $10)

Traveling alarm clock

Tide cleaning pens

Powdered Detergent to do washables.

European Power Adapters if staying overnight in Egypt or post/pre cruise.

Pack a couple of cheap extension cords and 3-in-1 adapters(never enough AC outlets to charge everything) (to be left behind)

Super Glue, Duct Tape & 2 part epoxy .... be prepared!

Ace Bandages, Pepto Bismo and medicine, extra reading glasses Magic Markers, pens.

We take 5 packs of rain ponchos from dollar store(2 for a $1) I gave them free to friends in Rome.... I could of paid for my cruise if I had a case of them (LOL)!

SD cards, batteries ( I even carry a second cheap digital camera and at least 1 SD per day.) If camera is stolen or lost, you only loose that 1 days pictures... not the entire cruise!

I number SD Cards 1-25 and have a sheet of paper with same numbers and a line so I can fill in where each SD card was used.

We pack a folding suitcase in each suitcase to put dirty clothes in and leave room for souvenirs.

Detergent in Zip Lock bags to do washables in room.

Pack several size Zip lock bags

I take a separate file folder with info about excursions, etc for each port. Later I empty pockets into them every day with receipts, tickets, postcards etc. from each port.

I also vacuum pack clothes (SpaceBags) and when we are ready to repack pack small shot glasses etc inside cloths and borrow maids vacuum and reduce to smaller size, and keeps in odors.

Take a list of addresses and contacts to send post cards and to call in case of emergency. Have neighbors and friends numbers in case they need to turn off alarm or other emergency. Pre-address postcards to save time and write on plane or during down time.

Take business cards or print personal cards with your contact info... easier than trying to find a piece of paper and pen to write your email and contact info for all your new friends!

I notify all Credit card companies with list of countries we are visiting!

Make sure you and spouse are taking credit cards with different numbers... if one is stolen and canceled (make photocopies) the others are still usable!

Take a unlocked quad band phone and buy a world sim card for it. Incoming calls are free in all ports except Egypt! We always use it on deck after re-boarding ship to call US... normally morning in US!

Outgoing calls are $0.35 per minute to US. (Give that number to friends and credit card companies in case of emergency.)

When returning, we dispose of ponchos, and other weight not valuable enough to return to US!

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcvxw97j_6gg4br7t5&hl=en

Not too sure where you folks are staying but if the hotel doesn't have faceclothes, you need to upgrade. We have travelled all over France, Italy, Greece and Spain and have always had faceclothes in the bathroom. In fact, the faceclothes in the hotel in Paris (Hotel Lotti) were wrapped in plastic?!?

Anyway, we buy all new underware and socks. The cheapest packs we can find. We wear once, then toss. All that room that was taken up by undies and socks is now room for souvenirs!

n710620870_2022985_5782.jpg

Well broken in comfortable walking shoes and an umbrella rain or shine--my umbrella was most coveted by onlookers when we were in Pompeii and in line at most places in the Mediterranean. You won't believe how much cooler you feel underneath an umbrella especially when there is no shade around.

Archived