What do you pack for a Europe cruise?

kimmiekaz

What do you pack for an Europe cruise? Check all that apply.  

3,899 members have voted

1. 1. What do you pack for an Europe cruise? Check all that apply.

• Camera and memory cards to capture all of the memories
    • Electrical converter for small appliances
    • Translation books to speak key phrases in the languages of the countries you'll be visiting
    • Change purses for different currencies -- and a list of the currency conversions
    • Passport -- and backup photocopies of your passport
    • Toiletries you are brand-loyal to that may be hard to find abroad
    • Guidebooks that will give details about your European destinations
    • A credit card with low or no international fees
    • MP3 player/iPod for world tunes to get you in the mood for country-hopping
    • Comfortable shoes for all those cobblestones you'll be treading upon
    • For women, a shawl/light sweater and pants/skirt for visiting churches or monuments with dress codes
    • International phone cards or an international plan on your mobile phone to avoid hefty fees
    • Neck pillow, eye mask and ear plugs for sleeping on long flights
    • Other, I’ll explain below

Europe is packed with sights to see and things to do. Because the itineraries are often very port-intensive, it's important to be prepared with everything you'll need ashore. So when it comes to packing for your overseas journey, we want to know what necessities top your list. We've come up with a roundup of items we think are pretty important to tote along on a Europe cruise. Which of these are most important to you? Check all that apply -- and if we've missed anything, tell us about it below!

Kim Kazell

Assistant Editor

Yep, face cloths come in handy especially if you are staying in a hotel pre or post cruise. They don't furnish them in Europe.

And, it is wise to take a few Euros with you before you get to a foreign country. You never know if you will need them or not, but be prepaired just in case.

Marilyn

We try to get a small amount of the local currency for each country we plan to visit prior to our departure from the US, usually the equivalent of $50 -$100, depending on how long your stay is and what you plan to do. Easy to order from a local (major) bank for just a small fee. Just label and put in small, sealed envelopes. Saves time trying to find an ATM in port, and in some countries we found the ATM instructions were in the local language. Ever try to withdraw money in Greek?? Also one cannot always count on the ship to be able to change money, or want to stand in the the long lines at the purser's office if they do. For first time European cruisers, NO ONE in Europe accepts US dollars, except maybe at some of the duty free shops in the airport. We witnessed an incident in Athens not long ago when several American ladies ordered ice cream from a street vendor-they tried to pay for them in dollars-they were refused and had to return their ice cream. They were furious, but obviously ill prepared.

We try to get a small amount of the local currency for each country we plan to visit prior to our departure from the US, usually the equivalent of $50 -$100, depending on how long your stay is and what you plan to do. Easy to order from a local (major) bank for just a small fee. Just label and put in small, sealed envelopes. Saves time trying to find an ATM in port, and in some countries we found the ATM instructions were in the local language. Ever try to withdraw money in Greek?? Also one cannot always count on the ship to be able to change money, or want to stand in the the long lines at the purser's office if they do. For first time European cruisers, NO ONE in Europe accepts US dollars, except maybe at some of the duty free shops in the airport. We witnessed an incident in Athens not long ago when several American ladies ordered ice cream from a street vendor-they tried to pay for them in dollars-they were refused and had to return their ice cream. They were furious, but obviously ill prepared.

Sorry, but that statement is incorrect. We were in Poland last summer and I paid for coffee and pastry in a local bakery with U.S. dollars. Also in Estonia, paid for items in the supermarket with U.S. dollars. Same thing in Greenland, where the currency is Danish Kroner. We had some left over from Copenhagen, but paid the balance in ........... you got it.......U.S. dollars.

I use J-cloths cut in half as washcloths and then throw them away so that I needn't carry a wet cloth with me. I also have a bath brush for use aboard ship and leave it as I buy them at the $ store. and am fine with parting with them as I debark.

I also take a little hand mirror for seeing the ceilings without making my neck hurt.

Fran

I obviously stand corrected. We have traveled all over Europe for the past 15 years, usually in an apartment stay for several weeks at a time in one location, from large cities to small villages. We have also taken four European cruises. Never have we attempted to use US dollars-never even thought to try it. I guess one could always ask, but then what if the answer is negative and all you have is dollars?? At least if you have the local currency, you know that will be accepted.

I also travel with a "white noise machine"-not to use on the flight, but to use in hotel rooms and cruise ships. It came from the Sharper Image-I think they went out of business, but I am sure someone else sells them. It sits on the bedside, uses batteries for traveling,(also has a plug) has a clock, alarm, radio, and is only about 4x6x1 inches in size. Very light weight without the batteries (4 AA) . Also has a travel case. I take it everywhere away from home. Really drowns out all the outside noise. Cost around $50.

I obviously stand corrected. We have traveled all over Europe for the past 15 years, usually in an apartment stay for several weeks at a time in one location, from large cities to small villages. We have also taken four European cruises. Never have we attempted to use US dollars-never even thought to try it. I guess one could always ask, but then what if the answer is negative and all you have is dollars?? At least if you have the local currency, you know that will be accepted.

Then is goes on my credit card or I do without. I've travelled all over Europe too for far more than 15 years and if I'm in a country for any appreciable amount of time then yes, I do have local currency. OTOH, if I'm getting off for a day in port, no.....I do not bother.

Add a pack of antibacterial handwipes for freshening up before or after eating. Also, a flat, small purse that fits close to the body. I'd nix the I-pod/MP3 player; they act as a screen between you and the new experiences you are having! Plus, they are (I'm told by the natives) targets for theft in Europe.

Travelers should be aware that frequently many small shops and restaurants in Europe do not accept credit cards, especially if one likes to get off the beaten path and out of the main tourist areas like we often do. Not certain that the many street kiosks from which most tourists purchase postcards, souveniers or newspapers would accept them either, but again I have always had the local currency. We have never attempted to use dollars or a credit card to pay for or tip a taxi driver in Europe either- Certainly worth checking out in advance before heading off the ship with only dollars and a credit card in your pocket and hoping to snag a local taxi for transportation or sightseeing.

PacSafe backpack; insulated water bottle, Small umbrella (good for rain & sun), copy of cruise insurance. We did private tours in every port & most required euros at the end of the tour. Take lots of euros; it is a pain to try & find atms everywhere & be able to understand them (or what rate they are charging). If we had to do over, we would have the euros before we left. Understand, we were paying for 4 people & most atms would only allow you to take out 300E - 350E in a day which was not always enough.

Extra camera battery and charger. Carrier for water bottle that fits on belt. Roll of 3M scotch mailing tape with embedded fibers. Zip lock bags for wet bathing suits, etc. First aid kit. Small packs of Kleenex to use in paperless bathrooms. Travel vest with many pockets (this is probably the handiest item in the suitcase).

Archived