**What Shape is the SUN in?**

DeRon

Scott,

I have a great idea...let's call a truce! :) You ARE correct! I did post the same question aout the Century, and thankfully I did! I got some great feedback on things that would bother ME. ME! Not YOU!!! I know, I must be a weirdo, but they woudl bother ME. Only ME.

Now I am looking at another cruise at the same time. I know, it will not be perfect and there will be somethings on the ship that are not pristine. But, I took a cruise once (Viking) without talking to anyone. I was so sorry I didn't ask some questions first. No matter what, once we are on the ship we will have a BLAST (like we always have)! It's not even my style to complain on a cruise. I, like you, get tired of hearing complaints from people while on a ship. We are just trying to make a good decisions.

So, thank God we live in a free country, where we can read posts and make decisions where we want to go and what ships we want to sail. If you think I am too whatever, I am sorry to offend you. And I do mean that sincerely. :o I just can't figure out (why on both boards) people would care about what I am deciding. But I will stop wondering this.

Scott, you are probably right. I am probably too picky about silly things.

Sorry for anything I have said in frustration to get everyone all worked up. Please forgive me.

TRUCE! And have a MERRY CHRISTMAS! :)

Regarding the smell, I definitely noticed a funny, sewage-esque smell emanating throughout the public areas when we boarded Sun Princess in 2000 for a Panama Canal cruise out of Costa Rica. It came along with pockets of hot air as well, but went away after the first day or so of the cruise. The desk chair in our stateroom had a lovely brown stain all over the cushion, one part of the wall was dented in and shredded from who knows what, and there were some stains in the carpet. Could she have been in better condition? Sure. Was it terrible? No. Was it acceptable? I like to think not. But the bottom line is that, as so many others have said on this thread, ships undergo tremendous amounts of wear and tear week-in and week-out. It's to be expected. Then again, issues such as these should be attended to without delay, in my opinion. The stains on our carpet/chair never disappeared throughout the voyage, but I never complained.

DeRon - I understand what you are saying, and I think you are making a wise decision in picking a newer ship if the ship condition is that important to you. But any ship, even after only a few weeks in service, can have these issues.

[quote name='DeRon']Scott,

I have a great idea...let's call a truce! :) You ARE correct! I did post the same question aout the Century, and thankfully I did! I got some great feedback on things that would bother ME. ME! Not YOU!!! I know, I must be a weirdo, but they woudl bother ME. Only ME.

Now I am looking at another cruise at the same time. I know, it will not be perfect and there will be somethings on the ship that are not pristine. But, I took a cruise once (Viking) without talking to anyone. I was so sorry I didn't ask some questions first. No matter what, once we are on the ship we will have a BLAST (like we always have)! It's not even my style to complain on a cruise. I, like you, get tired of hearing complaints from people while on a ship. We are just trying to make a good decisions.

So, thank God we live in a free country, where we can read posts and make decisions where we want to go and what ships we want to sail. If you think I am too whatever, I am sorry to offend you. And I do mean that sincerely. :o I just can't figure out (why on both boards) people would care about what I am deciding. But I will stop wondering this.

Scott, you are probably right. I am probably too picky about silly things.

Sorry for anything I have said in frustration to get everyone all worked up. Please forgive me.

TRUCE! And have a MERRY CHRISTMAS! :)[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

Merry Christmas.

Scott

ldoc31,

Too bad about the whiners,this seems to be a trend lately and can get old real quick.It seems these people take pleasure in spreading their displeasure among others.I have no time for this BS and just walk away.This is MY vacation which I have planned long and hard for.I'm here to have a GREAT time and only want to be around like-minded,happy people.

That aside,please let us all know about your cruise.I'll be on the Sun 1/28 and would be interested if you did PC dining (like us) or traditional,what you thought of the food and what excursions you did.

DeRon,

It sounds like you should stick to newer ships.I have been on 3 Princess cruises (Sea,Ocean,&Star) and one RCL (NOS),and I can honestly say,I've never seen these type of problems that were mentioned on this thread.It isn't that I'm not observant either,quite the opposite.As spongerob and others have stated,a cruise is what you make of it and I'm not certain of you,but I plan and expend far to much effort and energy into these vacations NOT to have anything less than a FANTASTIC time and I'm sure if you find the right ship and go with the same approach,you will have a great time as well.

Happy Holidays everyone...

[quote name='Eddie4Paws'] However, preconceived ideas being what they are, and I guess it is nature to look for any problems. If you are expecting them, then by all means, cruise another ship where you will go with a positive mind and enjoy your vacation.[/QUOTE][font=Comic Sans MS]I totally agree with this post – if someone is set to be unhappy with a cruise experience, more than likely they will be. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]I[/font][font=Comic Sans MS] find myself defending Sun Princess quite a bit…for some reason she’s got a bad reputation that she doesn’t deserve. I’m all about DeRon’s freedom to choose what the best ship for his or her cruise is. But like the others, what I don’t understand is why when the response to the original question is overwhelmingly positive, a decision not to choose this ship is made on one negative posting – which didn’t really address the concerns expressed in the original post. It’s obvious to me that the original poster was looking for a negative report on Sun Princess to back up the preconceived ideas. To get the most happiness out of their vacation dollar, they need to choose another ship.[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]Again, I would suggest the original poster look for another cruise line. Sun Princess is representative of all of the ships in the Princess fleet – she’s not cared for any more or any less. If something posted here has tipped the scales against her, I would say it would against the rest of the fleet as well. As ‘rob said, say 3 [/font][font=Comic Sans MS]Caribbean[/font][font=Comic Sans MS] Princess had a stain. And as I indicated, one month after the original poster was on Grand Princess, I was there and there was a stain on my cabin carpet. [/font]

We also are thinking about going on the Sun and had some of the same concerns with her age etc. In my opinion the Sun seems to get pretty awesome reviews and we will probably give her a shot. We have only been on much larger ships so many of our concerns stemmed from that. As far as SWM54's negative comments....They seem to be those of a disgruntled passenger who paid way to much and is most likely the type who always finds a problem with everything. Seems a bit pretentious to me and maybe should have spent that $7000 on Radisson, Crystal or one of the other luxury lines. :D

We will be joining the Sun on 12/29/04 ( 4 days to go!!!) and I will post from the ship. Have been on the Sea and the Dawn so I can compare quite easily.

Merry Christmas to you all and a have a Happy New Year with lots of cruises!

Julie

[quote name='bphawk64']..... In my opinion the Sun seems to get pretty awesome reviews and we will probably give her a shot. ..... :D[/QUOTE]
We just returned from a 10 dayer to the eastern Caribbean. I think you'll find the Sun to be in great shape. We had no complaints except the occasional whiff of garbage on deck 7 near the stern. Otherwise she is a great ship, and that problem has probably been corrected already.

We too were on the 12/12 sailing. The Sun was in fine shape for a ship her age.

Some points to note are:
1. The deck loungers do look worn, particularly the ones on Deck 7. The teak needs to be refinished and the cushions need to be cleaned or replaced.
2. They were painting the outside of the ship at every port.
3. The crew was cleaning, cleaning, cleaning - all the time. The only areas they missed were external windows on higher decks - like the Horizon Court. The windows seemed quite grimy like they hadn't been cleaned in a while. We had some rainy weather during our cruise, but it wouldn't cause that kind of buildup on the windows that quickly.
4. There was a disturbing sewage odour at the stern of the ship, particularly near the Vista Lounge - aft Deck 7. It was most noticeable in the elevator lobby.
5. They have hand cleaner for people to use prior to entering the Horizon Court. They also posted signs everywhere encouraging people to not reuse glasses, plates or cutlery - but rather take fresh ones when we wanted refills. We did not have any concerns about Norwalk during our cruise.

All in all, it was the "whiners" that Idoc31 spoke of that stand out more in my mind than the condition of the ship. I would take a ship in lesser condition than the Sun in exchange for fewer rude passengers to deal with.

Julieh,will look forward to your posts as we are boarding the Sun January 28th. Am expecting a less crowded feel then on the Golden from what I've been hearing.[quote name='julieh']We will be joining the Sun on 12/29/04 ( 4 days to go!!!) and I will post from the ship. Have been on the Sea and the Dawn so I can compare quite easily.

Merry Christmas to you all and a have a Happy New Year with lots of cruises!

Julie[/QUOTE]

Different strokes for different folks! Personally, I agree with everything that Scott has said. Of course there is nothing wrong with feeling like one prefers to go on a ship that does not have stains on furniture and carpets. I myself look deeper into what I enjoy from a cruise ship. Entertainment, food, safety etc. I also would not jump at deciding NOT to go on a ship because one or two folks say it has a lot of stains. I would look at the OVERALL comments of the ship. We have gone on 23 cruises and I have found negative things on EVERYONE of them, but they were extremely minor, not enough to stop me from going on one. Having fun on them is what my main goal is.

Good grief. Came in looking for info on the Sun, since I'll be onboard in Jan. 05 and had to wade through all the garbage in this thread! LOL

Glad to hear the Sun is in great shape (as I expected) and that she hasn't been relegated to the breakers for a few carpet stains....:roll eyes

Thanks for all the good info from everyone ....now who's going to take out the trash??? :D

• 2 months later...
We were on the Sun Princess 1/28/05 and had a terrible cruise. The smell in the hallways were awful and they had to replace a carpet in some of the rooms as the toilet overflowed due to malfunctioning of the system which kept us from going to Barbados. Quite a few passengers were also seasick as was I and had to get 2 shots. We did feel that the breakfast and lunch assistants were not to friendly and sometimes abrupt and we were always rushed through our meals. Also we did not know that the only time for a discount on having your laundry was when it was published on the patter. It cost me $27.00 to have 6 items laundered and when questioned them they were not nice at all.:eek: We have booked on the Coral Princess for the Panama Canal Cruise on February 3, 2006 and really looking forward to it.

We were on the Sun Princess 2/7/05, and it was in great shape. The food was the best both horizon court and the dining rooms. The entertainment was the best.

I do not understand why someone says, they had an awful time on a cruise and hated the ship and everything about it. I think these people just like to complain about everything in life, and expect everything to be Tip Top shape or perfect. Remember things good be worse than being on a cruise. You could be homeless, sick, hungry. Think about it people, and appreciate the things you have or can do in your life. And not just sit around and complain about them, shame on you!!!!!

Now I ask you, if you had over 2000 passagers on you everyday of the week for several years, I can tell you that you would not look as good as the Sun princess does!!! I think you need to cruise only on a perfect ship, with perfect people, and perfect food, Good Luck finding one!!!!!!

All ships show wear and tear on them no matter how old they are, you have to expect that. And if you can not except that, then please don't cruise and ruin the cruise for the rest of us.
Because thats what ruin's a cruise for me, people who love to complain about everything!! Get real and deal with it!!!!

Take a step back everyone and count your blessings in your life!!

Archived