Question about "Smart Elegant"

sgttami

Curious to know if the term "Smart Elegant" is a new term for formal.

My scenario: Got an invitation to my nephew's wedding which was previously discussed as being "a formal affair." The invitation stated "Smart Elegant" Female family members have already purchased gowns and the guys were planning on tuxes. Not a problem. I love the gown I bought!

The engagement party and bridal shower have taken place and they were on the upscale level. (The engagement party was like a wedding)

The wedding is at a posh country club, at 6:pm in September and no expense is spared. The invitations were almost too gorgeous to touch and I know they were VERY pricey.

My sister (who is also mother of the groom) questioned the "smart elegant". Her future daughter-in-law (now called Bridezilla..) told her.."google it"!!

SOOOO... we know it's a formal affair but when I "googled", smart elegant wasn't even close to formal.

Is the bride(zilla) going to be disaaponted if guests don't attend in formal attire?

Are we going to look like idiots in gowns and tuxes?

Or...is "smart elegant" a new term for formal wear?

Thanks for input...(as a snicker...I hope the marriage lasts longer than the reception!)

Pam

Well, "smart elegant" isn't really "formal"...although, if you wish to dress formally, you'll be ok. It's really to let those who don't KNOW how to dress "formally" out of their obligation to dress appropriately.

You will NOT look like idiots in your formalwear. The others may look "underdressed", but that's THEIR problem!

The "bridezilla" should have specified how she wanted her guests to look, if she really cared! Apparently she doesn't care...so do what you will!

I'm not sure what the exact definition of "smart-elegant" is, but I would imagine it's what you wear to most weddings unless the invitation specifies formal.

I think that wearing a gown to any wedding that is a little more upscale is more than appropriate. And I don't think being over-dressed at a wedding is a bad thing; hey, you'll just look extra special in pictures. :D I think a gown and/or tux will work perfectly, especially with the way you've described the upcoming wedding.

And maybe, just maybe, the bride didn't understand the idea of "Smart Elegant" when she made the invitations.

Ok, I Googled it and didn't get a clear answer. Maybe I should Google stupid elegant?

According to another thread, there is no clear definition of the word elegant in fashion. It's formal, semi-formal, smart casual, casual and I suppose come as you are sloppy.

So...I guess it's open to interpretation. I would interpret it to be dressy, but not necessarily formal gowns. The wedding party and parents can be much more dressy than the guests.

The last wedding I went to (it's been a couple years now) I was absolutely shocked at what guests were wearing and not just the men. Women wore polyester pants with floral T shirts, some men wore Aloha shirts and shorts. The funny part was, to me, the younger people dressed far more appropriately than many of the middle aged to seniors. I wore a nice dress, my husband wore a black suit. In our age category we were in the minority.

I think if your friends (guests) ask you to define it, I would just tell them to dress up for the occasion.

The Bridezilla apparently doesn't know what the proper attire is for a 6:00 p.m. wedding--it is formal and that is what I would wear. Smart Elegant is not even close to formal.:) Just a suggestion for a wedding gift--a book of etiquette--sounds like the bride could benefit from it!;)

The Bridezilla apparently doesn't know what the proper attire is for a 6:00 p.m. wedding--it is formal and that is what I would wear. Smart Elegant is not even close to formal.:) Just a suggestion for a wedding gift--a book of etiquette--sounds like the bride could benefit from it!;)

My thoughts exactly on the book of etiquette!!

I just can't figure out why she didn't say Formal Attire on the invitation when that's what it is supposed to be. Smart Elegant has us all confused..unless it's Bridezilla language for formal!! (lol)...That's why I thought it might be a new term for formal wear.

Thanks all for the input.

OK, I think it is time we do away with all the code words and phrases, and just spell it out for people. I know, that is not correct according to etiquette, but the vast majority don't follow etiquette rules anymore (excepting each and everyone of us here on the cruise fashions and beauty board, of course!)

For the 6:00 pm wedding, bridezilla should write: No jeans, men must be in suits, women in nice suits, nice dresses, but really cocktail dresses and evening gowns are preferred

Back to cruising: casual - well they do spell it out but anyway - no jeans, no t-shirts, no tank tops, no shorts, no flip flops - men must wear collared shirts (golf shirts are okay) with nice pants, women may wear nice capris or crop pants, nice dresses, sundresses, dinner suit, pantsuit or top and skirt maybe with a bit of sparkles or jewelling on the outfit

Formal night: Formal means formal you idiot! Well, anyway at the very least men should wear pants, dress shirt, and jacket; a great suit is preferred, and men are greatly encouraged to wear a tuxedo because all the women will swoon and think you look just like James Bond - take your pick - Sean Connery, George Lazenby (who?),Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, Daniel what's his name - and we all know the fringe benefits those guys got!

Women - this is your time to shine - wear that beautiful cocktail dress - feel like a movie star in your long, gorgeous gown - dress it up special in a flowy pants outfit - rock that LBD - and teeter totter on those outrageous stilettos!

Informal: What the heck does that mean? Just dress nice

• 3 weeks later...

ohhhh...they are in the "Smart Set"..that meant they belonged to the Yacht/Country Club, one or both were professionals, had a boat, played golf avidly, toured europe, went to Cuba or Mex riviera, had a housekeeper/cook, lunched out most everyday, 2x a week at the hairkeeper, had a "place at the lake", and played bridge. Those daze are gone, but actually in Clearwater, Fl, there was a ladies dress shop called the Smart Set, where all who was anyone shopped. As far as a nomenclature of dress code term...mmmm, not so sure!..But I dress for the occaision to suit it...just gimma a chance to play dress up!..I"m there

Archived