Passport question

sept10dsm

We have expired passports. Does anyone know if you have to bring them/return them when applying for a new passport? On an old application it states to submit an old/expired passport. I have read the new application and it just asks if you have ever had one. We really would like to keep our old passports. Thanks for any input on this!!!

You don't say which country you're from.

In Canada, we're allowed to have our old passports returned to us after applying for the new one. I don't know if this is the same for the US, but it probably is. You should either go into your local passport office and ask them, or google them on the web. They'll have all the answers (and updated application forms) online.

We have expired passports. Does anyone know if you have to bring them/return them when applying for a new passport? On an old application it states to submit an old/expired passport. I have read the new application and it just asks if you have ever had one. We really would like to keep our old passports. Thanks for any input on this!!!

they return them to you. It makes it easier only if they are expired less than five years as you can just mail them in with the application and the pictures without having to make a personal appearance.

renewal rules

Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application

Was issued when you were age 16 or older

Was issued within the last 15 years

Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change

When they send them back they will have cancelled through the entire passport.

So you can either

1. use the renewal and send them in

2. apply for a new passport- just not including them or using them for id when you go down to where ever you make your personal appearance with other forms of id and birth certificate and keep them and NOT use them.

Thank you both!! I'm from the US. I was just wondering since on an old application for a US passport it stated that you had to submit it if you had it yet. I really wanted to keep it since I have cancellations from countries no longer existing. I did finally get through to someone at the post office and they said that you do not have to bring it in any longer. Thanks again for all the help!!!!

We had ours renewed just this spring..sent in the old, it came back with the new, with a small hole punched in it. I don't know that I'd trust the post office's response. Everyone I know who has renewed their passport has had to send in the old.

Thank you both!! I'm from the US. I was just wondering since on an old application for a US passport it stated that you had to submit it if you had it yet. I really wanted to keep it since I have cancellations from countries no longer existing. I did finally get through to someone at the post office and they said that you do not have to bring it in any longer. Thanks again for all the help!!!!

The best bet, is to scan the stamps. My wife was worried that she wouldn't get her old passport back with the few stamps she has, but she did. (

, just scroll for the ones I've gotten from cruising)

Archived