New York Car Service

I have been reading the reviews for the many car services in the New York City. Frankly, I'm a little worried. I've never seen so many poor reviews when selecting a car service.

I need a RELIABLE car service for 4 different trips. I don't need much; just a clean car, an on-time driver, and a fare price with no hidden charges.

If you have a car service that you can recommend, please let me know. These are the 4 trips for which I will want to make a reservation:

Trip 1 - From JFK airport to Downtown/Financial District Manhattan around 6 p.m. on a Friday

Trip 2 - From Downtown/Financial District Manhattan to Red Hook Cruise Terminal, Brooklyn around 1 p.m. on a Saturday

Trip 3 - From Red Hook Cruise Terminal to Midtown Manhattan around 10 a.m. on a Saturday

Trip 4 - From Midtown Manhattan to JFK around 6 a.m. on a Wednesday

Thanks for your help.

I have been reading the reviews for the many car services in the New York City. Frankly, I'm a little worried. I've never seen so many poor reviews when selecting a car service.

I need a RELIABLE car service for 4 different trips. I don't need much; just a clean car, an on-time driver, and a fare price with no hidden charges.

If you have a car service that you can recommend, please let me know. These are the 4 trips for which I will want to make a reservation:

Trip 1 - From JFK airport to Downtown/Financial District Manhattan around 6 p.m. on a Friday

Trip 2 - From Downtown/Financial District Manhattan to Red Hook Cruise Terminal, Brooklyn around 1 p.m. on a Saturday

Trip 3 - From Red Hook Cruise Terminal to Midtown Manhattan around 10 a.m. on a Saturday

Thanks for your help.

I use Dial 7 most frequently. Carmel has become so big that they are also sometimes undependable. But if in a pinch, I would still use Carmel.

From JKF, I would just use the taxi dispatcher at the airport. Flat fee into Manhattan.

To/from RedHook-call Arecibo. They are local Brooklyn and know how to get there. Cabs often don't know the way or say they don't know the way, so they can either jack you around on the price OR they just don't want to go there.

Return to JFK-take a taxi from your hotel. The doorman will be glad to get one for you. Again, it is flat rate to the airport.

take a cab from the airport $45 flat fee plus tolls and tip.

call Arecibo about 1/2 hour before you intend to leave. i would leave closer to 11:30 myself

call Arecibo when you start to leave the ship....or when you get through customs there will be there in 5 minutes,

a yellow cab will be also set for $45.00 plus tolls and tip....

Thanks for your help.

see above....

I just made reservations with Black Car Transportation based on information from other cc posters. Communicated via email and very quick to respond and seemed nice. Haven't used them myself but others gave good reviews...http://www.blackexecutivecars.com/

I just made reservations with Black Car Transportation based on information from other cc posters. Communicated via email and very quick to respond and seemed nice. Haven't used them myself but others gave good reviews...http://www.blackexecutivecars.com/

Your company is out of NJ. OP needs a NYC company. It would be prohibitively expensive to book a NJ company to pick up at JFK (NY) and drop off in Manhattan. Car service would need to return to NJ, most likely empty. All those miles cost a lot of money.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

One of the posters said "There are no car services that are always reliable, because of the way they're set up. Having said that, I have been most satisfied with Dial 7."

Wow... you mean if I make a reservation with a car service to take me to the airport, they might not even show up? Unbelieveable. My DH is gonna freak if I can't get us reliable transportation to the airport. All of the other legs of our journey are unimportant compared to getting us to the airport on time. Our flight leaves at 9 a.m., so we'll have to travel during rush over (maybe pre-rush hour in NY?). I guess we need to leave midtown between 6 a.m. - 7 a.m.

So what do I do? Make a reservation with a car service and if they don't show up, try to get a cab at the last minute? The whole of idea of reserving a car instead of taking a cab is to have a "reserved ride". This is starting to remind me of that Seinfeld episode where he talks about the rental cars companies that "can take a reservation... but can't keep the reservation".

So... of all of the unreliables, who can I count on to get me to the airport on time?

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

One of the posters said "There are no car services that are always reliable, because of the way they're set up. Having said that, I have been most satisfied with Dial 7."

So what do I do? Make a reservation with a car service and if they don't show up, try to get a cab at the last minute? The whole of idea of reserving a car instead of taking a cab is to have a "reserved ride". This is starting to remind me of that Seinfeld episode where he talks about the rental cars companies that "can take a reservation... but can't keep the reservation".

So... of all of the unreliables, who can I count on to get me to the airport on time?

you will be fine................stick with dial 7 and arecibo.........i WOULD get a cab to JFK for your last leg............there are tons of cabs and the fare is flat.............i would leave by 6. you never know.................JFK can have long lines.....and you can always get some coffee and snacks there.....

in all the times i have used car services in different cities, only 1 was late (the one in baltimore....still got to the cruise in plenty of time, just annoying!)

I am going thru this as well as we need one from Laguardia to Red Hook and then Red Hook to Manhattan and back to Lagaurdia. The more I read, the more hair I pull out from all the complaints. Will Dial 7 do all this for 2 people?

I am going thru this as well as we need one from Laguardia to Red Hook and then Red Hook to Manhattan and back to Lagaurdia. The more I read, the more hair I pull out from all the complaints. Will Dial 7 do all this for 2 people?

use a yellow cab(30-35) from LGA just have the directions with you. No reservations and they will be lined up...

They are the BQE to Atlantic Avenue exit make a left at the light at the end of the exit and then the first right.

Use Arecibo from Red Hook 7187836465, call as you are getting off. 20 or less.

and a yellow cab back from Manhattan $30.

easiest fastest ways with little or no waits.

and you can keep your hair.

use a yellow cab(30-35) from LGA just have the directions with you. No reservations and they will be lined up...

They are the BQE to Atlantic Avenue exit make a left at the light at the end of the exit and then the first right.

Use Arecibo from Red Hook 7187836465, call as you are getting off. 20 or less.

and a yellow cab back from Manhattan $30.

easiest fastest ways with little or no waits.

and you can keep your hair.

Thank you. I'll give Arecibo a call now to have it set up where we call them like you said.

Just reserved Dial 7 car service for our trip. Quoted LaGuardia to Manhatten terminal $31.00 plus tip and tolls. Cruise terminal to Newark Airport $48.00 plus tip and tolls. Anyone have any idea how much the toll charges are? Just checked my credit card statement and found out Dial 7 comes up "Tel Aviv Car and Limousine Service" on my statement. There are 2 $75.00 pending charges. Didn't know which service to with but I will let everyone know how it goes! Julie

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful serice with Dial 7!!! Phoned as soon as we got our bags at LaGuardia, lady said it would be 10 to 15 minute wait. The car was there in 5 minutes, no kidding! Very clean Lincoln Town Car, $31 plus tip! On return trip I didn't know what time we would get off the ship, told her approx. 10am. She said to phone by 9am if we would didn't think we would be off by then. We were off the ship at 9:15. Phoned to let them know we were already off and the car was there in 15 minutes! Again a very clean Lincoln Town Car, $48 + $11 for tolls and tip! (We flew out of Newark airport on return trip) I don't know if this is the usual standard of service, but I won't hesitate to recommend them and use them again!

Wonderful serice with Dial 7!!! Phoned as soon as we got our bags at LaGuardia, lady said it would be 10 to 15 minute wait. The car was there in 5 minutes, no kidding! Very clean Lincoln Town Car, $31 plus tip! On return trip I didn't know what time we would get off the ship, told her approx. 10am. She said to phone by 9am if we would didn't think we would be off by then. We were off the ship at 9:15. Phoned to let them know we were already off and the car was there in 15 minutes! Again a very clean Lincoln Town Car, $48 + $11 for tolls and tip! (We flew out of Newark airport on return trip) I don't know if this is the usual standard of service, but I won't hesitate to recommend them and use them again!

Did you already pre-reserve the cars thru their web site or call them? I read above someone stated there are 2 pending $75 charges on their credit cards so if they did this to you, are you suppose to pay cash and then they take it off the card or do they change the $75 to the correct amount. We are needing to set up a car service from Laguardia to a Manhattan Hotel and Manhattan to Red Hook and Red Hook to Laguardia during our stay there.

We reserved on the phone. I was not sure of the exact address of the pier we were sailing out of so I phoned them to ask them if they could help me. Reservations were made over the phone. 2 $75.00 charges were made to credit card, pending. When we got in the car we had the option to pay cash or credit card. Had great service from them. Would not hesitate to use them, especially after seeing the lines for the taxis at the airport on our arrival! They were there in no time and we bypassed all the lines. Julie

We reserved on the phone. I was not sure of the exact address of the pier we were sailing out of so I phoned them to ask them if they could help me. Reservations were made over the phone. 2 $75.00 charges were made to credit card, pending. When we got in the car we had the option to pay cash or credit card. Had great service from them. Would not hesitate to use them, especially after seeing the lines for the taxis at the airport on our arrival! They were there in no time and we bypassed all the lines. Julie

Thanks for your response. So I assume the 2 $75.00 pending charges were credited to your card after you paid or were they even charged to your card since you said "pending". Just wondering if by making reservations now for our trip in Oct. that we will have to pay for 3 difference uses totaling 225.00 next statement if they charge the card $75 even though 2 of them should be in the 30's.

• 1 month later...

I haven't tried him yet but William of Wiro Limo has been very responsive taking his time responding to any questions, very professional and we are going with him. He gets 5 star reviews on yelp dot com. Just look at wirolimo.com Call him or e-mail him and tell him Kathy and Cheryl sent you. Our rate from Laguardia to Brooklyn port is 55 and Brooklyn port to Manhattan 55 and Manhattan to JFK 65 so if you are looking for cheap and maybe not too reliable you don't want him. Go to yelp dot com and get the reviews on the car services. We even had ours set and we rearranged our entire schedule and William redid everything courteously and quickly. All tolls are included in his rate that he gives you. So that Carmel and Dial7 might not be so cheap after all since they charge 5.50 for each toll but they both did respond unlike Arechibo who is plain rude. Good luck!

Good question - I would like to know the answer too. We need to book a car service from Newark airport to Manhattan in mid-Oct.

You need a NEW JERSEY car service, NOT any that are mentioned in this thread. Dial 7, Carmel, Arecibo, Eastern are NEW YORK car services. There are very different rules between NJ and NY and often getting a car service in the wrong state means much higher charges.

You need a NEW JERSEY car service, NOT any that are mentioned in this thread. Dial 7, Carmel, Arecibo, Eastern are NEW YORK car services. There are very different rules between NJ and NY and often getting a car service in the wrong state means much higher charges.

Well Wiro Limo goes anywhere anytime and I will gladly pay more for someone as professional and on top of things like William has. That is why when we changed our schedule no question that we went with William again even though I am sure we could have gotten it for 10 cheaper - it isn't worth what I am reading on yelp.com about the car services and these are people that live in NY. Wiro Limo is in NY so he passes your NY car service statement. You probably were not talking to me but just in case someone else gets confused about what I just posted against your post it is straightened out. :)

We relied on the Concierge at the hotel to get us a reliable driver when needed and it worked very well.

Had booked a specific driver from JFK to the city, he was nice, but we waited approx 45min after calling him to say we had our baggage and were waiting in the pickup area.

Might have worked better & faster by just going out to the taxi stand.

Archived