New York Car Service

Well Wiro Limo goes anywhere anytime and I will gladly pay more for someone as professional and on top of things like William has. That is why when we changed our schedule no question that we went with William again even though I am sure we could have gotten it for 10 cheaper - it isn't worth what I am reading on yelp.com about the car services and these are people that live in NY. Wiro Limo is in NY so he passes your NY car service statement. You probably were not talking to me but just in case someone else gets confused about what I just posted against your post it is straightened out. :)

You certainly seem to know a lot about NY car services for someone who was posting for help to find one.

I probably depend on car services/taxis in NY/NJ about as much as those that live there. I am in NYC once a month for business and when all our company cars/pickups are being used, I either have to get a rental or rely on car service/taxi to get to my appointments. Rentals and parking provide their own hassles when I have to go to a series of short business meetings. We have a company account with Dial 7, setup at my request because I have used them more, been satisfied and had better service than most of the others.

What you DON'T UNDERSTAND is the different rules regarding NY/NJ and crossing state lines. And neither do a LOT of NYC residents. The rules are stricter for taxis BUT no NY based car service is going to go to NJ without CHARGING for it. The tolls alone add $10-15 for a RT.

So pick whoever you want. I really don't care. But recommending someone who SPECIALIZES in Manhattan and the outer Boroughs for a trip from NJ to NY does a disservice to the poster who I replied to.

You certainly seem to know a lot about NY car services for someone who was posting for help to find one.

I probably depend on car services/taxis in NY/NJ about as much as those that live there. I am in NYC once a month for business and when all our company cars/pickups are being used, I either have to get a rental or rely on car service/taxi to get to my appointments. Rentals and parking provide their own hassles when I have to go to a series of short business meetings. We have a company account with Dial 7, setup at my request because I have used them more, been satisfied and had better service than most of the others.

What you DON'T UNDERSTAND is the different rules regarding NY/NJ and crossing state lines. And neither do a LOT of NYC residents. The rules are stricter for taxis BUT no NY based car service is going to go to NJ without CHARGING for it. The tolls alone add $10-15 for a RT.

So pick whoever you want. I really don't care. But recommending someone who SPECIALIZES in Manhattan and the outer Boroughs for a trip from NJ to NY does a disservice to the poster who I replied to.

That post was sometime back and yes I have researched alot and called alot so I know more now than back when I was looking for one. I don't know how much for NJ only Brooklyn, JFK and Manhattan. And sorry but you did not post who you were responding to so it was a open post. Who I recommended goes to NJ and may indeed charge for it but it you look at their ratings versus the others on yelp.com which you haven't you might agree. So calm down since I wasn't putting down your post but I am allowed to post what I found out with my hours of calling and research.

Okay, so now I am totally confused after reading all the posts! :confused:

I need transportation from Manhattan pier to Newark airport on 10/17/09. Should I just grab a cab or should I reserve a car service and if so, which one goes to NJ without a lot of hassle? How will the cab rates compare to a car service? Am hoping to get off ship early and catch an earlier flight than what we are currently booked on. Do I have to reserve a car service in advance, or could we just call them when we get off ship?

Thanks for your help. This non-experienced traveler really appreciates it!

That post was sometime back and yes I have researched alot and called alot so I know more now than back when I was looking for one. I don't know how much for NJ only Brooklyn, JFK and Manhattan. And sorry but you did not post who you were responding to so it was a open post. Who I recommended goes to NJ and may indeed charge for it but it you look at their ratings versus the others on yelp.com which you haven't you might agree. So calm down since I wasn't putting down your post but I am allowed to post what I found out with my hours of calling and research.

REREAD my post. I was responding to Verga who SPECIFICALLY needed car service from Newark NJ airport to Manhattan.

I love it-you have never taken the car service but because of attentive emails/phone calls and what is posted on Yelp, you are now recommending them???

As I posted to your blast of Arecibo, New Yorkers have no time for BS. They are often seen as rude, arrogant and curt. Get to the point and get it done is the NY way. You're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Hope your car service works out well. But please don't recommend NY car services that you have never used for those who need car services ORIGINATING in NJ.

I need transportation from Manhattan pier to Newark airport on 10/17/09. Should I just grab a cab or should I reserve a car service and if so, which one goes to NJ without a lot of hassle? How will the cab rates compare to a car service? Am hoping to get off ship early and catch an earlier flight than what we are currently booked on. Do I have to reserve a car service in advance, or could we just call them when we get off ship?

Since your trip ORIGINATES in NYC, you can call ANY of the NYC car services. Taxi will cost you more as a general rule. Flat rate car service + tip + tolls BOTH ways vs taxi via meter + tolls + tip + $15.00 surcharge for going to NJ. Some car services INCLUDE the tolls, but NEVER the tip. If you run into major traffic in a taxi, the meter just keeps clicking.

Book a car service in advance, ESPECIALLY since you are going to NJ.

REREAD my post. I was responding to Verga who SPECIFICALLY needed car service from Newark NJ airport to Manhattan.

I love it-you have never taken the car service but because of attentive emails/phone calls and what is posted on Yelp, you are now recommending them???

As I posted to your blast of Arecibo, New Yorkers have no time for BS. They are often seen as rude, arrogant and curt. Get to the point and get it done is the NY way. You're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Hope your car service works out well. But please don't recommend NY car services that you have never used for those who need car services ORIGINATING in NJ.

Good lord....you must be a cranky person. Calm down. I do have a right to recommend someone who has good 5 star ratings over the others who have been responsive to me right away unlike the others. You don't live there either so I'm done with you and yes I have that right to post what I found. The person can try WiroLimo who goes anywhere anytime including NJ. Maybe they should call Arecibo and WiroLimo and see who gives them a better response and let them decide for theirselves. And its not true that New Yorkers don't have time to answer questions only Arecibo that I have talked to and bsing was not what I asked, I asked "is this arecibo"? and you call that BSing? Wow!!!!!!! Foreign accent and that is BSing....whatever.

Its best to use a NY based car service. Its best to have it in advance from any of the major NY car services. They will want you to call as you are getting off as otherwise they will have to have a car waiting for you and will most likely charge you more. Arecibo only wants you to call as you are getting off. The NY cars service generally charge about the same(7777777, carmel etc). Less than the NJ ones tolls or no toll.

I think you should call several places and see who responds to you the way you want and take it from there. All New Yorkers are not the same that I found out and I had bad experience with a call to Arecibo when I asked "is this Arecibo"? due to their heavy accent and then they hung up. I thought after that if I booked them and had a problem they won't have time for me so I booked someone who is rated 5 stars and responds with professionalism and has time to be courteous. Your choice. Call around to the 4 of them and see who you like. I don't live in NY and those reviews on the one site were mostly from people who live there and have a lot of usage with car services much more than cruise critic members. Which is why I recommended you to look at yelp.com. Good luck.

Arecibo does one thing well and relatively inexpensively. They come when you call them and take you were you want to go. They don't have the best telephone manners. they don't want a reservation. They want to pick you up and drop you off in an ok car as fast as possible. Its a car service for the masses. That's their niche in the market. As I said I use them 2-3 times a week. They come fast. They know where I live. For pick up in Brooklyn they are by far the best by a NY mile and in a NY minute.

If I wanted to impress someone from out of town, I probably would pick some one else....

Smeyer418 and Greatam

There are 6 pax in my group so should we book 2 cars or a minivan? We have 6 pcs of large luggage and 6 carryons.

We are thinking of using Dial 7 from Newark airport to our Times Square hotel and Arecibo from our Times Square hotel to Red Hook - would that work? Should I make reservation in advance for both Dial 7 and Arecibo?

Thanks in advance for yoru reply.

Smeyer418 and Greatam

There are 6 pax in my group so should we book 2 cars or a minivan? We have 6 pcs of large luggage and 6 carryons.

We are thinking of using Dial 7 from Newark airport to our Times Square hotel and Arecibo from our Times Square hotel to Red Hook - would that work? Should I make reservation in advance for both Dial 7 and Arecibo?

Thanks in advance for yoru reply.

You may also want to call Black Executive Cars (listed in Meg's blog about Cape Liberty). There have been reports of excellent service and they are NJ based. Just to check prices. I know they have a Suburban which would fit everyone and luggage.

Otherwise, Dial 7 is who I use most of the time. They may give you a slight discount if you used them for both legs of your trip. Worth asking anyhow. Otherwise, you plans are fine.

Definitely make a reservation if you use Dial 7 for a Newark pickup. It could possibly take close to an hour to get from Manhattan to EWR if you don't. Smeyer418 state to just call Arecibo when you are ready. But remember, they are based in Brooklyn.

Needed the same ride when departing NCL Jewel last week. After reading all the stories here about possible problems, I used the website for Dial 7 and booked. Reservation and ride to Newark went without a hitch. One hint: (we were departing Pier 88, don't know if they are all the same) - after getting through customs, you take an elevator to the 2nd level for car pickup.

You may also want to call Black Executive Cars (listed in Meg's blog about Cape Liberty). There have been reports of excellent service and they are NJ based. Just to check prices. I know they have a Suburban which would fit everyone and luggage.

Otherwise, Dial 7 is who I use most of the time. They may give you a slight discount if you used them for both legs of your trip. Worth asking anyhow. Otherwise, you plans are fine.

Definitely make a reservation if you use Dial 7 for a Newark pickup. It could possibly take close to an hour to get from Manhattan to EWR if you don't. Smeyer418 state to just call Arecibo when you are ready. But remember, they are based in Brooklyn.

Thanks. I'll check out the prices of both Dial 7 and Black Executive Cars.

We used Carmelo on Sept. 26th from JFK to Brooklyn (Red Hook). (Booked ahead on website). I thought we might be in trouble when our driver only spoke limited english. Thank heavens I had printed out the directions on how to get to Red Hook from the Princess website. Even as I read them slowly to him he still couldn't get it right. He did know how to get there (in a round about fashion) from LaGuardia so drove there and then backtracked. YIKES! He then argued about my pre-printed coupon from their website. When he called his boss and I talked to him and told him that the driver got lost several times and did not know how to get where I needed to go, he got mad at me and said "now I'm going to get in trouble." Ya THINK!

We used Six Stars of New York car service from our hotel in Times Square to Red Hook 2 weeks ago. There were four of us and we had a lot of luggage so we needed an SUV. The charge was $129.71 with tolls and tip. The driver was right on time for pickup and had no problems getting to the port in Brooklyn.

We are sailing on Explorer of the Seas on 20 Dec. We have booked Black Car Service to take us from our Manhattan Hotel to Cape Liberty. The price is USD90 for a 6 seat SUV. This includes tolls but not gratuity.

The return from Cape Liberty to Penn Station Manhattan is USD 89.

I call the office and Myrna was out at lunch so I left a message for her to call me back (we are in the UK).

She called back and I confirmed the booking and emailed the booking form. I received a confirmation within a few hours.

I have found them to be very efficient hopefully the car service will be just as good.

I also booked Black Car Service. I completed a booking form and provided a credit card # as guarantee.

EWR to Times Square hotel = $90 (tolls and taxes included) + tips on 6 pax Suburban

Times Square hotel to Red Hook - $70 (tolls and taxes included) + tips on 6 pax Suburban

Reply to my enquiries - email from Myrna was received within a few hours.

Confirm to my booking was received within a day.

I hope the service is good as well. I will report back in late Oct.

We used Six Stars of New York car service from our hotel in Times Square to Red Hook 2 weeks ago. There were four of us and we had a lot of luggage so we needed an SUV. The charge was $129.71 with tolls and tip. The driver was right on time for pickup and had no problems getting to the port in Brooklyn.

yes and he charged you about twice the going rate. A cab which would take 2 in great comfort would cost about $30.00 per cab(x 2=$60). Its 6 miles. $129 for four is an excessive rate. Any of the car services Carmel 7777777 etc would have happily done it with a full size limo for less.....a lot less. call them and ask...

But if you were happy with the service and the price its too late now...

yes and he charged you about twice the going rate. A cab which would take 2 in great comfort would cost about $30.00 per cab(x 2=$60). Its 6 miles. $129 for four is an excessive rate. Any of the car services Carmel 7777777 etc would have happily done it with a full size limo for less.....a lot less. call them and ask...

But if you were happy with the service and the price its too late now...

I wasn't going to say anything, but that price is outrageous!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We recently returned from our cruise out of New York (Red Hook pier) and I'd like to share a great "find" for a car service and/or private tour. This gentleman was recommended on this board a while back, and he REALLY delivered. He was prompt with e-mail communications, and was on-time with his pick up.

I had requested that we be picked up at the Red Hook pier in Brooklyn following our cruise, and that we have a private 3-hour tour of the city. He took us everywhere!! It was a great tour, and John was really knowledgeable about all areas of the city. He then delivered us to our hotel in the Times Square area. The cost was reasonable, and his Town Car sedan was clean and roomy.

If you need a private car service to the pier, airport or around town, or would like a private tour arranged, I highly recommend you give this guy a call. JD'S Car Service (914) 469-9386 or dignanjohn@aol.com

Could you be more specific on the price for the 3-hour tour?

Our tour was $200 and I gave a nice gratuity. I think his prices may vary by number of persons and itinerary (you can create your own, or work with John on what you want to see). I had checked out the GreyLine Tours, (which I think was $74 pp), so this was pretty comparable. We felt we could see more of the city with a private tour..... and we DID!

Archived