New York Car Service

I also booked Black Car Service. I completed a booking form and provided a credit card # as guarantee.

EWR to Times Square hotel = $90 (tolls and taxes included) + tips on 6 pax Suburban

Times Square hotel to Red Hook - $70 (tolls and taxes included) + tips on 6 pax Suburban

Reply to my enquiries - email from Myrna was received within a few hours.

Confirm to my booking was received within a day.

I hope the service is good as well. I will report back in late Oct.

We are happy with Black Car and would definitely use them again when we next visit NYC.

As soon as we collected our luggage, I called Black Car and within 10 minutes, we were picked up from EWR. It took an hour to get to our Times Sqaure hotel on a Sunday, 6 PM.

Service from hotel to Red Hook was great as well - a 10 minute wait from time of call. Again, it took an hour to get to Red Hook on a Tuesday afternoon with a 4 pm pick-up.

We used Carmel recently and were pleased. Fixed rates from JFK to Times Square = $44 plus grats (less $4 coupon found online). Carmel to Red Hook from Time Square (with another coupon) was same price... it took about 35 minutes to get to Red Hook. I'd be worried to be on a meter.

We arranged for a private tour following the cruise, with pick up at Red Hook and drop off at Times Square hotel. JD's Car Service was GREAT... very prompt and gave a good tour of the city. JohnDignan@aol.com If you have a few hours to kill before checking into a hotel or catching a flight, this is a good way to spend them.

We used Carmel recently and were pleased. Fixed rates from JFK to Times Square = $44 plus grats (less $4 coupon found online). Carmel to Red Hook from Time Square (with another coupon) was same price... it took about 35 minutes to get to Red Hook. I'd be worried to be on a meter.

We arranged for a private tour following the cruise, with pick up at Red Hook and drop off at Times Square hotel. JD's Car Service was GREAT... very prompt and gave a good tour of the city. JohnDignan@aol.com If you have a few hours to kill before checking into a hotel or catching a flight, this is a good way to spend them.

Just so you know, the taxi fare from JFK to Manhattan is fixed at $45 so in the future if you need to use a taxi for that trip there's no need to worry about the meter. All other yellow taxi trips in NY City are based on the meter.

I don't want to speak poorly of this 'tour' - you obviously enjoyed it which is the most important thing. However it is important for those researching on this site to know that New York City law requires ANYONE who conducts someone to sites in the city to be a Licensed NY Guide. Many websites that have driver tours like this say "professional" guide which is not the same thing (that only means you are paying him/her). Licensing requires taking a special test given by the city and is done to insure certain standards of knowledge amongst tour guides in the city.

Again I don't know this company personally but their website says nothing about their drivers also being licensed guides.

I do NOT appreciate you "splitting hairs" with my recommendation.

I posted an e-mail address for this person, NOT a website for you to investigate. For your information, he is licensed, and the license was visibly posted in his vehicle.

I posted an e-mail address for this person, NOT a website for you to investigate. For your information, he is licensed, and the license was visibly posted in his vehicle.

I think you're way off base. Asking a question about licensing of a tour guide is legitimate and prudent.

I think you're way off base. Asking a question about licensing of a tour guide is legitimate and prudent.

FYI...I just checked the listed of licensed guides published by the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs, and did not see this person's name. Check here, and click on the link for the list of Licensed Tour Guides under "Resources" on the lower right hand side of the page:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/html/resources/resources.shtml

Perhaps the license you saw in the car was his limousine license.

To top it off, your post appears to violate board rules against posting unsolicited reviews/recommendations of tour operators or guides, as stated here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=637876

Sorry Julia - I was unaware that stating the local law was "splitting hairs". Stating that his car was grey and not black might be a better example of splittting hairs.

And as I stated in my post: I do NOT know this driver personally so was not commenting on him specifically but on the driver/guide services in general.

This is a board for sharing of information. Therefore letting people know what the local laws are is more than appropriate.

The following link is to the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs and lists all individuals who are licensed to work as tour guides in New York City:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/downloads/pdf/10-09_tour_guides.pdf

Getting licensed as a tour guide in NY is a real pain. the exam is extremely difficult and covers at best what can be described as obtuse and irrelevant information. Many people can give great tours without being "licensed".

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/downloads/pdf/study_reference.pdf

They do ask "who is buried in Grant's tomb" besides the late president.

two more examples...

why is Staten Island(richmond county) part of NYC as it is much closer to NJ? The joke answer is there was a boat race and NY lost- the actual answer is NY won that boat race.

What happens if a sightseeing bus drives through Brooklyn Heights?

Judy Stanton the executive director of the Brooklyn Heights Association has the choice of shooting the guide or the driver...

Getting licensed as a tour guide in NY is a real pain. the exam is extremely difficult and covers at best what can be described as obtuse and irrelevant information. Many people can give great tours without being "licensed".

You are right getting a tour guide license is difficult - that is the point!!

Those who are giving great tours without a license are breaking the law.

If this was a shore excursion in another country - and there were regulations regarding the licensing of guides etc - wouldn't you want to be sure to be with someone who is licensed?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/downloads/pdf/study_reference.pdf

They do ask "who is buried in Grant's tomb" besides the late president.

two more examples...

why is Staten Island(richmond county) part of NYC as it is much closer to NJ? The joke answer is there was a boat race and NY lost- the actual answer is NY won that boat race.

What happens if a sightseeing bus drives through Brooklyn Heights?

Judy Stanton the executive director of the Brooklyn Heights Association has the choice of shooting the guide or the driver...

I've heard similar statements made about a lot of professional certification exams...the bar exam...the ten actuarial exams...you know what I mean? ;):D

I've heard similar statements made about a lot of professional certification exams...the bar exam...the ten actuarial exams...you know what I mean? ;):D

but this isn't that type of exam...believe me(and I passed the bar the first time-although I don't like walking past any bar)

Our tour was $200 and I gave a nice gratuity. I think his prices may vary by number of persons and itinerary (you can create your own, or work with John on what you want to see). I had checked out the GreyLine Tours, (which I think was $74 pp), so this was pretty comparable. We felt we could see more of the city with a private tour..... and we DID!

We did the Greyline tours on the day we got off the ship on the 24th Oct. and it was miserable pouring rain. I wished we had hired a car service to take us around to the sites we wanted to see instead. The Greyline tour cost $54 for 4 loops for 2 days - Brooklyn, Uptown, Downtown, and the Night tour, however we only had time for Uptown and Downtown. We could not even see the Top of the Rock that we had bought tickets for prior due to zero visibility and have requested a refund for that portion.

I do want to say again in this thread after completing 3 services with WiroLimo we can highly recommend this car service to be there not only on time but ahead of time and you will get texted to your phone the evening before and when they arrive. The costs are more than the others but the service was 5 stars. For example, LGA to Brooklyn Pier was $55 including tax and tolls; Brooklyn Pier to Manhattan including tax and tolls was $55 and Manhattan to JFK was $65 including tax and tolls.

I do want to say again in this thread after completing 3 services with WiroLimo we can highly recommend this car service to be there not only on time but ahead of time and you will get texted to your phone the evening before and when they arrive. The costs are more than the others but the service was 5 stars. For example, LGA to Brooklyn Pier was $55 including tax and tolls; Brooklyn Pier to Manhattan including tax and tolls was $55 and Manhattan to JFK was $65 including tax and tolls.

wow. The cost from LGA to the Brooklyn Pier by cab is about $30. The cost to midtown Manhattan is about the same $30.00

JFK by cab to and from Manhattan is fixed at $45 plus toll($5.50)

The limos the pier has hired in Brooklyn charge about the same as the one you quoted and they have to pay a large fee to the pier.

wow. The cost from LGA to the Brooklyn Pier by cab is about $30. The cost to midtown Manhattan is about the same $30.00

JFK by cab to and from Manhattan is fixed at $45 plus toll($5.50)

The limos the pier has hired in Brooklyn charge about the same as the one you quoted and they have to pay a large fee to the pier.

Yep I know we could have done it cheaper but my older sister wanted to make sure there was no stress of wondering if the taxi knew how to get there or the stress that we read when car services were late or not showing up at all. So, there was no stress with this car service and yes it is higher but it was a very comfortable ride in a large black Surbuban SUV and heck we have never had a car service before so it was a treat to us.

So the prices you are saying is we paid $14.50 more from Manhattan to JFK, $25 more from LGA to the pier, and $25 more from pier to Manhattan. I guess I missed the pricing of taxis when I was looking but I am saving this info so next time we will know. Thanks for putting that down. No tolls for the other two? Looking at it a different way, it was cheaper than the Princess transfer bus at $64 one way for the both of us.

I was very surprised that everyone we talked to in NY were very pleasant and helpful. I was not expecting this after making the one phone call to the one car service mentioned earlier.

Yep I know we could have done it cheaper but my older sister wanted to make sure there was no stress of wondering if the taxi knew how to get there or the stress that we read when car services were late or not showing up at all. So, there was no stress with this car service and yes it is higher but it was a very comfortable ride in a large black Surbuban SUV and heck we have never had a car service before so it was a treat to us.

So the prices you are saying is we paid $14.50 more from Manhattan to JFK, $25 more from LGA to the pier, and $25 more from pier to Manhattan. I guess I missed the pricing of taxis when I was looking but I am saving this info so next time we will know. Thanks for putting that down. No tolls for the other two? Looking at it a different way, it was cheaper than the Princess transfer bus at $64 one way for the both of us.

I was very surprised that everyone we talked to in NY were very pleasant and helpful. I was not expecting this after making the one phone call to the one car service mentioned earlier.

there is no toll from LGA to the Red Hook pier. From Red Hook there are two ways one with a toll and one with out but its not expensive to Midtown either way. Arecibo-which you called and I recommend- is about the same as a cab but they don't do reservations well(in fact they don't do English well but that is another story)....but they understand come get me at x and take me to y...and they really do know where the Red Hook pier is.

but this isn't that type of exam...believe me(and I passed the bar the first time-although I don't like walking past any bar)

So are you saying that because the test is difficult or contains some questions that you think are "obtuse" that we shouldn't care about whether tour guides are actually operating legally or not in NYC?

So are you saying that because the test is difficult or contains some questions that you think are "obtuse" that we shouldn't care about whether tour guides are actually operating legally or not in NYC?

most guides in NY are not licensed. Most cabbies can give you a good tour and they are technically not licensed for it. Do you really care if they are licensed or not as long as they don't rip you off? What you should care about is a safe respectful tour guide that knows the tour they are giving not who is buried in g r e e n w o o d(was replaced with **********) cemetery(some of the Tiffany's and Leonard Bernstein a large number of Civil war generals-from both the North and the South)..

most guides in NY are not licensed. Most cabbies can give you a good tour and they are technically not licensed for it. Do you really care if they are licensed or not as long as they don't rip you off? What you should care about is a safe respectful tour guide that knows the tour they are giving not who is buried in g r e e n w o o d(was replaced with **********) cemetery(some of the Tiffany's and Leonard Bernstein a large number of Civil war generals-from both the North and the South)..

Wow - really surprised to hear your comments. Not sure if the "most guides in NY are not licensed" part is true - but I am sure that anyone giving tours for any reputable and legal tour operator is licensed (or should be). I would agree with your implied point that a bunch of knowledge does not necessarily make a good guide - but using a licensed guide is at least a guarantee they have the knowledge. Using a cabbie as your tourguide would give you no such guarentee.

Whether of not YOU think tourguides should need to have a license is really immaterial - the City of New York requires them to!

And I for one am someone who believes travellers should respect the laws of the places they visit.

Wow - really surprised to hear your comments. Not sure if the "most guides in NY are not licensed" part is true - but I am sure that anyone giving tours for any reputable and legal tour operator is licensed (or should be). I would agree with your implied point that a bunch of knowledge does not necessarily make a good guide - but using a licensed guide is at least a guarantee they have the knowledge. Using a cabbie as your tourguide would give you no such guarentee.

Whether of not YOU think tourguides should need to have a license is really immaterial - the City of New York requires them to!

And I for one am someone who believes travellers should respect the laws of the places they visit.

what is the fine for not being licensed? $50(it costs more to get the license). the big buses are licensed but not necessarily the "guide" you get. Do you think that the PD spends any time at all enforcing this? With the internet people know who give decent tours and those that don't. Do you really need the government doing everything especially when a full 1/3 of the exam is about where the buses can and can't go. If you are in a mini van none of these apply to you anyway. Yep I follow most laws(including the J walking ones- where the fine in NY is $2.00)...

what is the fine for not being licensed? $50(it costs more to get the license).

So if the punishment for breaking the law is less money than following the law it is ok to break said law?

the big buses are licensed but not necessarily the "guide" you get.

If by big buses you mean the 2 major HoHo Tour Operators in NY - I think you would find that all of their guides are licensed. They are too visible of an entity to blatently break the law.

Do you think that the PD spends any time at all enforcing this?

Read: its ok to break the rules as long as you don't get caught

With the internet people know who give decent tours and those that don't. Do you really need the government doing everything especially when a full 1/3 of the exam is about where the buses can and can't go. If you are in a mini van none of these apply to you anyway.

Your views about whether it SHOULD be a regulated industry are trumped by the fact that it IS a regulated industry

Do you also suggest that visitors just jump into the car with anyone who says "taxi" to them in the airport? They are real drivers with real cars - they just probably are not licensed to pick-up passengers at the airport.

Do you also suggest that visitors just jump into the car with anyone who says "taxi" to them in the airport? They are real drivers with real cars - they just probably are not licensed to pick-up passengers at the airport.

you know I don't know what your problem is. This is not like a taxi driver (where the issue is insurance of the cab by the way). Its someone giving a tour. The poster posted a name of someone who gives tours. Someone checked on whether they are licensed and they weren't. Its not a big deal if you want to use someone who is licensed I won't stop you. My point is is that there are many reputable unlicensed tour guides. there are many terrible licensed drivers and every profession for that matter. A license doesn't guarantee you anything but they have a license. The taxi driver issue is more because they limit the number of cabs(since the 1930's) anyway. You clearly have a license to be annoying you are entitled to your opinion as small and as narrow as it is.

you know I don't know what your problem is. This is not like a taxi driver (where the issue is insurance of the cab by the way). Its someone giving a tour. The poster posted a name of someone who gives tours. Someone checked on whether they are licensed and they weren't. Its not a big deal if you want to use someone who is licensed I won't stop you. My point is is that there are many reputable unlicensed tour guides. there are many terrible licensed drivers and every profession for that matter. A license doesn't guarantee you anything but they have a license. The taxi driver issue is more because they limit the number of cabs(since the 1930's) anyway. You clearly have a license to be annoying you are entitled to your opinion as small and as narrow as it is.

Well obviously I hit a nerve since you have started name calling.

This back and forth between us started when I posted the information that New York licenses its tour guides. I also added a link for those who might want to check if their tour guide was indeed licensed and therefore operating legally. To SOME people that matters. To others - obviously not.

And happily for you and all others who are now bored with this topic my LAST WORDS will be:

Although and unlicensed tour guide may be a Great Guide - you couldn't call him "reputable" because he is breaking the law!

Well obviously I hit a nerve since you have started name calling.

This back and forth between us started when I posted the information that New York licenses its tour guides. I also added a link for those who might want to check if their tour guide was indeed licensed and therefore operating legally. To SOME people that matters. To others - obviously not.

And happily for you and all others who are now bored with this topic my LAST WORDS will be:

Although and unlicensed tour guide may be a Great Guide - you couldn't call him "reputable" because he is breaking the law!

drivel. So anyone who breaks a law is disreputable and anyone who follows a registration law isn't. Tell it to Berny Madoff. you obviously never speed(which kills many more people than someone who isn't a registered tour guide..) and of course the founding fathers were the most disreputable of all. There many reputable unlicensed tour guides but you aren't required to use them.

• 1 month later...
I just made reservations with Black Car Transportation based on information from other cc posters. Communicated via email and very quick to respond and seemed nice. Haven't used them myself but others gave good reviews...http://www.blackexecutivecars.com/

How did you make out with Black executive cars? We are looking at them for a Hotel in NJ to Cape Liberty?

Archived