Dissecting a squid? Really?

latterdayesther

I've read in two places now-one article on kid's faciliities here on Cruise Critic, that the kids in the Princess program study conservation onboard, even dissecting a squid.

Has anyone had a child in the Princess kid's clubs dissect a squid?

Just curious...

latterdayesther :confused:

I am curious as well. I will let you, leaving in 9 days.

Maybe it's just me but I am not sure that is the funnest thing I can imagine. Do you they trust these kids with knives.

I know in the teen center they have the game consoles and a huge screen for Wii.

For the younger kids do they have the late, late night slumber party

Do the kids go to the shows with the kids program

Do they have a scavenger hunt for the teens

What about a kids dance club and karaoke

Did your kids like the program because they thought you were going to do something that would embarrass them for life if they were around?

Personally I did not think entering a wining the pool dance contest was that bad:D Being the judge for the &*&*& contest was a fluke.

Details please, 9 days and counting:D:D:D

Yep, my daughter dissected a squid on the Sapphire Princess Alaska cruise, either in 2008 or 2007. She says, and I quote: "It was kind of disgusting but kind of fun." (This isn't an unusual activity -- her public school offered an after-school Sea Exploration enrichment class that has squid dissecting as one of its activities every session.)

My daughter was almost 9 on her first Alaskan cruise and almost 10 on her second. She loved the Kids' Club on both! It's one of the reasons I'm sticking with Princess. She has fun with the counselors and has pen pals all over the U.S. from kids she met there.

My daughter says the only times everybody left the Kids' Club was either to have dinner together in the Horizon Court or to go to the disco for the kids' disco party. They've never offered a full-ship scavenger hunt or galley tour or cooking class/demonstration.

I've read in two places now-one article on kid's faciliities here on Cruise Critic, that the kids in the Princess program study conservation onboard, even dissecting a squid.

Has anyone had a child in the Princess kid's clubs dissect a squid?

Just curious...

latterdayesther :confused:

Yes my daughter has been in the program when they disected a squid. She thought it was cool.

For the younger kids do they have the late, late night slumber party

They usually have a PJ Party on the last evening during regular program hours (7 to 10 p.m.)

Do the kids go to the shows with the kids program

Not usually on Princess.

Do they have a scavenger hunt for the teens

They often have a scavenger hunt onboard that is not part of the kids program but is designed for adults and families. Kids can participate with parents.

What about a kids dance club and karaoke

Princess usually offers at least one karaoke night in the kids club and one evening where they have a dance party at Skywalkers before it opens to adults. There is also usually a talent show for the kids as well.

Did your kids like the program because they thought you were going to do something that would embarrass them for life if they were around?

My kids love the program and they also like hanging out with us. We usually find a nice balance of family activities and kids program time.

Personally I did not think entering a wining the pool dance contest was that bad:D Being the judge for the &*&*& contest was a fluke.

Details please, 9 days and counting:D:D:D

Your kids will love Princess. It has a great balance of fun activities for the entire family which allow you to have fun together and individually.

Your kids will love Princess. It has a great balance of fun activities for the entire family which allow you to have fun together and individually.

We are really excited about this trip. I have plans for afternoon tea with DD, while DH enjoys his afternoon nap. I don't know about the squid but I know my DD will enjoy it. As for DS, what he enjoys depends on who he is trying to impress;) I can tell what's up by how much of the Axe body spray he is wearing:eek:

Thanks

9 days and counting!

We are really excited about this trip. I have plans for afternoon tea with DD, while DH enjoys his afternoon nap. I don't know about the squid but I know my DD will enjoy it. As for DS, what he enjoys depends on who he is trying to impress;) I can tell what's up by how much of the Axe body spray he is wearing:eek:

Thanks

9 days and counting!

DD and I really enjoy going to Afternoon Tea. It is our mother/daughter time. It is one of my favorite things about Princess. The warm, freshly baked scones with cream and jam are soooo yummy!

I remembered my daughter talking about it after our last two cruises so I just asked her just now and here's her answer:

Yes, it was interesting but gross. You have to be careful not to cut into the ink sac. (I have to point out that she and her father have dissected dead insects found in the yard before that. And she was in a science/math/technology magnet that had a regular science lab every other week, so she tends to be into science activities anyway)

Princess has an arrangement with the California Science Center to provide itinerary-related science activities. On our first Princess cruise, there were few kids so they didn't do any of the science activities, but each kid got a beanie animal. On our Alaskan cruise, the kids made models of glaciers (my girl was 7 and in the middle group, then the Pirateers) as one of the science activities. I seem to remember they also made a model of the solar system. On our Hawaiian cruise (she was 8), there were activities that were related to Hawaii.

On that cruise, the kids were taken by the counselors to one show on our Honolulu day...a local kids' hula group comes onboard to give a show. We missed it, but the girl and everyone else we knew who went loved it.

The kids did do a "passenger scavenger hunt" where they went around the ship in pairs and got passengers to sign off on various traits or likes/dislikes. She and her partner found us at the end of their hunt so hubby was able to sign off on "plays chess." I couldn't sign on the two that we left (she's honest so she said I wouldn't be able to anyway): "hates pineapple" and "wears dentures."

There is a kids' dinner in the Horizon Court once or twice during the cruise. One side gets closed for a "private party." You drop off your kids there at 7pm and afterwards the counselors will walk them over to the fun zone.

The girl went to the kids' program probably every day, even though she often skipped it to go swimming.

Pauline,

My nephew is about the same age as your son, if using Axe is any indication. He buddied up on the last cruise and did a scavanger hunt with the youth club. He did a lot there since we rarely saw him unless it was time to eat.

The younger group had lots of activities also, my sister showed me the sheet and wished we had such fun things to do. I think one was roller coaster building. Saw more of the younger boy, but he was always going off for a shuffle board date with a friend he met in the kids club.

Archived