Swim Diapers - only ok on Carnival?

chaloop

What is it about Half Moon Cay? I've been to the port twice without kids, but never remember seeing a sign. Do they seriously not allow children with swim diapers at the beach??

The beach is different from the pool. All God's see creatures poop in the ocean - so feel free to do so! The pool, as explained above is not a natural environment with huge amounts of water to deal with the bacteria.

Ah, but you see--that is against the rules too. They don't discriminate based on age. The rule applies to all passengers who are incontinent or have "potty problems."

(Yeah, I know you're no doubt joking; just thought I'd mention the actual regulation.)

beachchick

Really!? Gee, I didn't know! Thanks for the clarification beachchick! I'm 'relieved' to know what the 'scoop' is!;) So much for our Senior pool parties.

Would the term party pooper be appropriate?:)

(Life is too short! Have fun! Laugh!)

Only Disney and certain RCCL cruises have baby splash zones. The other posters are right, its against regulations on Carnival but you will see it especially in the waterworks spray area.

Does this mean that the babies are splashing in each other's feces laden water?

DON

I just wish people would obey the rules even if they don't agree with them. Last cruise on the Liberty of the Seas an 18 month old had an accident(#2)and they had to shut the entire splash park down. Last day of the cruise and a sea day with 100's of little one's with nowhere to play because this lady didn't think it was fair that her little one couldn't play in the water too!

It was really a shame because our other sea day was rainy. I talked to a lot of mom's who saved for a year or more to go on a larger ship with splash park. Their only opportunity to use the splash park ended at 10:30am because one lady didn't like the rule.

They should have made the parents of the child with the accident drink large quantities of the water he/she fouled.

DON

I swim in my Depends and no one has ever complained!:D

I have to laugh about this because my mom spends the winters at a retirement community in AZ that has the no swim diapered kids in the pool rule too. My sister and I always point out that my dd would probably not be the only one in that pool that uses diapers, lol.

My friend tried to tell me to just take my dd into the pool on the cruise with no diaper and nobody would know. I reminded her that I did not want to be the lady that caused the entire pool to shut down for cleaning when her kid pooped in the pool. I don't think I'm willing to risk having 3400 passengers hate me for the next 7 days.

I have to laugh about this because my mom spends the winters at a retirement community in AZ that has the no swim diapered kids in the pool rule too. My sister and I always point out that my dd would probably not be the only one in that pool that uses diapers, lol.

My friend tried to tell me to just take my dd into the pool on the cruise with no diaper and nobody would know. I reminded her that I did not want to be the lady that caused the entire pool to shut down for cleaning when her kid pooped in the pool. I don't think I'm willing to risk having 3400 passengers hate me for the next 7 days.

You could probably get away with it if she laid a 'sinker'. Look out if it's a floater!

( I just love this site and the wonderful discussions)!:D

My friend tried to tell me to just take my dd into the pool on the cruise with no diaper and nobody would know.

That was a common solution for people the last time I sailed. When folks were told that there were no swimmers or diapers allowed in the pool, no problem -- they just whipped off those diapers/swimmers. And these were young kids....not more than a year old. They felt they were abiding by the rules. And, I guess, technically they were. Sometimes we need to be careful what we wish for!

Does this mean that the babies are splashing in each other's feces laden water?

DON

To a point, yes. On Royal Caribbean and Disney, they have installed a special filtration system that does follow CDC guidelines and that's why they are able to have those baby splash zones. The water is only a couple of inches deep. So certain safety precautions are in effect that allows those two cruise lines to have those areas. Carnival doesn't have them.

To a point, yes. On Royal Caribbean and Disney, they have installed a special filtration system that does follow CDC guidelines and that's why they are able to have those baby splash zones. The water is only a couple of inches deep. So certain safety precautions are in effect that allows those two cruise lines to have those areas. Carnival doesn't have them.

Need a little help her will be a new grandma and going to take the whole family on a cruise sooooo Freedom class and Disney still have a baby splash zone???? Could not find this on website. Thanks a million.

Need a little help her will be a new grandma and going to take the whole family on a cruise sooooo Freedom class and Disney still have a baby splash zone???? Could not find this on website. Thanks a million.

Yep, Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas and now Oasis of the Seas have a "Baby Splash Zone" within the H20 zone that is specifically for babies in diapers. They will actually kick out children who are NOT in diapers. ;) So they do monitor this area. I have pictures of this area, if you want some, let me know and I will repost them.

Then on Disney Magic and Disney Wonder, they have the same type of area. It has a Mickey Fantasia Hat with some spray water. It is for babies in diapers.

They are the only ships that have special CDC allowances for this type of usage.

That was a common solution for people the last time I sailed. When folks were told that there were no swimmers or diapers allowed in the pool, no problem -- they just whipped off those diapers/swimmers. And these were young kids....not more than a year old. They felt they were abiding by the rules. And, I guess, technically they were. Sometimes we need to be careful what we wish for!

Hmmmmmm. Should I just discard my Depends?:eek:

It's not the pee that's the problem. It's the, um, solid "other" stuff. Swim diapers can often keep in solids, but the bacteria and other pathogens cannot be contained and leach into the water. In large public pools on land, you have two things going for you that you don't have on cruise ships: Very large volume of water to dilute contamination and extreme filtration with high chemical levels. Even with those advantages, there are news stories every year about 100 or 200 or more people who get ill from exposure to pathogens (some of them very serious, especially to young children) while swimming in public pools or water parks. Ship pools are small and do not have the same level of filtration or chemicals as pools on land. That's why the CDC and health dept regulations are so strict for cruise ships.

beachchick

Now, it makes sense.....They don't have the chems or filtration....ok, now I get it....

I have been off the Carnival Dream for exactly 54 hours....I chose not to put mine in a swim diaper, we are pretty much potty trained, and knew we wouldnt have an issue with.....#2....

However, there were swim- and regular-diapered children EVERYWHERE....both pools (sunset & lido deck) and the water works area. the signs say ONLY TOILET TRAINED CHILDREN (or something like that) but people paid no attention to it.

Yep, Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas and now Oasis of the Seas have a "Baby Splash Zone" within the H20 zone that is specifically for babies in diapers. They will actually kick out children who are NOT in diapers. ;) So they do monitor this area. I have pictures of this area, if you want some, let me know and I will repost them.

Then on Disney Magic and Disney Wonder, they have the same type of area. It has a Mickey Fantasia Hat with some spray water. It is for babies in diapers.

They are the only ships that have special CDC allowances for this type of usage.

Michele, you are a doll, thanks for the info and so fast. Could I please ask one more question. On the Oasis it has a nursery, is there a age limit??? Or I guess at what age can you place a baby in there??? Again thanks for all your help.

I have been off the Carnival Dream for exactly 54 hours....I chose not to put mine in a swim diaper, we are pretty much potty trained, and knew we wouldnt have an issue with.....#2....

However, there were swim- and regular-diapered children EVERYWHERE....both pools (sunset & lido deck) and the water works area. the signs say ONLY TOILET TRAINED CHILDREN (or something like that) but people paid no attention to it.

Yep, and the Carnival crew do nothing to stop it. Sad that it will take a child getting sick and making headlines before they will be forced to do something about it. Those pools do not have the same kind of chemical treatments that land based pools do.

Michele, you are a doll, thanks for the info and so fast. Could I please ask one more question. On the Oasis it has a nursery, is there a age limit??? Or I guess at what age can you place a baby in there??? Again thanks for all your help.

The Oasis nursery is for 6 months to 36 months. :)

The water works area really doesn't make sense, since the child wouldn't be sitting in standing water. I went on the inspiration in 2008 and I don't remember standing water around the spray park except for the slides. I may be wrong...

Motivation for me to make sure my son is completely potty trained by March ;)

ETA: Off topic but why does my # of posts say only 1...i know I havent been on here for a while...but I use to post a lot in 2008....guess it deleted them?

Edited by CrusinMommy2C

The water works area really doesn't make sense, since the child wouldn't be sitting in standing water. I went on the inspiration in 2008 and I don't remember standing water around the spray park except for the slides. I may be wrong...

Motivation for me to make sure my son is completely potty trained by March ;)

ETA: Off topic but why does my # of posts say only 1...i know I havent been on here for a while...but I use to post a lot in 2008....guess it deleted them?

It depends on where that water goes after its sprayed. Is it just recirculated and sprayed back into the air? So let's say a child has a leaky diaper with poop in it? The water goes down into the drain and is rerouted back up through the pipes and sprayed back out without filtration. :eek: ewwwwww....lol. Get my point? :D

The Disney and RCCL small baby pools had to have a strict filtration system in place. And its not even available on all Royal Caribbean ships, just 4 of them. So they were probably pretty costly.

And your posts say 18 now. Did you have more than that?

It depends on where that water goes after its sprayed. Is it just recirculated and sprayed back into the air? So let's say a child has a leaky diaper with poop in it? The water goes down into the drain and is rerouted back up through the pipes and sprayed back out without filtration. :eek: ewwwwww....lol. Get my point? :D

The Disney and RCCL small baby pools had to have a strict filtration system in place. And its not even available on all Royal Caribbean ships, just 4 of them. So they were probably pretty costly.

And your posts say 18 now. Did you have more than that?

Ok, I get what you are saying.

About my posts...yeah probably have 200 before...havent posted in a year though...strange.