Is a fairly comfortable bed too much to ask for?

Renorita

Just got off the Legend and had a great time. We had a standard outside cabin and the mattress was not at all comfortable. I rarely complained about anything, in fact did not even mention it on the comment card, but am curious to know if you have to have a more expensive cabin to get better mattresses? :confused:

I don't rembember our balconey cabin on the Sun Princess being that uncomfortable. We will be sailing on the Oosterdam next October in a Superior S suite (got a great deal!):D and the HAL posts mention comfortable beds and feather pillows in the suites. Will be the first time on HAL so will be interesting to see.

So lets have a discussion on mattresses. Of course I realize that the comfort of a mattress varies from one person to another, but this one on the Legend was hard, not just firm.

I've only been on two cruises so far, but this is what I remember about the mattress... I was so tired from all the events of the day, and the sun etc....that I didn't notice what kind of shape the mattress was in. I think I could have slept on the floor and been happy!!!! ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

Maybe you got a brand new mattress, one that hadn't been used or at least not much thus far. I've never had an uncomfortable mattress, but it could happen if they did a mass replacement.
Huh? Would think it would be just the opposite. That mattress needs replacement, not more usage....

Happy holidays....

I've only been on two cruises so far, but this is what I remember about the mattress... I was so tired from all the events of the day, and the sun etc....that I didn't notice what kind of shape the mattress was in. I think I could have slept on the floor and been happy!!!! ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

Thats true, the further into the Cruise the more I got used to it. And DH had no problems, but do men ever have problems sleeping, at least compared to women? I think he could sleep in the shower if there was room. :rolleyes:

I enjoy my own bed, but dont usually have a problem sleeping anywhere. I was just on the Splendour Transatlantic and the first 2 nights my back was killing me from the bed. I tried sleeping on a pillow (didnt work, just made things more uncomfortable). Someone else at our dinner table asked the attendant to put some more blankets under the bottom sheet after the 3rd or 4th night and they said it was much better. It felt like I was sleeping on a rock. After about the 3rd night though I didnt notice it much. Maybe the alcohol and late nights helped hide how uncomfortable it really was. ;)

we have been on the Monarch 3 times and always had a junior suite... the beds were the worst, all 3 of them. I think that the older ships have older mattresses (sp?). The other ships have not been like my own at home but certainly not as bad as on the Monarch.

Denice

We sleep on a waterbed, so everything pales by comparison. Cruise ships have an additional detriment in that folks expect to be able to store their luggage underneath, so they cannot benefit from proper bedding foundation.

We sleep on a waterbed, so everything pales by comparison. Cruise ships have an additional detriment in that folks expect to be able to store their luggage underneath, so they cannot benefit from proper bedding foundation.

You must not have back problems then. I tossed my waterbed with the expensive fiber filled, no wave mattress out a couple of years ago because I could no longer walk in the mornings. We purchased a very nice and supporative pillow top mattress and I can now get around in the morning like I used to.

As to the OP, the worst matress we've had has been in the JS so I wouldn't say the beds get any better as the cost of the cabin goes higher. Perhaps if you're in an owners suite or higher? For us it's always been the two hard plastic cots with the 1 or 2 inch foam matress on top.

Someone said maybe the older ships had the older matresses and the newer ships might be bette? The Explorer is the newest ship we've sailed and had the most worn out matress of the bunch. In fact, it had two very pronounced scooped out sections where all the previous cruisers had been laying. Either that or the people right before us had enough body mass to permanently squish the mattress into the contour of their own bodies.

The quality of bedding has always been my one complaint about cruising with RCI but, I still manage to sleep reasonably well and it's not bad enough to stop me from booking future cruises. ;)

On most Royal Caribbean ships, I don't believe they use a standard mattress. I think it's just a single layer of foam which is covered and placed on a movable frame. This is one reason why Royal Caribbean beds tend to sag in the middle. The foam gets worn out rather quickly. It's also very easy to shape. Ever notice how Royal Caribbean beds are curved at the bottom? They are not a perfect rectangle like a normal mattress. It's very easy to cut foam into any shape! I do admit having the curved mattresses at the bottom gives slightly more floor space.

Other cruise lines use real mattresses, although not all. Holland America is in the process of replacing all their beds with real, high quality mattresses (along with premium bed linens). Sounds nice!

Ernie

Renorita, Am taking RCCL first time on Jewel in January, but did HAL last May on Zuiderdam in S suite. Was WONDERFUL. Room - huge, balcony - huge, wonderful living room space AND the mattresses were heavenly with big down like comforters. You'll sleep like a baby. Don't know if all the cabins on HAL had the same mattresses (I would tend to think so, minus the down-like comforters), but the ones in our Suite were just super. Enjoy!

Renorita, Am taking RCCL first time on Jewel in January, but did HAL last May on Zuiderdam in S suite. Was WONDERFUL. Room - huge, balcony - huge, wonderful living room space AND the mattresses were heavenly with big down like comforters. You'll sleep like a baby. Don't know if all the cabins on HAL had the same mattresses (I would tend to think so, minus the down-like comforters), but the ones in our Suite were just super. Enjoy!

Thank you for that info. sounds Good! So far we are booked on SS suite but hope to get upgraded to the S suite. Even so, I think it did say something about nice linens besides the feather pillow, and something about pillow top mattresses. Not sure if it applies to our catagory, but am encouraged to know that it may be better than the one we had on the legend. Have a great Cruise on the Jewel, I love RCCL (except for the mattress) and sleep well! :)

And Lenora, you are welcome to the one I had. And they may sell it to you for a good price! :D

On most Royal Caribbean ships, I don't believe they use a standard mattress. I think it's just a single layer of foam which is covered and placed on a movable frame. This is one reason why Royal Caribbean beds tend to sag in the middle. The foam gets worn out rather quickly. It's also very easy to shape. Ever notice how Royal Caribbean beds are curved at the bottom? They are not a perfect rectangle like a normal mattress. It's very easy to cut foam into any shape! I do admit having the curved mattresses at the bottom gives slightly more floor space.

Other cruise lines use real mattresses, although not all. Holland America is in the process of replacing all their beds with real, high quality mattresses (along with premium bed linens). Sounds nice!

Ernie

The most comfortable bed that I have had on a cruise was on the Fantasy of Carnival last year just after she went through her major refurbishment. They actually used a real mattress and you could tell the difference along with those upgraded linens, pillows and duvets.

I hear that they are putting Euro-Sealy pillow-top mattresses on the HAL ships. Some of the posters have slept on them and they were so comfortable, that they tried to order those particular ones from the company for home use. No luck though, they were told that these were exclusively for the HAL ships! :( That is strange as they could make a lot of money! It's not like people are going to stop cruising because they have one of their mattresses at home. :D

Renorita.. something that wasn't mentioned on the HAL mattress discussion was that you can pre-order those "egg crate" type of coverings for mattresses in advance. Now.. I cruise many different lines so I can't always remember which ones offer what, but it doesn't hurt to put in a request for one through Ship Services if needed. I think it was Princess that had a request sheet and they had "bed board" listed as an option. It would be nice if all lines catered to those with back issues to make them more comfortable :)

I'm with Doug. The worst mattress I ever had on a ship was last March on the Explorer. I finally cornered the hotel manager at the cocktail party for platnium and diamond cruisers, and we had new mattress within the hour.

Except for the one time we had a Sky Suite on Celebrity, all mattresses are fair at best. That's one area they sure could improve on from my perspective. On one cruise, can't remember which one now, it appeared that the cabin steward had pre-made our bed for the entire week. First night the bed was soft. Each night he took another layer of sheets and blankets off the bed, so by the last night, all that was left was one sheet and a very thin uncomfortable mattress!

Have a feeling since sleeping on a Tempurpedic king size bed ,we are not going to like the ship mattresses.........oh well,small price to pay,I suppose!!:rolleyes:

We have a Temperpedic too and love it; we suggested on our last comment card that RCCL enter an agreement with the Tempurpedic, do a mass purchase, and sell them on the side like Westin does with their "Heavenly Bed." It would be easy to replace the old foam with the Tempur material. But I guess that would make too much sense.....

RCCL doesn't have real mattresses???:eek: I've always said the best sleep I ever get is on a cruise, but that was on CCL.

I love the dark inside cabins, gental rocking motion, and white noise of the engines...ZZZzzzzzz......:D

Archived