NCL Jade: courtyard now open to all suites

jonbrealey

This whole situation seems to bear out what I suggested earlier: The Jade is NCL's experimental lab. "I know, we'll run it up the Jade's flagpole, and if it...." One isn't reassured by this not-so-little contretemps.

I wholeheartedly agree with the poster(s) who claim some kind of generous compensatory gesture toward the GV, OS, and CV passengers, a week of whose vacation has been more than slightly compromised by some paradigm of the Peter Principle at corporate in Miami.

Dear Valued Guests,

We appreciate your feedback on the current test taking place on select ships which gave all suite guests access to our courtyard villa complex. Our research had previously shown that the courtyard villa complex was not being utilized to its fullest potential and therefore we wanted to conduct this test which was intended to take place during the current cruise only and will end at the conclusion of the sailing.

Our on-board staff has been closely monitoring guest usage and reaction to this test. They have been sharing information and feedback with our shoreside team. At Norwegian Cruise Line, we are passionate about innovation and, therefore, we are constantly working on ways to add value to the Freestyle experience. We listen to all of our guests’ feedback and want to thank you for your input.

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Line

Thank you NCL for the response. :)

Dear Valued Guests,

We appreciate your feedback on the current test taking place on select ships which gave all suite guests access to our courtyard villa complex. Our research had previously shown that the courtyard villa complex was not being utilized to its fullest potential and therefore we wanted to conduct this test which was intended to take place during the current cruise only and will end at the conclusion of the sailing.

Our on-board staff has been closely monitoring guest usage and reaction to this test. They have been sharing information and feedback with our shoreside team. At Norwegian Cruise Line, we are passionate about innovation and, therefore, we are constantly working on ways to add value to the Freestyle experience. We listen to all of our guests’ feedback and want to thank you for your input.

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Line

Oh the irony.... The reason many of us book the Courtyard is because it is exclusive... therefore UNDER UTILISED....... I cant believe that you even put it to trial after the effort you have gone to promoting it as such an exclusive concept!!!!!!! Truely bizarre.....

One can divine another possible reason for this "experiment." Suppose, at the end of the week, all non-GV, OS, and CV pax are given a questionnaire: Did you use the CY this past week? Did you enjoy it? How often did you use it? When did you use it? How many members of your party utlized the CY? Would you be likely to use it again, if the opportunity arose? Would you pay for the privilege of using the CY? per person? per party? per day? per usage? per voyage? Would you purchase a "Courtyard Package," if such were available? Then, imagine, NCL institutes a new program: "NCL's Early-Booking Bonus! Book and pay for your voyage ___ months before the stated final date of payment, and, for only $___ more per person, you will be rewarded with a Courtyard Pass for each member of your party! Restrictions may apply."

Or some other like "incentive" program.

Since I've been looking forward to moving up to the suite experience on NCL, I've been watching this thread with a great deal of interest. I hope it all works out.

Just a thought. My first cruise on NCL was in a mini suite on the Jewel. I knew there would be no suite perks, except at the time it was advertised that mini suites would have use of the conceirge. That was not true because of all the minis on the Jewel class. That false advertising continued for quite a while.

This whole situation seems to bear out what I suggested earlier: The Jade is NCL's experimental lab. "I know, we'll run it up the Jade's flagpole, and if it...." One isn't reassured by this not-so-little contretemps.

That definitely explains why the fixed menu experiment is being conducted on the Dawn. :rolleyes:

Dear Valued Guests,

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Line

This a poorly written statement giving nothing but lip service to a poorly thought out test---the Court Yard's are suppose to be secluded--exclusive and by nature under utilized. The shore side team needs some serious management attention if they keep making management decisions like this.

Big Green

Dear Valued Guests,

This a poorly written statement giving nothing but lip service to a poorly thought out test---the Garden Villa's are suppose to be secluded--exclusive and by nature under utilized. The shore side team needs some serious management attention if they keep making management decisions like this.

Big Green

This test did not impact the GV's as they have their private areas for all that the CY offers except for the small pool.

This test did not impact the GV's as they have their private areas for all that the CY offers except for the small pool.

Looks like BG's comments were "poorly written". :rolleyes:

Not only that the "shore side team" IS management.

Not all of the shore side team are in management

positions. Why do you say that??

Big green

Because you wrote this:

The shore side team needs some serious management attention if they keep making management decisions like this

By the way, you might want to think twice about commenting on someone else's work being poorly written.

Because you wrote this:

The shore side team needs some serious management attention if they keep making management decisions like this

By the way, you might want to think twice about commenting on someone else's work being poorly written.

Ok I will take that as a suggestion--but I am no corporate writer that wrote the NCL excuse==when I said poor I was referring to the justification or lack of for the trial test-- I was not referring to the english or grammar. So maybe I should have stated it more clearly--anyway NCL's statement has poor reasoning and justification.

Big Green--

PS thanks for the english lesson:)

Also got the call from Mr. Sheehan's executive assistant reassuring us that the action was only a one week test and as a result of the reaction, no considered successful. I hope they make good for the pax in those higher suites that had to share the perks that they paid for.

Well, if this was a "test" I wonder what they were testing?

• How high-end passengers react to being scr*wed?
  • How much stress can the CY butler can stand?
  • Does the Assistant Hotel Director know how to "dance" around an issue?
  • Does Kevin Sheehans email system work?
  • Do passengers really like getting something for nothing?
  • How long does it take for that small pool in the CY to become poluted when it is fully-utilized?
  • Can the pursers office handle the earned refunds?
  • Should we not allow Internet Access to passengers so that they cannot complain "shore side" until they get home?
  • Does anybody on CC really read the threads?

I am very happy to see NCL post here. I know they read the NCL boards. They have to realize that a great percentage of us are so active here because NCL is our cruiseline of choice.

So, NCL please accept my suggestion that any "tests" should be fully explained to anyone who should be negatively affected, in advance. It is obvious the OP was caught completely off guard, and I sympathize with him and other CY pax.

Matter resolved, I thank you. I will hang onto my NCL pompoms.

Not so. We were in a GV last year and though we didn't use the Courtyard/Sundeck areas and amenities a lot, we did use some aspects of them every day (and to clarify, I'm not against more cabins having access to these areas, just saying GV occupants often do use these areas too as they offer different pluses/dimensions.)

Cheers,

~Joyce

I am very happy to see NCL post here. I know they read the NCL boards. They have to realize that a great percentage of us are so active here because NCL is our cruiseline of choice.

So, NCL please accept my suggestion that any "tests" should be discussed with anyone who should be negatively affected, in advance. It is obvious the OP was caught completely off guard, and I sympathize with him, and think you owe him and other CY pax big time. Had you performed your due diligence prior to this cruise, this thread might never have been started and escalated. Or maybe it helped the test. Regardless, thank you. I will hang onto my NCL pompoms.[/quote

Well stated. I agree except for the pompoms--they have been making too many decisions lately that have customer impact without determining the impact on current cruisers before they change their policy ( even for a week). I will keep the pompoms in the closet until they get this under control--hopefully with sound management practices.

Big Green

Dear Valued Guests,

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Line

Thanks for the post and explanation, but I would like definitive confirmation, that this test was deemed a failure, and that courtyard access will be as advertised, when I put my $3000 deposit down so many months ago, for my November cruise. I would also hope to hear from those impacted, in later posts, that they were adequately compensated, for this (non) thought out test.

Al

Just like PeteSweet I don't have a dog in this fight either, but as much as an NCL cheerleader I have been accused of being, this is literally the worst decision NCL has ever made towards suite guest relations that I know of. We always sail in AE's/AD's so again, not my fight, but I am offended for those who are CY's and GV's this week on the Jade. I don't know much more to say. I know NCL has said it was a one week test, etc etc, but this one really takes the cake in my book.

Dear Valued Guests,

Regards,

Norwegian Cruise Line

Please pass our congratulations on to who ever had this brilliant idea. I can not tell you how sickened I feel for the CY and GV guest on the Jade this week who purchased their cruise in good faith that they would have the Courtyard to themselves. What could NCL possibly do to make this up to them? I can assure you that any money compensation would never make up for the disappointment I had after looking forward to a cruise for months and months and to have it ruined by a "test" of NCL's. Yes we all know that it is in your contract or travel agreement, etc, that NCL can pretty much do any and every thing they want to do and you have to just lay there and take it, but I am just blown away that your company has someone in such authority to make this decison who obvisouly is just stupid.

Doug said I am probably being too harsh, but it is how I feel. It was as close to a slap in the face to those of us who have defended NCL on these boards through thick and thin.

Hi Everyone,

Just to clarify I have been told that all suites except Mini have access, but I have not checked on every grade. The staff are telling me it is a head office change. People are not sure if it is a trial or not.

Clearly for the Epic the new courtyard has been designed to cope with the larger number of suites. On these ships I can tell you that the courtyard can't cope.

Cagneys is the same at breakfast and lunch time.

On a port day (we were in Barcelona today) it is not too busy, it is the sea days that are the problem.

Anyway I decided to do what some of the other posters had suggested and I'm meeting with the hotel director tommorow at 5:30 PM to discuss the issue.

Jonathan

For your meeting tomorrow I'm assuming you have arranged this on your own, if thats the case I would be getting one or two other high end suites guests to join you (go knock on a couple doors if need be)and let them be unannounced to the HD but also make sure youR group is not trying to get a munity going like what happened on one other shipS. But certainly one on one is not what you want for your meeting.

It's esay for HD to tame one animal but not 2 or 3.

Just like PeteSweet I don't have a dog in this fight either, but as much as an NCL cheerleader I have been accused of being, this is literally the worst decision NCL has ever made towards suite guest relations that I know of. We always sail in AE's/AD's so again, not my fight, but I am offended for those who are CY's and GV's this week on the Jade. I don't know much more to say. I know NCL has said it was a one week test, etc etc, but this one really takes the cake in my book.

Please pass our congratulations on to who ever had this brilliant idea. I can not tell you how sickened I feel for the CY and GV guest on the Jade this week who purchased their cruise in good faith that they would have the Courtyard to themselves. What could NCL possibly do to make this up to them? I can assure you that any money compensation would never make up for the disappointment I had after looking forward to a cruise for months and months and to have it ruined by a "test" of NCL's. Yes we all know that it is in your contract or travel agreement, etc, that NCL can pretty much do any and every thing they want to do and you have to just lay there and take it, but I am just blown away that your company has someone in such authority to make this decison who obvisouly is just stupid.

Doug said I am probably being too harsh, but it is how I feel. It was as close to a slap in the face to those of us who have defended NCL on these boards through thick and thin.

I agree 100%.

The only thing they could do, for the limited number of Courtyard guests on the Jade this week, is offer them a free cruise in the Courtyard on some other week....within the next year.

I can't imagine that any other solution would even come close...because the people who have opted to spend the higher $$$, are less likely to be overjoyed at getting the $$$ back! They wanted the benefit of those $$$ and NCL stole that benefit from them.

I don't get it....at all.

Archived