Carnival On-Ship Jewelry Purchase Awareness

Scott_F

Even though they are outside contractors they still represent the carnival name . Carnival doesn't like complaints . call carnival and find out who is in chare of the contract vendors and then give them your complaints in writing and by e mail.

You are so right they don't like complaints right now especially! :eek:

My last cruise was a mess they switched my room without asking! They said it was an upgrade. It was not but they always call me first I have been on a few cruises ya know! The room I was given had mold issues yes black mold from the air coming in the room I was sick for 2 1/2 weeks so was my son. They said too bad more or less

I bought a ring onboard the Liberty in Oct. and got it back mid January after many calls and begging...never again!:mad:

Figured I'd pass this on for what its worth.

I bought my wife a beautiful diamond ring on our late June cruise on Ecstasy. It was our 20th anniv. and she participated in the selection because she's got a pretty good knowledge of diamonds having spent many early years working in a jewelry. (I"m not saying she's an expert, but she's not naive.

So, a bit under $3K. Very good price for what she picked up. The ship store manager offered to send it away for resizing and would mail it back. THe option of her just taking it home to have it resized on our nickel was offered and she decided to do just that. As we're going through our paperwork when we got home, she read the small print in our warranty papers that stated that only Carnival can resize or you void your warranty.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but I wish they had just told her that. Minor complaint 1.

We call the Jewelry division of Carnival and they get us to send it back and offer to reimburse us for the shipping. So far, so good.

Well we have called now several times over the month of July to find out when the ring is coming back. Resizing takes only a few minutes. They have been pretty rude to my wife claiming they have to have the ring re-made completely and it could take up to 12-16 weeks. This is a major complaint grounds for me. I think making my wife wait four months to get her anniversary present back is just crazy.

So, as always. Caveat Emptor. Figured I'd let the rest of you know in case you are considering a ring purchase on your next ship.

Just to complete the story, we've asked about a refund and were refused. (my wife really loves the ring so this wasn't going to be a great option) We've asked about having them expedite it. We were denied. We've actually been quite courteous with them and it has been met with a lot of rude responses. Go figger. I guess my last option is to protest my credit card bill. I will try and give them until the end of August as she really loves the ring. Maybe the "protest" of charges will get them off their butts. Probably not, big corporations tend to not worry about a small purchase (to them, not us!)

Will update the story as it completes itself.

Sorry about your bad experience with the on board shop. I have a Citizen Eco Drive watch that my mom got me as a Christmas present while on the Liberty in 2006 and still wear it every single day. I love it! (knock on wood), I have had zero problems with it and plan on purchasing another while on my upcoming Freedom cruise in November (so I can get a different color face.. mine is black and I would like a Mother of Pearl or something to change out with). It was $106 on the ship and the similar watches sell for $300 locally.

While on the Miracle, my DH purchased a $400 Swiss watch and it broke a week after we got home. We were ready to be very disappointed with the return policy and dreaded the fight we would have on our hands to get our maoney back. We mailed it to the address listed for returns and within 10 days every penny was put back onto our card! We were pleasantly surprised!

Again, I am very sorry you are having such a hard time with them, but so far, we have had excellent luck with them (again... knock on wood)...

If and when you get the ring back just make sure it is the same one. I would have it appraised again with a jeweler you know and trust. Diamonds can be switched out. Hope this is not the case, but I would have it checked out.

Three to four months to get the ring back is about what I experienced too. I bought two rings with opal inlay and they told me they had to be sent back to Taiwan (I think) to be totally rebuilt. I called many times for updates and eventually I did get them both back in good shape. But it was sure a disappointment not to have my new rings to admire for so long! Hang in there and keep on them for updates!

• 2 weeks later...
Even though they are outside contractors they still represent the carnival name . Carnival doesn't like complaints . call carnival and find out who is in chare of the contract vendors and then give them your complaints in writing and by e mail.

Crazy Cajun, thank you for this advice. I called Carnival Customer Care and got them involved. 3 CCL cruises in 13 months on our part. Customer Care was bending over backwards to assist and made some calls to the Starboard folks for me. That was all it took. Ring is to be delivered today by Fed Ex.

Lately when I'd call the ring company, I could never get a live person to answer. Carnival Customer Care had no such problems. Gotta love it.

Alls well that hopefully will end well when we get the ring tonight.

I bought my wife a beautiful diamond ring on our late June cruise on Ecstasy. It was our 20th anniv. and she participated in the selection because she's got a pretty good knowledge of diamonds having spent many early years working in a jewelry. (I"m not saying she's an expert, but she's not naive.

So, a bit under $3K. Very good price for what she picked up. The ship store manager offered to send it away for resizing and would mail it back. THe option of her just taking it home to have it resized on our nickel was offered and she decided to do just that. As we're going through our paperwork when we got home, she read the small print in our warranty papers that stated that only Carnival can resize or you void your warranty.

I don't necessarily have a problem with that, but I wish they had just told her that. Minor complaint 1.

We call the Jewelry division of Carnival and they get us to send it back and offer to reimburse us for the shipping. So far, so good.

Well we have called now several times over the month of July to find out when the ring is coming back. Resizing takes only a few minutes. They have been pretty rude to my wife claiming they have to have the ring re-made completely and it could take up to 12-16 weeks. This is a major complaint grounds for me. I think making my wife wait four months to get her anniversary present back is just crazy.

So, as always. Caveat Emptor. Figured I'd let the rest of you know in case you are considering a ring purchase on your next ship.

Just to complete the story, we've asked about a refund and were refused. (my wife really loves the ring so this wasn't going to be a great option) We've asked about having them expedite it. We were denied. We've actually been quite courteous with them and it has been met with a lot of rude responses. Go figger. I guess my last option is to protest my credit card bill. I will try and give them until the end of August as she really loves the ring. Maybe the "protest" of charges will get them off their butts. Probably not, big corporations tend to not worry about a small purchase (to them, not us!)

We bought my husband an expensive watch on one of the ships. The waterproof watch had a defect in the seal and so we sent it back. I was sure they lost it or something because of the amount of time it took to get it back, took a couple months, but it came back and was fixed correctly, we got great prices for good quality merchandise, the end!!!

I guess it depends on the way you look at it, but perhaps buying something on the ship is not for you, we really didn't mind the wait, but I will admit it was a LONG wait. They have lots of ships and sell a lot of stuff, so I guess maybe they can expand the service area and raise prices or we can wait longer to get stuff replaced, I vote for the second option.

Good luck!!! Carole

I would not buy jewelry on a cruise ship ever. Im not diamond expert to know the quality. I have seen the stuff on my last cruise. The biggest rip-off is the 'by the inch" fake gold and silver chains. People line up for it.

The price isnt even a bargain!!:p

ahhhhhhhhh but it's stated that it's gold plated jewelry, so at least they tell you that up front.

I just have to laugh when I see all the women pushing in the long lines to get at the inch of gold sales:rolleyes:

Wife reports appraisals were about 40% higher than actual paid price. One of the jewelers offered to buy it from here for amount paid. This is someone locally with a great reputation.

On resizing locally/warranty issue, this ring has a lot of smaller diamonds in the setting. The warranty covers any of these ever falling out. There was something about the way the diamonds were mounted that would have made it difficult for local jewelers to mount replacement diamonds. Not sure what. This difficulty could also have something to do with resizing? Not sure on that.

Even if they had to melt down the gold and start over completely from scratch, 4 months is ridiculous in my opinion. We'll never buy another thing from a ship's store like this. Had we been told this 4 month thing, we'd have never purchased it.

We are in the process of booking a quick getaway later this month. This customer service issue is putting Carnival in last place behind RCCL and NCL. We're not wanting to put any more of our money in their pockets until we get this issue settled to our satisfaction.

My husband also bought me a beautiful ring on the Legend and it was appraised for 35% higher than what local prices are.

Maybe they did remake the ring, if so that would be better for your wife, a resizing can weaken the band, so maybe it'll be all worth it in the end???

I admit it was my husband that had to live without his new watch for months, not me living without my beautiful ring, so I could be jaded:D

Still such great value!!! I get so many complements on my ring, it's so perfect.

I still say it'd be worth it to me.

Carole

Wife bought a caribbean topaz in Grand Cayman a few years ago that she has people she doesn't even know stop her and ask her about. I guess that makes you ladies feel pretty good. :)

I hope this one is the same. You don't get your 20th anniversary more than once.

Wife bought a caribbean topaz in Grand Cayman a few years ago that she has people she doesn't even know stop her and ask her about. I guess that makes you ladies feel pretty good. :)

I hope this one is the same. You don't get your 20th anniversary more than once.

Makes us feel soooooooooooo good!!!

I truly hope it is one in the same also, and you're right the 20th only comes once.

Just dont' give up hope, it really did take a couple months to get the Tissot watch he bought back, but it's been perfect ever since (bout 3 years with no difficulties) So breath deeply and call the customer service for a little nudge to them.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!!

Carole

I am deeply sorry. You have a valid complaint and it sounds like you are handling it with much class.

Despite the fact that your wife is somewhat knowledgeable in regard to diamonds, I can't imagine purchasing one this way....maybe I'm just paranoid.

Even back when I was VERY young and I got engaged, we chose a diamond from a reputable, well known jeweler and still had it appraised elsewhere to make sure we had gotten what we paid for.

Getting any expensive jewelry is just something I wouldn't do on a cruise ship.

Woops, never mind...read further and saw appraisal numbers.

Just an FYI, check your home owners insurance policy for coverage of lost or damaged rings; our covers DWs.

Most insurance companies offer a Rider...for jewelry, that has to be purchased seperately in addition to your regular insurance.

I agree.. and got mine :)

Got the pro popcorn popper for this anniversary... which is today!

Hurray!

Happy Anniversary Toni!!!

And Scott, I'm glad you got everything settled!!

Wow, sounds like an ordeal. Sorry you are dealing with that. We had a different experience.

My partner and I bought rings on the Conquest this past April.

We were told that we just needed to send them to the 'company' (there was directions and and address provided) and they will size them. We were not given the option of Conquest sending them off, we carried them off the ship (along with the 'cirtificate') and sent them off along with all the paperwork via FedEx,(of course). We were told (appx) 10 week turn around. No worries, no problems.

Wow, sounds like an ordeal. Sorry you are dealing with that. We had a different experience.

My partner and I bought rings on the Conquest this past April.

We were told that we just needed to send them to the 'company' (there was directions and and address provided) and they will size them. We were not given the option of Conquest sending them off, we carried them off the ship (along with the 'cirtificate') and sent them off along with all the paperwork via FedEx,(of course). We were told (appx) 10 week turn around. No worries, no problems.

You are much more patient than we are I guess. 10 weeks is crazy for a resize. Well, my wife has it and is quite happy now. She said she wasn't getting on the Conquest on 8/23 if she didn't have that ring. I think she meant it. :)

And, she'll take it back to our jeweler to have it inspected again. :)

oh yay Scott! Glad to hear the happy ending to your frustrating situation. Can you post a picture of the ring? (well, it's not really necessary, but if you feel like sharing...)

I love ogling the jewellery on the ship, and have always wondered if it's safe to purchase. Sounds like it's high quality stuff, but not easy if it's not the right size to begin with.

You are much more patient than we are I guess. 10 weeks is crazy for a resize. Well, my wife has it and is quite happy now. She said she wasn't getting on the Conquest on 8/23 if she didn't have that ring. I think she meant it. :)

And, she'll take it back to our jeweler to have it inspected again. :)

Glad it worked out for you.

I know 10 weeks is a long time for resize, I just figured, "if I took them to our local shop, sure, Id expect it MUCH sooner, but with this company servicing all the Carnival ships (and probably other cruise lines also) that it was a numbers game. Lots of people buying the 'good deals' onboard, and as we found out, most people would have to have the rings sized, due to the fact that they make most of them in a 'standard size' (6ish) --at least thats what it seemed on the Conquest...most of the rings were the 'same' size, then were resized to fit the customer.

(wow, that was quite a Run-On-Sentence--sorry);)

Anyway, have a good cruise!

Ugh that sucks. Just another reason that women should fall in love with flat screen tv's.

HERE HERE!

On our last cruise in April, 2009, my wife bought a Citizens EcoDrive watch for my birthday from the jewelry store on the Fantasy. It cost around $300.00 and I haven't had any problems with the watch ever since. It is a shame that some people have had a bad experience, but we were thoroughly happy and satisfied with the purchase and the salesman.

To the OP,

Whether or not you make a purchase in St. Thomas, there are shops right in town that can size a ring for you within 1-2 hours max. You can even wait while the ring is being sized.

I bought a white and yellow gold ring in A.H. Rise along with another ring in a different shop. While I was having the second ring sized, I asked about the A.H. Rise ring and was told "No problem. We can do them both." I left both rings and continued to shop and ended up having a pair of hanging earrings converted into a post earring. You guessed it -- same shop did the earrings! Everything was done within the same 1-2 hours. Paid for all 3 pieces on a credit card. The repair shop owner and I had a laugh that I was the same customer for the earrings as well as the rings.

So sometimes it is better to buy off the ship and pay for the sizing and be able to wear the item immediately.

MARAPRINCE

To the OP,

Whether or not you make a purchase in St. Thomas, there are shops right in town that can size a ring for you within 1-2 hours max. You can even wait while the ring is being sized.

I bought a white and yellow gold ring in A.H. Rise along with another ring in a different shop. While I was having the second ring sized, I asked about the A.H. Rise ring and was told "No problem. We can do them both." I left both rings and continued to shop and ended up having a pair of hanging earrings converted into a post earring. You guessed it -- same shop did the earrings! Everything was done within the same 1-2 hours. Paid for all 3 pieces on a credit card. The repair shop owner and I had a laugh that I was the same customer for the earrings as well as the rings.

So sometimes it is better to buy off the ship and pay for the sizing and be able to wear the item immediately.

MARAPRINCE

I was later told these were "channel set diamonds". While I have no idea why that makes resizing more difficult, it appears to be what they claim.

I really think after I got Carnival Customer Relations involved my 4 months estimate evaporated and I had the ring less than a week later.

Wife is happy and we're about to sail away on our 3rd carnival cruise in 13 months. All is well in my world.

I was later told these were "channel set diamonds". While I have no idea why that makes resizing more difficult, it appears to be what they claim.

I really think after I got Carnival Customer Relations involved my 4 months estimate evaporated and I had the ring less than a week later.

Wife is happy and we're about to sail away on our 3rd carnival cruise in 13 months. All is well in my world.

I am NOT an expert,but, I do have a channel set ring...and from what I understand, since the ChannelSet Diamonds are not in traditional 'prong settings', rather set in a 'trench type' setting. It would be more difficult, or touchy I guess, because when they change the curve of the ring, the channel could open or close a bit, thus making the diamonds less stable and requiring more care in sizing.

Thats my guess.

I am NOT an expert,but, I do have a channel set ring...and from what I understand, since the ChannelSet Diamonds are not in traditional 'prong settings', rather set in a 'trench type' setting. It would be more difficult, or touchy I guess, because when they change the curve of the ring, the channel could open or close a bit, thus making the diamonds less stable and requiring more care in sizing.

Thats my guess.

Which I guess is why Carnival's warranty becomes void if anyone but Carnival resizes. Makes sense to me. Wish we'd been told that from the get-go.

Archived