What to do at Freeport, Bahamas? Going on Grandeur soon and can't get any replies on the "port"board

I am sorry- I know this is not on the port board but there have been posts by several members about this port with few replies (I will repay this faux pas by writing a review of the cruise when I get home). We have plans at all the ports except Freeport- very few excursions offered by the ship interest us.
We would like to go to the beach and just relax and were thinking about just going on the Tranquility shores excursion offered by RCCL. Is this a private beach area "run" by the cruise line? Has anyone done this excursion and what is your opinion? Or would you recommend going on your own to Taino beach or near Lucaya? Any info about this, facilities, crowds, taxi's appreciated. This is the only port that is "stumping" us. MO

We went to Port Lucaya (it was a few years ago so I can't tell you anything about the current condition but...) we loved it. The beach was right across the street from the main shopping area so when we got tired of lounging (hard to believe you could get tired of that) we went across the street and shopped. It was a very nice day, I enjoyed it. That was the only time we have been there so I can't answer your other questions (and Lucaya is definetly not a private beach area) but Port Lucaya was nice.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;05;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
NCL Sun...ALASKA

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;10;31;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] Halloween...Explorer of the Seas

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2005;08;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img] Disney Magic Repositioning...Ca-FL

RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 2003; Carnival Spirit 2003; RCCL Brilliance of the Seas 2002; RCCL Voyager of the Seas 2002; Disney Wonder May & Dec 2001; Disney Magic 2001; RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 2000; Disney Magic 1999; Disney Wonder 1999; Carnival Ecstasy 1999; NCL Norway 1998; Carnival Fantasy 1998; NCL Leeward 1997; Commodore Caribe I 1986

The above post is correct. Taxis are pricy though but many share taxis so this makes it less expensive. My hubby actually went on a dive there last month but he booked it himself as Carnival Miracle did not offer any dives.

There is a nice botanical garden but I would not recomend booking it through the ship. We did when on sovereign in 01 and it was I think $30 a person. The price was fine but we were taken to like 3 or 4 straw markets and only had 30 minutes at the botanical garden. I would have rather taken a taxi to the botanicial garden and had a couple of hours to tour it. Besides there was a straw market there also and all the straw markets sell the same things for around the same prices.

Carnival Tropicale 10/15/98 Western Caribbean
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/22/99 Bahamas
Carnival Fascination 09/23/00 Southern caribbean
HAL Statendam 05/20/01 Alaska
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 11/08/01 Bahamas
Pacific Princess 09/29/02 Bermuda
Carnival Inspiration 12/14/03 Western caribbean
Carnival Miracle 04/09/04 Bahamas

We are going to Freeport also but not untill the end of August but I always like to check things out early here is a site you might want to check out. I went there and then just scrolled down to the freeport area and there where all kinds of tours and things. I am looking into Genie's Native Extravaganza. I just emailed them to see if they handle cruise ship guest. Good luck
[url="http://www.the-bahamas-activities.com/"]http://www.the-bahamas-activities.com/[/url]

DISNEY MAGIC 1999
DISNEY WONDER 2000
CARNIVAL VICTORY 2001
CARNIVAL VICTORY 2002
CARNIVAL LEGEND 2003

We will be there in July an we too are having some diffulty in finalizing any activity. Right now I am leaning toward finding a snorkel excusion and there my be one possible with Fantasia/Pat&Diane. I need to find out more since it's a bit of a shorter day in port.

Hi,
I just came back from a week on the Grand Bahama Island (Freeport) staying at the Westin Our Lucaya. Anyone off a ship should take a taxi and spend the day here.It is a gorgeous place if you are looking for a wonderful beach. Grounds are meticulous, there is a swim up bar, all kinds of activities going on. I asked if people from the cruise ship could use the facilities and they said that if you go to the towel hut by the pools, pay $20 per person, you will get a wristband which gives you a towel and a loungechair on the beach. The Sheraton is next door and I mean right next door. Good activities from them, a water slide and music. Food is very expensive there, but right acroos the street from the Westin is a marina, shopping and lots of restaurants and pizza places, Dunkin Donuts etc. Giovanni's is a great Italian Restaurant there. The shrimp scampi is to die for. Remember that when you are in the Bahamas there is a 15% gratuity added to everything so don't double tip unless you want to give more because the service was great. Many of the tour co's are in this area, like Pat & Diane's snorkle excursion. This is probably the safest place on the island with lots of families and a feeling of cleanliness. Tripadvisor gives reviews about the Westin and if you search "Westin Our Lucays Reviews", you can read more about the property. I had a wonderful vacation there and if my next cruise goes to Freeport, you will see me at the Westin. Email me with any other questions. [email]Sally4909@aol.com[/email]

Thanks to all for the info- Sally I may email you and ask a few questions (your review sounds great and I had read about the Westin but did not know if others not staying there could visit
or not). We really want to just relax on a great less crowded beach that has facilities and it seems like there are many possibilities. I am still wondering if anyone out there knows about the RCCL ship offered "Tranquility Shores" beach excursion. I can't get any info on it except from RCCL. Kind of pricey but includes everything. Happy cruising! MO

Am I correct, the cab fare to Port Lucaya is $5.00 pp each way???

Monarch of the Seas 09/92
Majesty of the Seas 11/93
Sovereign of the Seas 09/94
Majesty of the Seas 11/95
Grandeur of the Seas 11/99
Grandeur of the Seas 11/00
Grandeur of the Seas 06/01
Grandeur of the Seas 02/02
Navigator of the Seas 12/02
Rhapsody of the Seas 06/03
Radiance of the Seas 11/03
Grandeur of the Seas 05/04