horizon buffet

williewonka8

The travel mug idea is very interesting. Vis-a-vis the removal of dishes, I strongly feel that it is only fair to tip the steward extra for this endeavor. Also, absent a cruise line directive to leave used dishes outside the room, placing dishes outside the room illustrates one's lack of consideration for the welfare of others.

We brought disposal Rubbermaid containers on our CB cruise last month and used them to bring fruit, crackers and cheese to our cabin to eat on our balcony. Much more sanitary than carrying a plate of food in the elevators.

Or just take another plate, and put it upside down over your food. Just as sanitary, but you don't have to bring anything with you. ;)

quote=Toto2Kansas Or just take another plate, and put it upside down over your food. Just as sanitary, but you don't have to bring anything with you. ;)

Exactly what I do.

I am so glad that ya'll posted this thread; as I sit with my evening cocktail waiting for dinner to be ready. I was wondering if I should bring my own nibbles i.e. peanuts, pretzel chips etc to have when I need something to munch in our cabin. Is there anywhere to procure such items should the munghies arise?

FYI - I worked in the hotel business for a very long time and I would believe that it is the cabin steward's job to remove dirty dishes from my room! A team effort is a team effort. I plan to tip the steward in cash ( a small amount) upon arrival as well as leaving auto tips in place; however, I do tip upon departure if service is above and beyond! ;)

~Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right ~ Robert Hunter

We brought disposal Rubbermaid containers on our CB cruise last month and used them to bring fruit, crackers and cheese to our cabin to eat on our balcony. Much more sanitary than carrying a plate of food in the elevators.

Consider Saran wrap. It's easy to pack, light weight, and can be use for other things during the trip.

just curious is it okay to bring food back to your room.if so do alot of people do it? i would like to know if this is a normal thing everyone does.

Why bring back the food, I order the room service!

When we cruise with our girls, they are always bringing food back to their rooms. I must admit, I do not know who takes those plates away, but I believe it was their steward. I do take that into consideration and leave extra in my tip for the steward. (Heck, I leave extra for my girls' steward to begin with, since I KNOW what a mess they can make of such a small stateroom. How those girls do it is beyond me!)

Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise.

The plates are huge, more like troughs. If you order room service you can hold on to the tray for future use. If you have a plate in one hand and coffee in the next, be ready to use your butt to push the elevator buttons. Doing this will require you to be standing on on leg with items on both hands on a moving ship. Here is a plate from HC, please feel to ignore the omelet, hashbrown, steak, scrambled eggs and bacon. At first I thoughts small trays, nope big plates:p

2931715640101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

they offer steak for breakfast?

We love bring chow back from Horizon Court. We always pick an aft

cabin since it puts us closer to the buffet

:D

Love cheese and bread. This time I think we will bring our own brand

of crackers on board, however, or just some crisps that we like

from Trader Joe's that you can't find on the ship.

they offer steak for breakfast?

Yep and it was quite good:p. Overall Princess has a great buffet, especially for breakfast. You can order omelets but there is no sign, so you will have to ask. If you decide to have lunch in the MDR leave a bit of room because there is always something yummy at HC. Sometimes you will find juicy prime rib seasoned and cooked to perfection. Also fried shrimp the size of my fist with delicious fresh salsa. You will have to get used to getting around the stations but that's another issue.

Yeah, what was your question again...yes, there was steak for breakfast ;)

We booked a Lido cabin and I've already put in my order for breakfast in bed (waiter is DH of course) just a short walk and please don't the rest of you worry, we will just pitch the dirty dishes over the balcony into the sea so no one has to carry them back:D:eek:

I am so glad that ya'll posted this thread; as I sit with my evening cocktail waiting for dinner to be ready. I was wondering if I should bring my own nibbles i.e. peanuts, pretzel chips etc to have when I need something to munch in our cabin. Is there anywhere to procure such items should the munghies arise?

You can order these through room service at no charge. They will bring bowls covered with plastic wrap that you can re-cover and use for several days. :)

Yep and it was quite good:p. Overall Princess has a great buffet, especially for breakfast. You can order omelets but there is no sign, so you will have to ask. If you decide to have lunch in the MDR leave a bit of room because there is always something yummy at HC. Sometimes you will find juicy prime rib seasoned and cooked to perfection. Also fried shrimp the size of my fist with delicious fresh salsa. You will have to get used to getting around the stations but that's another issue.

Yeah, what was your question again...yes, there was steak for breakfast ;)

I must have missed those large shrimp. LOL :D

I must have missed those large shrimp. LOL :D

Please tell me that you didn't mis 'dem' hot wings. Those were the size of my palm. Ok, I might have a 'small' problem distinguishing between 'sizes':D

In the buffet they weren't afraid to make the food with spice and flavor. The hot wings were hot, the salsa was spicy and the prime was rib juicy.

I might not be taking a plate back to my room but the MDR. I like the more formal setting for dinner.

For those who are critisizing leaving the dirty dishes outside the stateroom, please know that most people are doing this because that is/was the accepted/expected/required procedure in most land based hotels It was the correct way to do this when you were finished with a room service meal, and I am sure most on the cruise who do this are assuming the procedure is the same on sea as it is on land. They probably have no idea they are disturbing others, and see it as the appropriate procedure, and would never do it to be inconsiderate.

I am 100 percent sure it was not left overs from the MDR. I tired the steak or whatever form of beef they had in the MDR and it was downright bland. This was flavorful with a nice texture. On the other hand maybe their beef needs to sit for a day or two for the 'flava' to soak in:p When ever it was cooked, it left me wanting more. I can't say the same about most of the dishes I tried in the MDR;) If it was leftover, then Princess knows how to do one more thing right

just curious is it okay to bring food back to your room.if so do alot of people do it? i would like to know if this is a normal thing everyone does.

I really like bringing the food back to our room so we can enjoy it on our own balcony (permitting that there are no seagulls flying around!). I noticed quite a few people did, ESPECIALLY when there is NO SEATING ROOM at the buffet (which we experienced every morning during breakfast).

We saw quite a few people put the dishes outside the room when they're done and the stewards would just come and pick them up.

Archived