What does the $4.95 surcharge get you at Johnny Rockets?

It is? I have to say that I had never heard of it before it was mentioned on this thread!

It sure is. I grew up in NE and the apple pie and cheese is very common and is on tons of menus.

As alphakitty stated, if you search the origins it appears to have come from across the pond.

Oceanboy

My thoughts exactly. I figured I didn't get out enough. A popular combo here would be clamcakes and chowda.

Sheal

Now that is something to make this New Englander's mouth water!!!!!!! And I am right with you on the oreo sundae. Usually by the time I get to it I wish that I had not eaten so much of the greasy food so that I had room for a second.

Well, the clam cakes and chowda go without saying...that is if you are having RI chowda, which is clear broth of course. :D

I guess the cheddar cheese/apple pie thing is probably old fashioned now. That's why you youngins don't know about it. LOL

Born and raised here....my mom is of English decent...her English family often had the cheese/pie combo on holidays.

alphakitty,

Something else that breaks tradition. Most of our extended family likes the white, only my mother and father-in-law prefer the red. Me, I only eat the potatoes and only from the red. Oh but I'll take a clamcake any day. Just free to leave out the clams. Plenty of places around here do just that!:)

Some Rhode Islander huh? My husband spent many years quahogging for a living when he was an late teen, early twenties. Our first date was out on his skiff.

Late congratulations on winning a cruise (or two). I met a clerk at a store in Garden City who had won a trip, one of the "win a cruise" bingos while onboard with her sister. Her husband was in the army and it was to be his first cruise. I was so excited for them.

I guess the cheddar cheese/apple pie thing is probably old fashioned now. That's why you youngins don't know about it. LOL

Born and raised here....my mom is of English decent...her English family often had the cheese/pie combo on holidays.

I've surveyed the entire population of GB and no region professes to know about Apple pie and Cheddar Cheese together. It's definately NOT an English dish, (though it may have been eaten together by some institutionalised, insane types pre 1950)

Some say that someone visiting from America years ago mistakenly thought (or was told with irony) that custard was Cheddar cheese and told folks once they got back to the USA that we ate our pie with cheese and in some states it was believed. Others say that Americans put cheese on top of everything, but I couldn't possibly comment, though I look forward to trying it when I visit JR's while aboard.

Tally Ho!

what does it get you? Another opportunity to spend your money on board and for RCI to make more revenue!!

Not worth it when u can just go to Johnny Rockets on land or go to Steak & Shake for a meal under $4 that they advertise!!

I've surveyed the entire population of GB and no region professes to know about Apple pie and Cheddar Cheese together. It's definately NOT an English dish, (though it may have been eaten together by some institutionalised, insane types pre 1950)

Some say that someone visiting from America years ago mistakenly thought (or was told with irony) that custard was Cheddar cheese and told folks once they got back to the USA that we ate our pie with cheese and in some states it was believed. Others say that Americans put cheese on top of everything, but I couldn't possibly comment, though I look forward to trying it when I visit JR's while aboard.

Tally Ho!

HiYa Rose :) Ok ..pardon the totally off topic folks. :)

I found this reference (one of many with Google) of the history of apple pie and cheddar cheese.

http://www.maybenow.com/What-is-the-history-of-apple-pie-q12401023

One combination of flavors common in the nineteenth century and earlier, which was referred to in English novels of the time, was apple pie and cheese (usually sharp cheddar cheese). This was because apples were not always sweet; the leading sweet variety, Red Delicious, wasn't developed until 1868. The sharpness of the cheese combines with the tartness of the apple and so produces an appealing taste. While its popularity has waned as modern pies have become sweeter, some people still enjoy this combination. In Yorkshire, for example, apple pies are baked with cheddar cheese or served with a hard crumbly cheese such as Cheshire alongside.

Alphakitty, thank you for your research, very informative, but I can tell you that we definately Don't eat apple pie with cheese in Yorkshire (that's where I am now), but I am going to make it my mission to find a Yorkshire baker who does make cheesy apple pie!

Sorry to the rest of you who thought you were on the RCI forum and not the Gordon Ramsey / Tyler Florence forum.

Pukka!

Archived