Empress hotel tea

shofer

Has anyone done the Afternoon tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria? We are going on a family cruise and the ladies would really like to do this. Does anyone know how much it costs? Also can you substitute coffee and/or wine? Were you pleased w/what you received for how much you paid or did you consider it a big rip-off?

Any responses welcome, Thanks!

You are going to receive good, bad and indifferent responses. Personally, I think there are a lot nicer places in Victoria to have afternoon tea for less money. You can substitute coffee but if you want wine, you'll pay extra for it. Here is the link to their website.

http://www.fairmont.com/empress/GuestServices/Restaurants/AfternoonTea.htm

... can you substitute coffee and/or wine?

That's all I needed to see to know that you wouldn't like it. Victoria is as British a town as you can get outside Britain and Afternoon Tea is a British tradition that nobody does better than the Empress (or at least that was the case 20 years ago before it was a cruise-ship excursion).

consider it a big rip-off?

The one at the Empress is FAR overpriced IMO for what you get. There are several other teahouses in Victoria (which you can easily "google" or check with the tourism kiosk at the inner harbour) which are far more reasonably priced and just as nice an experience if you'd like an afternoon tea.

We did the Empress Hi Tea about ten years ago. I agree with the other posters - it was overpriced. I think it cost us about $40pp then. That being said, we enjoyed the experience, but would opt for tea elsewher a second time in Victoria. I think it is something that I would only do once.

For us, the cost (last I knew it was C$50 pp) was out of whack with the value, but YMMV.

Kudos to all in this thread for resisting the temptation to call it "high" tea, which it isn't.

If you want coffee or wine, skip the experience. In any case I don't think it is worth the cost. Way out of my budget.

Thanks to all who answered. I had no idea that it was so expensive, even in Canadian dollars. Only 2-3 people out of the 12 wanted coffee or wine. I think we might try another place for our "tea" experience.

This was my idea and now that I got everyone all excited about it I will have to come up w/an alternative venue. I will Google Victoria for other afternoon tea places. Who knows, maybe we will just do the Gardens and have tea on the ship!

Archived